The 5/27/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for those taking the MCAT on May 27, 2008.
I wanted to see if we could get discussions going on how to schedule a game plan to tackle this test in three months time.

I have Kaplan review books and I am going to have to use them cause I dont have anything else.

I will eventually have a regimen on my own personal plan of attack and stick it out here so I can hear your criticisms =]

come on guys, lets shoot for 30+ scores!!!!

-matt

Members don't see this ad.

Bazaar, what was the highest practice test score you had? And which AAMC test was that? Man, that is truly amazing....congrats.

280... 9-10 -9 ... a few points below my average... but honesty i thought i wqalked out thinking i did much much worse. Soo... i will retake and for now im just happy that a 27 is good enough for DO. What do you guys think... 3.6 science gpa - 3.56 overall and a 280. Is this ok for most DO schools?

Last edited:
AVERAGE SCORES
VR: -
PS: -
BS: -
I scored somewhere in the 30s at home but I was usually pretty distracted.

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 11
PS: - 13
BS: - 13
WS: - O

5/27 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
PS: - 12
BS: - 14
WS: - N :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys, I was expecting around 32-35, but I got 8 VR 11 PS 11 BS..

Is the 8 VR going to hurt me?? I got a 3.8 GPA with good ECs and experience. I am not looking at Harvard, JHU, ect.. just like NYMC, SLU, UIC, and so forth. So should i retake?? Please comment because I am in a debacle right now.

Your GPA should be high enough for you to not have to worry about that 8VR. Just apply broadly and you will be fine.

AVERAGE SCORES
VR: - 9
PS: - 10
BS: - 11

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - bad
PS: - bad
BS: - bad
WS: - bad

5/27 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
PS: - 09
BS: - 12
WS: - R

PS sucked so much... and I still got a 9! And what the f*ck with the R - I'm a bio major! :p I'm seriously on Cloud 9!

congrats to all! seems like some amazing scores have emerged. So many 14s and 15s for BS. When you came out of the exam did you feel like BS was really easy or do you think it was a generous scale?

i am a june 13er just trying to see what your thoughts on this scale were... congrats Bazaar on your amazing jump

definitely looking for an idea of how many you left on teh exam feeling unsure about and what not
thanks

Last edited:
Wow, I realize my first post wasn't helpful at all, but I was busy screaming and running around and cracking open the champagne! :D

AVERAGE SCORES
VR: - 11.4
PS: - 8.6
BS: - 9.8
Total Average: - 29.8

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: - 10
PS: - 7
BS: - 8

5/27 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
VR: - 13
BS: - 14
WS: - P

That's right! From a 29.8 average to a 37 on the real thing! And the best news of all is that I am a linkage applicant which means that I am starting medical school in August... THIS AUGUST!!!!!!!!!!
:hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:

Is that even possible?!! I'm amazed!! Were your practice tests AAMCs or others?

And of course, CONGRATS!! Just awesome.

35N ! ... im neither happy nor sad .. weird feeling !

PS-12
VR-9
BS-14

Will that mediocre combination of VR and writing section hurt my chances for top schools?

Comments on mdapp profile are more than welcome

Congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted!

Averages:

VR: 11
PS: 11
BS: 11

Predicted:

VR: 8-9
PS: 13
BS: 11

Actual 5/27

VR: 11
PS: 12
BS: 14
WS: R

37R!!!!! Holy crap I thought I did so much worse than that!! I thought I had done really well in PS and not great in BS. Do we have to send our scores? My app is already in and verified is there anything else I need to do??

35N ! ... im neither happy nor sad .. weird feeling !

PS-12
VR-9
BS-14

Will that mediocre combination of VR and writing section hurt my chances for top schools?

Comments on mdapp profile are more than welcome

Congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted!

dude, u got a 35, go jump up and down, verbal 9 is probably most people's dream score

congrats everyone! i'm soo excited!!!

15, 13, 15 T!!!!!!!!

43T baby!!!!!! all that work paid off!

good luck to everyone in the admissions process!!!

Wow! You guys did great!!!! I am in the 5/31 group and am anxiously waiting for our scores! Congrats!!!:hardy: Now go enjoy the rest of your summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
All of my practice tests were AAMC tests. My highest practice score was a 32 on practice test #3.

Yeah, about the 14 on bio. I didn't feel good about bio. Not as bad as PS, but I felt like it was really challenging. I guess I just got in the zone.

I can barely type, my hands are shaking. :D

^Congrats CYH!! I can't believe you were going to void your test!! What score were you expecting?

I was expecting a score between 32-37. I know that's a large range but I was really bad at predicting my practice test scores. I was hoping I didn't score below a 30 because I really didn't want to take the MCAT a second time.

Hey everyone, I'm here to be further inspiration for those who initially scored quite low. Last May I took the MCAT and got a 23R. I thought my hopes of Med School were vanished. I just got my May 27 score and got a 31T. Please know that improvement is quite possible - I'm so happy and finally know that I'll become a doctor now :)

Wow!:eek::eek::eek: You guys are so amazing! It blows my mind how a 35+ is a dime a dozen score here on SDN. Congrats on such great scores!!!!!:thumbup:

It would be nice if the people who did not score extremely high would still post their scores. It gives a better perspective to those who did not do as well as they would have liked. I am also surprised by how many people did so poorly on the writing section (myself included).

I did better than I thought on PS and kinda bad on VR... I thought I did bad on PS so I was thinking about the whole time I did the VR lol I think that messed me up a bit

Practice Test Avg: 33

Actual: 30Q 10/8/12

Hey everyone, I've been lurking in this thread for awhile since my 5/27 MCAT and I am simply amazed at how supportive people are to each other, even as medical school is such a competitive process.

Anyways I took the test last year in august, didn't study and thought it was a purely logic based exam. I ended up with a 27 and was quite depressed for a little while. But just spending half of year of studying (spring semester) even with classes and 2 jobs I ended up getting a 35O this time. I've never got higher than a 10 on the verbal on any of my practice exams and ended up with a 11 this time.

To all of those who did well congrats. And to all who did not get what they wanted, don't lose heart... stay focused and use that motivation for the retake. I was in the same position a year ago.

Best wishes to all, peace.

EDIT:
Oh and Uriel Septim, I thought the Mythic Dawn got you a couple of years back...

Last edited:
I am new to this forum but I have been reading about it for the last month. You guys have been truly great!

This is my second time taking it. The first time I got a 30Q and my range was from 32-37 on my practice tests.

My actual MCAT score for 5/27 is 12PS 12V 12BS = 36P

My practice score range was 34-37.

I wanted to share my experience because I haven't been able to sleep for the last month because I was sure I had scored lower than 30. I almost voided my exam and did not have a good experience. But, now I am really glad I didn't void.

So, to everyone who is retaking, it can happen!

Congratulations to everyone who got their desired score and Good Luck to everyone who is trying again. You can do it!

Good luck everyone and you guys are great!

AVERAGE SCORES
PS: - 9

PREDICTED SCORES
I really had no idea after I took it. I was thinking possibly 27-30

5/27 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
Total: - 31P

Overall, I'm very happy with my score. I kept telling myself anything above a 29 and I wouldn't retake. I hope to go to med school somewhere in the Chicagoland area. Anybody have any tips as to where my best shot to get in would be at? My GPA is ~3.65 and I have a bunch of solid EC's. I hope to finish my AMCAS within the next 2 weeks.

i just got home and made the terrible mistake of coming here instead of checking my score first and now i can't even bring myself to look. can i hire one of you to look at my score and break the news to me nicely?

Hey everyone, I've been lurking in this thread for awhile since my 5/27 MCAT and I am simply amazed at how supportive people are to each other, even as medical school is such a competitive process.

Anyways I took the test last year in august, didn't study and thought it was a purely logic based exam. I ended up with a 27 and was quite depressed for a little while. But just spending half of year of studying (spring semester) even with classes and 2 jobs I ended up getting a 35O this time. I've never got higher than a 10 on the verbal on any of my practice exams and ended up with a 11 this time.

To all of those who did well congrats. And to all who did not get what they wanted, don't lose heart... stay focused and use that motivation for the retake. I was in the same position a year ago.

Best wishes to all, peace.

EDIT:
Oh and Uriel Septim, I thought the Mythic Dawn got you a couple of years back...

Maybe he is really Mankar Cameron.

i just got home and made the terrible mistake of coming here instead of checking my score first and now i can't even bring myself to look. can i hire one of you to look at my score and break the news to me nicely?

lol if you're serious, I'll do it for you.

The best thing to do is to log in and then wait five minutes before looking. When I opened mine and saw the new screen, my adrenaline levels sky rocketed. I felt as though I had just had a gun pointed at me. Wait five minutes and you'll be fine.

V: 10, PS: 12 BS: 12 Writing: Q

Overall, I'm extremely pleased, especially considering that I went from a 10-9-10 two years ago. I guess I should be a little unhappy with my BS score considering that I just did a SMP program, but I think I'm in a good place to get interviews now.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm SO HAPPY!!!! I even had my car slammed from behind on the way to work 30 min ago, but that doesn't matter, because I'm so HAPPPY!!!

My Aug 06 score: 24M

My avg test score: around 26

My highest test score (which was my last practice test): 30

My score: 31Q!!!!!

Greatest day ever!

did any of you think you bombed a section (and by bombed i mean BOMBED, none of this "i usually get 14's on this section and i totally bombed with a 12), and then done surprisingly better than expected? im a 6/13er and we're all crying Uncle on our PS section... 7 is my lucky number! ahaha.

and congrats everyone!! these scores are amazing!! good luck with the rest of the app process!!

The best thing to do is to log in and then wait five minutes before looking. When I opened mine and saw the new screen, my adrenaline levels sky rocketed. I felt as though I had just had a gun pointed at me. Wait five minutes and you'll be fine.

This is very true. I saw that the screen had updated and decided just to go for it and see. I started freaking out and called my mom right away... before I was able to form coherent words. I was screaming and babbling, and she thought I was being murdered. Whoops. :rolleyes:

Seriously, great job everyone. So many people seem to have reached or exceeded their goals. For those of you who are retaking, be sure to read some of the improvements we have seen here and on the 5/23 boards. You can do it! :love:

did any of you think you bombed a section (and by bombed i mean BOMBED, none of this "i usually get 14's on this section and i totally bombed with a 12), and then done surprisingly better than expected? im a 6/13er and we're all crying Uncle on our PS section... 7 is my lucky number! ahaha.

and congrats everyone!! these scores are amazing!! good luck with the rest of the app process!!

I really honestly thought I bombed PS. I had tiny little tears slipping out during that first section. It was a terrible feeling, and I cried after the test was over. It was my lowest section, but in reality I scored much higher than I ever could have predicted.

Yes I thought I bombed verbal. I literally guessed on the last two passages because I was running out of time. I figured I would get a 7 or worse, but I ended up with a nine.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm SO HAPPY!!!! I even had my car slammed from behind on the way to work 30 min ago, but that doesn't matter, because I'm so HAPPPY!!!

My Aug 06 score: 24M

My avg test score: around 26

My highest test score (which was my last practice test): 30

My score: 31Q!!!!!

Greatest day ever!

That is a major improvement. Congratulations!

I honestly forgot about scores being released today because I was working all day... I took my shoes off and said "OH **** MCAT!" lol

34R - suck it fire-alarm-tripping construction workers :laugh:

PS - 11 (on par with practices)
VR - 10 (below practice average by ~2 points; not bad for missing the entire last passage though)
BS - 13 (on par)

Felt I could have done much better on writing, but I was still shaky after the whole disaster that was verbal.

Wonder what I would have gotten without that fiasco. Then again, I don't care because I'm so glad I don't need to take it again! I hope everyone is pleased or at least content with what they got. Bunch of good people in this thread.

I seriously thought I had bombed PS. I was getting 14s and 15s, and I thought I might have gotten an 8 or 9. I ended up getting a 14.

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of mad at myself. During the actual test, I freaked out so much about the first section that I think it affected me on VR and BS :(.

I don't think I'm retaking, but if there's one thing I could pass on to future retakers, it's this: don't panic if you think you did terrible on a section, because it can only mess you up on further sections.

I seriously thought I had bombed PS. I was getting 14s and 15s, and I thought I might have gotten an 8 or 9. I ended up getting a 14.

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of mad at myself. During the actual test, I freaked out so much about the first section that I think it affected me on VR and BS :(.

I don't think I'm retaking, but if there's one thing I could pass on to future retakers, it's this: don't panic if you think you did terrible on a section, because it can only mess you up on further sections.

You got a 38 and you don't THINK you're retaking?????? Dude, someone needs to smack you!

:laugh::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Talk about a lack of humility.

AVERAGE SCORES
PS: - 9

PREDICTED SCORES
I really had no idea after I took it. I was thinking possibly 27-30

5/27 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
Total: - 31P

Overall, I'm very happy with my score. I kept telling myself anything above a 29 and I wouldn't retake. I hope to go to med school somewhere in the Chicagoland area. Anybody have any tips as to where my best shot to get in would be at? My GPA is ~3.65 and I have a bunch of solid EC's. I hope to finish my AMCAS within the next 2 weeks.

Are you from Illinois? Apply to Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola and UIC. I wouldn't bother with Northwestern or UofChicago.

There you go, I replied to your post.;)

270... 9-9 -9 ... a few points below my average... but honesty i thought i wqalked out thinking i did much much worse. Soo... i will retake and for now im just happy that a 27 is good enough for DO. What do you guys think... 3.5 science gpa - 3.4 overall and a 270. Is this ok for most DO schools?

You are golden for Admissions to a D.O. school.

Thank you. I am going out to dinner to celebrate tonight. :cool:

There's an NBA draft party at our stadium...someone I know has tickets for a VIP suite, so we get lots of free food! Get to watch to see if my team can pull themselves out of the cellar.

And then I'm going to my first midnight showing of a movie: WallE.

Yay! Enjoy your dinner!