The AMA's Truth in Advertising Campaign: "Medical Doctors or Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kardio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My understanding has been that the M.D. degree is an abbreviation of "Doctor of Medicine," similar to how the Ph.D. degree is a "Doctor of Philosophy." The AMA's "Truth in Advertising Campaign," seems to see it differently.

The definitions section of the proposed act:
1576226923139.png

The requirements section of the proposed act:
1576227878582.png

It looks like they have attempted to pass this legislation, unsuccessfully, for several years. However, if passed, am I correct that it precludes DOs from advertising or identifying themselves as "Medical Doctors"?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even if such a thing did pass, what difference would it actually make?

First, you'd advertise yourself as a physician or cardiologist or pediatrician, etc., not as a "medical doctor" anyways. Secondly, the AMA has no power to enforce something like this. Thirdly, the AOA already requires that DOs do not falsely advertise themselves as MDs. And finally, the wording is vague and actually states "the type of license held". The type of license is a "medical license". DO and MD are degrees not licenses. This is especially true in states that do not have separate DO medical boards. My state license doesn't say "Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery" it just says "Medicine and Surgery".

I also looked through that campaign you linked and it's pretty clearly purposefully holding DOs and MDs as equal and separate from other degrees and even viewing their specialty boards and board certification as separate from other degrees and boards like dentists, scientists, DNPs, etc. This makes me wonder why you would even try to cherry pick quotes to make it seem like this is targeting DOs in some way. Literally every line that mentions MDs also mentions DOs as being equal with the exception of only the definitions you quoted. It says pretty clearly that only MDs and DOs are physicians and should advertise as such.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Seasoned padiwan of emperor still

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding has been that the M.D. degree is an abbreviation of "Doctor of Medicine," similar to how the Ph.D. degree is a "Doctor of Philosophy." The AMA's "Truth in Advertising Campaign," seems to see it differently.

The definitions section of the proposed act:
View attachment 289103

The requirements section of the proposed act:
View attachment 289104

It looks like they have attempted to pass this legislation, unsuccessfully, for several years. However, if passed, am I correct that it precludes DOs from advertising or identifying themselves as "Medical Doctors"?

There used to be a time whent he AMA was an actual doctor's union (association is a polite way of saying "union".

But the World has moved on, and it's a shell of its former self. Our MD SDNers just snort in disgust whenever I mention the AMA.

Reactions: 3 users
There used to be a time whent he AMA was an actual doctor's union (association is a polite way of saying "union".

But the World has moved on, and it's a shell of its former self. Our MD SDNers just snort in disgust whenever I mention the AMA.
Prob why the only people that belong to it are pac members and students who get free stuff discounts.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that it would make no difference.

Reactions: 1 user