The All-Time Best Med School Graduation Gift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckerPark

Float on...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This probably isn't the right place to post, but I thought some current students might be able to help me out with this one.

I'm looking for gift ideas for my best friend graduating from med school this year. I don't want to get some cheesy plaque or paperweight (since there won't be an office or desk to put these things in/on for some time yet!). At minimum, I'd like it to be something thoughtful and, hopefully, practical. Price range up to $200 or so.

Anybody heard of other people's gifts? Or about to get one themselves? Any ideas?!

(apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post something like this).

Members don't see this ad.

Something I always thought would be a great gift, especially for a student/resident type whose money is probably tight...

But a gift cerficate/card to a REALLY nice restaurant in the town your friend is doing his/her residency. The sort of place they could never justify going to on their salary. I'm talkin' 5 stars.

It won't last forever like a paperweight, but I think it's much cooler.

a day at the spa? depending on guy/girl you can mix/match different 'services' (be careful in picking a place). I know I could use a phat sports massage if I spent the last 4 years starin at my books...

Yeah, or at a clothing store they really like but can't afford to shop at. Or one that involves a favourite activity? Ie, a whale-watching or kayaking trip for the 2 of you or something. I love those types of things, and I also love spending time with my best friend, so something that combines the two would be great. If you're not into, say, whitewater rafting, the spa idea would be nice, or the restaraunt idea - either certificates for the person, or you pay for the two of you to go together?
Before I left for Africa, my best friend took me whale-watching. We walked around downtown and took goofy pictures as if we were tourists, ate massive ice cream cones and caramel apples with all kinds of yummy crap on them, etc. Then we did the whale thing and had the most incredible time. The pictures and the memories are still among my all-time favourites...