Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

the AOA and those 5 damn states

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by cet, Nov 16, 2002.

1. cet

cet Member
    10+ Year Member

anyone have a link to this policy? does it only matter if you do and AOA residency as opposed to AMA residency? ie can i do and AMA residency in PA without the transitional year if i dont plan on practicing in PA? thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stillwell

Stillwell Member
    7+ Year Member

I called some programs and the PA DO board and basically yes you can train there, can't practice there, and can't moonlight. Go to the AOA website for more info on those resolutions

4. Doc_Halo

Doc_Halo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was told that all you needed to do was an AOA internship and then you were free to do any residency you wanted (AOA or AMA) to get a liscence in those states. I don't think you're forced to do an AOA residency as long as you do the AOA internship. Right??? I'm a bit unclear on this. Could someone shed some light on it?

5. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SImply put, it is a ridiculous law meant only for the financial security of hospitals (residencies) in those 5 states. I have a hard time believing that this law could possibly stand for much longer...and I have a harder time believing some silly little community hospital in Michigan would pass on a Harvard trained cardiologist who is a DO only because he/she didn't do a moronic "rotating internship" when they were an intern.
    Simply makes no sense...yeah, those extra months doing IM or doing OBGYN at an AOA hospital will make me a better Osteopathic Physician...gimme a break.

6. H&E

H&E Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I completely agree with DocWagner. These laws are simply a means of strong-arming D.O.'s into filling rotating internship slots and thereby assuring that osteopathic hospitals in those 5 states have cheap labor for at least one year. If the laws were to be dropped then DO students would be free to choose AOA or ACGME residencies without having their ability to obtain a license withheld in 5 states. I think these laws stem from an old school philosophy when DO's feared the allopathic world and felt the need to 'stick together.' This is no longer the case. We've grown from 5 schools to more than 20. With greater numbers of graduates every year, we have to allow DO graduates to pursue all the options available to them. These laws have to be changed. As I am not a lawyer, I have no idea how to get them changed. Perhaps someone else on the board can provide imput as to what avenues need to be pursued to get them changed. Also I am curious if any loop holes exist to still obtain licensure in those 5 states without doing the AOA internship.

7. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

I am from WV, and I have been told that in WV, if you "know" someone on the board, you might be able to petition and get that first MD year counted as the DO transitional year, and still be able to get licensed. I have no idea how true that is. I was not going to count on that, hoping I could get in good with someone on the board, before I needed to apply for my license.

I don't know how it is in the other states, i.e. if knowing someone can help you.

Billie