The 9/4/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed up for it today! Who else is taking it at this date?

Members don't see this ad.

I just started. I have a TPR class scheduled from 6/15 - 8/11. Right now, I'm gonna try to go through EK. What are you going to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started. I have a TPR class scheduled from 6/15 - 8/11. Right now, I'm gonna try to go through EK. What are you going to do?

Well! I got ALL MCAT books from libararies in my area like 2 months ago and study when I get time. I am still a pre-med and will be applying for 2011 med programs. Thought, it would nice to start studying now and by the time I am ready to take MCAT(most probably in September 09) I will be fully prepared.

I'm signed up for the 12th but will probably push back to january

OMG so far away...
Tip: IMO TPR's verbal strat is horrible. I know your course is far away but just take that particular section with a grain of salt.

1-2 weeks of covering all the topics then Im on my way to practice test boot camp ! LOL.....

:The universe rewards ACTION!!!! :luck:

Good Luck Last Polar Pear with TPR. I took the course as well earlier. Let me know if you need some guidance..

1-2 weeks of covering all the topics then Im on my way to practice test boot camp ! LOL.....

:The universe rewards ACTION!!!! :luck:

Good Luck Last Polar Pear with TPR. I took the course as well earlier. Let me know if you need some guidance..

OMG so far away...
Tip: IMO TPR's verbal strat is horrible. I know your course is far away but just take that particular section with a grain of salt.

Yeah, TPR's verbal strat isn't my cup of tea. I'm thinking of using EK's strategy.

AliDe, what do you think of TPR's verbal strategy?

Yeah, TPR's verbal strat isn't my cup of tea. I'm thinking of using EK's strategy.

AliDe, what do you think of TPR's verbal strategy?

I think TPRs verbal strategy is reasonable. Reading is good practice and what I mean by that is reading something outside of the norm. Im reading some of my HS old english novels such as The age of Extremes by Eric Hobshawn or you can go to www.scientificamerican.com and read those articles as well as www.biomedcentral.com, etc... The point is to read and decipher what the author is trying to convey.. Practice is the key, practice and practice. What you get wrong understand why you got it wrong and try not to make the same mistake again.:)

I here Ek's strategy is good as well. I plan to use the EK's 101 verbal passages as well along with TPR, you can never have enough practice:D

Last Polar Bear, Hows the physical section going for you?

Also peep this website out for the organic section:

www.cheapsoftware.com/organicreactions.htm enjoy:laugh:

hi all!! i have two sets of books from the complete kaplan course i took last summer. i NEVER wrote in any of the books and would be willing to part with each set (5 big books, flash cards, and laminates) for $150. pm me if interested.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! the studying is rough, but worth it when all is said and done!!

I might be joining you guys for a retake on this day, or I'll wait until January. In any case, good luck with your reviewing!

Members don't see this ad :)
im still in the content review phase and will probably be so until early august...then a month of practice tests i guess! do you guys think a month of practice tests is enough?

im still in the content review phase and will probably be so until early august...then a month of practice tests i guess! do you guys think a month of practice tests is enough?

I'm in a similar schedule as you. However, I'll have about 2.5 weeks of practice tests since i plan on ending close to mid august. It's gonna be crazy. It should be enough, especially if you've got everything down at that time. I'm already getting chills, the big day is coming up faster than I thought. Good luck people.

Hey fellas, signed up yesterday for this date. Decided I'm applying next year so moved my re-take from August to 9/4. I need to speed up my content review, fell a bit behind my schedule in June. Have a ton more practice planned out this time, so hopefully I do whats right this go. In April, I let myself get flustered after thinking I blew PS (and I didn't do half bad for running out of time).

Good luck everyone! Let's kill it.

Hi everyone!

I'm taking the test on 9/3, just registered yesterday. :scared: Anybody feel panicked after registering? After all, it's kinda official now. And judging from the couple of TPR full-lengths I've taken... let's just say I've got a looong way to go. :laugh:

Anyways, I'm taking the TPR Hyperlearning course too. It's a ton of work, but their material is pretty good.

Hey everyone.
I have been an avid follower of this site for quite some time and decided to join it and I too am a September 4th guy....
I am taking TPR Hyperlearning class and am using EK bio and EK orgo as a supplement...
I am sure alot of us are starting to get a bit on track when it comes to disciplining our schedules and studying efficiently.

I wish you all the best of luck studying and I know I will need you guys sooner or later!!!

So, 9/4 is pretty late for any soon-to-be seniors applying this session. So are many of you guys juniors taking the test essentially a year early as well :D? (besides post-bacs and lag yearers of course)

So, 9/4 is pretty late for any soon-to-be seniors applying this session. So are many of you guys juniors taking the test essentially a year early as well :D? (besides post-bacs and lag yearers of course)

Good assessment. I was originally planning on applying this cycle, but am not happy with my April test score, and after getting settled again and motivated to take the near three months to prep and sit for 9/4 and apply next cycle. However, I'm a grad student, holding off the cycle allowed me to focus on my project/publications and volunteer more this semester.

For undergrads I don't think its a bad idea at all, if you're prepared and took your prereqs already, to take the test a year before the app cycle. Less stress for the upcoming year, and if you so happen to not be happy with your score there is always January or April right around the corner.

Good assessment. I was originally planning on applying this cycle, but am not happy with my April test score, and after getting settled again and motivated to take the near three months to prep and sit for 9/4 and apply next cycle. However, I'm a grad student, holding off the cycle allowed me to focus on my project/publications and volunteer more this semester.

For undergrads I don't think its a bad idea at all, if you're prepared and took your prereqs already, to take the test a year before the app cycle. Less stress for the upcoming year, and if you so happen to not be happy with your score there is always January or April right around the corner.

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm signed up for 9/4 too...kinda worried right now because I'm still pretty far behind in my content review and I want to shift gears to practice exams by next month =/ Oh well, we'll see how it goes!

I'm signed up for 9/4 too...kinda worried right now because I'm still pretty far behind in my content review and I want to shift gears to practice exams by next month =/ Oh well, we'll see how it goes!

I'm sort of in the same boat. Bad stroke of luck has me behind about 4 days in review time.

I'm sort of in the same boat. Bad stroke of luck has me behind about 4 days in review time.

Yeah, I need to up the tempo myself. Opps, guess my problem was not doing enough in June (didn't have tbr books yet, took a bit of a break after last mcat, shadowing, yada yada yada). I think I can crunch these next two weeks, have a day or two off and jump into the practice tests. That's my plan.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of studying all ready? I have been studying since June (minus a week) but can't wait to get over this thing all ready. Had a real rough year too loaded with upper division bio's so I really need to get away from the books. But oh well, gotta suck it up.

haha. AGREED, hopefullkid. i've been studying since may and i'm still getting ****ty FL scores back. just gonna have to suck it up and get through the rest of FL's, the topicals, the sections, high yield guides...

miles to go before i sleep :) cheer up! we only have 43 days left of this madness

haha. AGREED, hopefullkid. i've been studying since may and i'm still getting ****ty FL scores back. just gonna have to suck it up and get through the rest of FL's, the topicals, the sections, high yield guides...

miles to go before i sleep :) cheer up! we only have 43 days left of this madness

AAMC should just move the test back 10 days. I'd be happy.

I would've tried a later date, but all the test centers were filled for later days =/ The fourth was the latest test day i could get...although I am happy to be part of the club ;)

just wondering...has anyone tried to figure out the food situation? i don't think we can eat in the testing room, and we get 10 minute breaks...

any suggestions for food/drinks/etc whilst in testing?

i can't concentrate when i'm hungry! lol

just wondering...has anyone tried to figure out the food situation? i don't think we can eat in the testing room, and we get 10 minute breaks...

any suggestions for food/drinks/etc whilst in testing?

i can't concentrate when i'm hungry! lol

You can eat/drink during breaks. You just cannot eat or drink at your desk. So of course you can eat/drink in the testing center, just not in the room where it is being administered.

Eat what you're comfortable with, and nothing too sugary that will get you hyped up and crash. Gatorade is a good drink, sure it has a decent amount of sugar, but with the electrolytes in it too, you shouldn't be having to run to the bathroom all the time. Just don't be that guy who comes in with two half gallon jugs of gatorade - you're not running a friggin marathon (someone did this at my last MCAT, and two waters on top of that.. don't know how his bladder didn't burst all over the test center). I felt fine with some trail mix I made and brought some fruit. The meal before the test is more important honestly, with all the nerves you probably won't be that hungry anyhow. I suggest staying away from caffeine as well, you'll be focused enough, no need to get jittery. Not sure if you're a tea person, but normally I start my day with tea or coffee anyway so on test day I just substituted it for green tea instead - very minimal caffeine and one of the chemicals in green tea supposedly makes you feel less hungry.

Last edited:
i m taking the test same day. I am wondering how far is everyone with their studies?

One more week of reviewing and then its practice test!:laugh: Aug 1st ! will be my 1st real like test and go from there. Ive been doing verbal everyday. The writing section, Im not too worried about. I can write and clarify my sentences and theme as well as the main idea! Im ready to get this puppy over with so I can relax. I been on this nonstop..

I'd say I'm slightly behind right now. I'm down with chem, just doing verbal everyday, bio is almost down, physics and ochem are about 3/4 done with review. I guess this means next two weeks are hardcore. :(

I'd say I'm slightly behind right now. I'm down with chem, just doing verbal everyday, bio is almost down, physics and ochem are about 3/4 done with review. I guess this means next two weeks are hardcore. :(

Come on Polar Bear, didn't you start so long ago? ;)

Yeah, I'm behind where I want to be. These two weeks leading up to 8/4 are going to be insane, so i can be back on schedule. My problem was taking too much of a mental vacation after April, focused on ending the semester strong, have the SOB moment when I got my April score back in May, and then once I finally had all new material I didn't get serious until the end of June. Orgo is almost done, need to do a ton more verbal, bio, phys, chem, are like halfway there. If I didn't waste so many days in June and earlier this month I'd be fine. Basically need to do "two-a-days" until 8/4 and I'll be on schedule for practice test mania.

Come on Polar Bear, didn't you start so long ago? ;)

Yeah, I'm behind where I want to be. These two weeks leading up to 8/4 are going to be insane, so i can be back on schedule. My problem was taking too much of a mental vacation after April, and then once I finally had all new material I didn't get serious until the end of June. Orgo is almost done, need to do a ton more verbal, bio, phys, chem, are like halfway there. If I didn't waste so many days in June and earlier this month I'd be fine. Basically need to do "two-a-days" until 8/4 and I'll be on schedule for practice test mania.

Haha, definitely need to do those two a days as well. Insane.

Sidenote: I also just found out two days ago that EK 101 verbal has that set of scantrons in the back of the book. I pretty much lowered resale value of my 101 book now.

Last edited:
How's studying going everyone? One month and counting.

I'm freakin out PolarBear lol. This week the studying didn't go so great since my sleep schedule got all out of whack, and I just haven't been as efficient. I hope I didn't screw myself by not finishing "content review" yet (even though I had gone through all this before for the April exam, I felt I should start from the beginning right? Hopefully this works) Should be finishing up soon though, hopefully start knocking out practice tests on the 8th.

Other than that though, I've been doing pretty well on TBR phys & chem (usually 70-80% on phases, two or three times I've hit a 55-62% rough patch) and TPR orgo & bio has been easy... so hopefully it's all finally clicking right at the right time, and not a false sense of confidence or security. EK verbal kicked my ass a few times but then I get near perfect on TPR verbal so I don't know what to think in that department.

I'm freakin out PolarBear lol. This week the studying didn't go so great since my sleep schedule got all out of whack, and I just haven't been as efficient. I hope I didn't screw myself by not finishing "content review" yet (even though I had gone through all this before for the April exam, I felt I should start from the beginning right? Hopefully this works) Should be finishing up soon though, hopefully start knocking out practice tests on the 8th.

Other than that though, I've been doing pretty well on TBR phys & chem (usually 70-80% on phases, two or three times I've hit a 55-62% rough patch) and TPR orgo & bio has been easy... so hopefully it's all finally clicking right at the right time, and not a false sense of confidence or security. EK verbal kicked my ass a few times but then I get near perfect on TPR verbal so I don't know what to think in that department.

I didn't fully finish content review as well. Right now, I'm trying to get the little details down in chem and bio. I've taken three practice tests so far and have been improving, though there's still much, much more room for improvement.

Hey! who is taking it at 8am vs 2pm? Im pretty sad cuz both times suck to me but this was the only open day. 8am is way to early and 2 pm is tooo late~

I'm taking the 2pm one because I'm not really an early morning person.

amen to that! i think 2pm is fine...i just need to change my napping schedule so i don't fall asleep during my VR section (;

is anyone doing kaplan/their high yield problem solving guide? it's uber helpful for me!!! @_@ highly recommended for content AND critical thinking materials. just don't look at the answers before you answer it yourself! :)

Hey! who is taking it at 8am vs 2pm? Im pretty sad cuz both times suck to me but this was the only open day. 8am is way to early and 2 pm is tooo late~

I'm taking 8am. Although I really wish there was a 10am test -- that would be absolutely perfect. I'm not too thrilled about waking up early, but I know if I wait until the afternoon, my morning will be full of nervous jitters and unproductivity. Might as well get it over with.

Have you all been taking AAMC full lengths?

2PM group here. I really liked 12PM when I did it in April, 2PM is going to be a late ending, but I'd be braindead at 8AM lol.

I was hoping to get to FLs this weekend, but I'm a few days back so right now I'm aiming for AAMC 3 on Tuesday. I did 7-10 and Kaplan last time around, so the plan is do to AAMC 3-6 and TBR, though I supposedly can access two TPR ones from this workout book I bought.

I'm taking the 8AM. I wanted to take a 12pm, but that day wasn't available. 2pm would be too late for me cuz I know I'll get burnt out by the end of the test and I tend to get sleepy in the late afternoons. I'm not much of a morning person, but if I set up a sleep schedule 2 weeks before I figure I should be fine. I'll probably start waking up around 6/6:30 and sleeping @ 10:30/11.