The 7/08/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
didnt see a thread for this date yet and I just switched mine from June 13th, so hope the extra time will help, Im about to take my 2nd FL (1st one MCAT CBT #7 VR-14,PS-5,BS-10) how is everyone else coming along????

Members don't see this ad.

I just realized that I trick myself into thinking that I'm studying by restricting myself to my bedroom, but in reality all I do is play guitar and read these forums. Somehow I have a feeling I'm not the only one...

I just realized that I trick myself into thinking that I'm studying by restricting myself to my bedroom, but in reality all I do is play guitar and read these forums. Somehow I have a feeling I'm not the only one...

You're not.

I'm getting really nervous and scared. I have lots of content to go over and a few practice tests to take as well.

What is the synthesis supposed to be in the writing sample? I get the 'thesis' and 'antithesis'.

basically you want to "synthesize" or "reconcile" the two opposing points. how can both coexist? suppose you get a prompt that says, "The MCAT is the best measure of a students ability to succeed in medical school (yeah right!)". youre thesis says "the mcat is best because...(w/example)". youre antithesis says "the MCAT is not the best measure because... (w/example)". youre synthesis will go into both the usefulness of the MCAT... but that the success of a medical student is much more than just a test score. youll bring up other aspects of the pre-med student, and basically synthesize the two arguments you proposed earlier. its really easy to BS this part!

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know why everyone on here calls the 3rd part "synthesis." just read the instructions. it asks you to give your opinion on which side you agree with. so do just that, give your opinion. basically, it's just a summary of the 1st 2 parts but you conclude what you personally think is correct. i always say "in this circumstance, it's like this....in this other circumstance i agree with the other side..." blah blah.

i didn't practice the writing once and got an R. i didn't finish either essay, either. that shows all you have to do is BS it and follow the instructions.

At this time next week we will be DONE with the MCAT!:D

oh my I just read this and I think I might puke, only one more week left, yikes!!!!! well I guess we can always take it again so this one will just be a practice right;)

basically you want to "synthesize" or "reconcile" the two opposing points. how can both coexist? suppose you get a prompt that says, "The MCAT is the best measure of a students ability to succeed in medical school (yeah right!)". youre thesis says "the mcat is best because...(w/example)". youre antithesis says "the MCAT is not the best measure because... (w/example)". youre synthesis will go into both the usefulness of the MCAT... but that the success of a medical student is much more than just a test score. youll bring up other aspects of the pre-med student, and basically synthesize the two arguments you proposed earlier. its really easy to BS this part!

A conclusion then? got it.

oh my I just read this and I think I might puke, only one more week left, yikes!!!!! well I guess we can always take it again so this one will just be a practice right;)

I think my sympathetic nervous system is at works.

so what is everyone doing to prepare this last week??? me I am trying to finish some content review- I know I should have done it by now, but its electrochemistry and light and optics so I figure I cant skip that, than I plan to review everything and take 2 more practice tests, but at 10-12 hours a day I am so sick of all this!!!

That's really what I'm doing. Finishing up physics between now and tomorrow. Then Orgo. Anyone know of a good way to review orgo?

That's really what I'm doing. Finishing up physics between now and tomorrow. Then Orgo. Anyone know of a good way to review orgo?
I figure that this is the least covered therefore I am just going over the EK flashcards and a bit of review on Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2, oxygen stuff and basic stuff ya know just to get the basics covered, other than that I have no clue

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took AAMC 9 today, and I believe I'm going to take AAMC 10 on Saturday. That way I'll have two days to recoup and be fresh and ready to tackly the real thing Tuesday. I don't know what other peoples' schedules are like, but this week is me training to wake up at 6:30 since I'm used to being a bum and sleeping till noon.

Remember to eat right, get good sleep and exercise a small amount every day leading up, and don't over-do it! The last thing you want is to be sick or exahusted going into the exam. Remember, you can learn all the facts in the world, but at the end of the day it's mostly a reasoning exam so prepare accordingly!

Hey Prozak,

My schedule and yours are almost identitical...I took AAMC 9 on Weds and am taking AAMC 10 tommorrow :).

I also wrote aamc 9 today, I 'll write aamc 10 saturday (well, technically it is saturday already...:rolleyes:)

Best of luck to us all!

ahh 4 more days!
which means 3 more days of light reviewing.
i just been doing tests, 4 hours/day
pretty burnt out already.
=/

Just relax...I think its more important to not be burned out than it is to get those extra last hours of studying in. Trust what you have done already :)

ok maybe you guys can help me out I am trying to decide either to keep doing complete review of all of my notes for all sections and taking my last practice MCAT tomorrow #10, or take a practice test today #9 review it and all areas that I do poorly in, and then take #10 tomorrow and do the same??? Basically trying to decide to base what to study on the practice tests or just go over everything??? I am thinking everything as of now since most people say that the practice tests are not doing a great job comparing to the real thing, so i was thinking that as much review as possible of basic stuff will help, but this would mean less practice tests, any suggestions????

I have been getting 28s on the past 3 AAMC and 1 kaplan test!! I don't know what to do.. Last two tests (10PS, 10V, 8BS and 10PS, 9V, 9BS) Stuck in a rut. I've gotten a 10 on all sections before, but never all at one time. Why is breaking 30 so difficult?

Any advice?

At this point, I will go in to take the test, and void it if I don't feel stellar... which will probably be the case considering that I've been getting the same score..

i been getting 8's on verbal in princeton review, from 10's last week
whats happening to me!!
what should i do- any last minute tips?

what are you guys doing for the last 2 days of studying

are princeton review tests generally harder than AAMC?

Thanks guys!

If I were you, I'd just not even look at verbal for the last 2 days. Obviously, you know how to do verbal and are capable of it - you're probably just so saturated with it that you need a little bit of a break. Chilling out and recharging your batteries will probably be most helpful at this point. Just be ready to go in test day and give it your all.

If I were you, I'd just not even look at verbal for the last 2 days. Obviously, you know how to do verbal and are capable of it - you're probably just so saturated with it that you need a little bit of a break. Chilling out and recharging your batteries will probably be most helpful at this point. Just be ready to go in test day and give it your all.

soon we'll be all done studying!!! :D good luck guys

OH MY GOD IT ALMOST HERE!!!!! :scared::scared: thats how I have been feeling for days!!! well studying is slow, heart rate is fast (they should make an equation from that :D) soon this round will be done and hopefully none of us will ever have to touch it again (just in case I am signing up for it again in August) well just spending the last bit studying gen chem and then taking #10 practice test tonight, reviewing that tomorrow along with Org, verbal, and writing. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!! who knows maybe we will all be able to post in the 30+ thread soon:thumbup::D

GOOD LUCK, Y'all!!

Kick some serious ass!! [I am not quite sure if I can say this,, oh well.] :D

oh no guys I just took AAMC #10 practice test and I got a 20!!!!! The exam is in two days I dont know what to do , this score is much lower than any of my others and I studied I ton before it as compared with the others, anyone think this could just be a fluke, I am tired and stressed, but I have more info under my belt than ever!!!! and I was very tired before when i have taken practice tests, I found the material on #10 much different than the material on the other, but I dont know if this is the trend (if the material on #10 is most representative of how the test will be on tues or not???) Should I take it on Tues or take it later (I know I cant reschedule now, I mean just take it and void bc of this score)??? I have low stats and wanted to apply early I plan on having everything else in before this score is released and if I got a bad score I was going to retake at the end of August but I dont know if I should just wait till then to take it for the first time or use that date as a retake??? I cannot take it earlier than the end of august if need be, please help!!!

Anyone else have comments about AAMC 10? I was going to save that until 2 days before test date but I don't want it to demoralize me if it's way out there...

Even if it does demoralize, the underdog status can have mighty effects. And MCAT is all about your mental strength. Fake your confidence until you bloody make it.

KStateDoc:
Is it cool to use the last day just to memorise formulas, look over some important concepts, and kind of refresh yourself with notecards and notes?

oh no guys I just took AAMC #10 practice test and I got a 20!!!!! The exam is in two days I dont know what to do , this score is much lower than any of my others and I studied I ton before it as compared with the others, anyone think this could just be a fluke, I am tired and stressed, but I have more info under my belt than ever!!!! and I was very tired before when i have taken practice tests, I found the material on #10 much different than the material on the other, but I dont know if this is the trend (if the material on #10 is most representative of how the test will be on tues or not???) Should I take it on Tues or take it later (I know I cant reschedule now, I mean just take it and void bc of this score)??? I have low stats and wanted to apply early I plan on having everything else in before this score is released and if I got a bad score I was going to retake at the end of August but I dont know if I should just wait till then to take it for the first time or use that date as a retake??? I cannot take it earlier than the end of august if need be, please help!!!

Hi Dreams,

I feel like you an i are in the exact same boat. I didn't go thru with june 13 exam either, but I don't really feel prepared this go around... I've been stuck at 28, and I was going to take #10 today but didn't end up doing so simply b/c I was just too stressed out. I don't really have very much good advice to tell u but just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone! I may go in on Tuesday and use it as a practice test..

If you have been consistently scoring better than what you did today, and are happy with your scores, I think you should be fine - most likely just nerves.

thanks for all the words of advice everyone, today I am just going over stuff till 5, then driving to another city for the MCAT and who knows maybe it will turn out ok, or just be a really expensive practice test:) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

I agree that #10's material might have been slightly different, but a score drop probably should be something to think over. My score on #10 stayed right in range of my other practice tests so I don't think it was an overly unfair test or anything. If you feel like you did on the real thing like you did on that test, it's probably a good idea to drop - but if you feel good, get it graded and see how it turns out!

good luck everyone, hope it goes well for everybody and hope we get a great curve!!!!

Goodluck guys!!!! It wasnt long ago I was in your shoes. Its nervewrecking, but remain confident! You've put alot into this and now its time to cash out. I know it easier said than done, but treat it like its just another practice test

Go get em guys!! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

ok that sucked for me, it seemed the passages were much longer than in any practice tests. Overall I think people are going to do really well on it, not to much hard info, I just didnt know my stuff enough, well I am trying to sign up for a new test date but it wont let me, anyone know how soon we can sign up for a different date???

ok that sucked for me, it seemed the passages were much longer than in any practice tests. Overall I think people are going to do really well on it, not to much hard info, I just didnt know my stuff enough, well I am trying to sign up for a new test date but it wont let me, anyone know how soon we can sign up for a different date???

2 days

As soon as it is officially determined that you have tested / AAMC database is updated, you can register for another administration. Most likely tomorrow. Maybe you didn't do so bad. Make sure you know your score before you decide to retest.

What kinda biology section was it? Did Genetic Molecular, Physiology or Orgo stick out more than normal?