The Apprentice Doctor® “How to Stitch up Wounds” Suturing Course & Kit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Anton

The Apprentice Doctor - Future Doctors Academy
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Student

The Apprentice Doctor is again offering 5 Suture Kits as part of the SDN Test Prep Week raffle!

If you need to gain proficiency in your Suturing skills – it is my honest opinion that you won't find a better tool for the purpose.
This is a REAL testimonial that I received recently in my Email Inbox:

Dear Dr Scheepers
Thank you for an excellent product.
I have been teaching the suture skills workshop for the past 4 years at the University of the Witwatersrand. This year I purchased your kit, just to appraise its contents and see if I would recommend it to our students.
The DVD in particular is truly exceptional and emphasizes all the key points that I would like the students to master during the workshop.
I have discussed my view of your product with the clinical graduate coordinator, Dr Lionel Green-Thompson (I have copied him in on this email).
We would like to make this part of the "clinical pack" that we offer the students starting their clinical training. I think that further discussion with regard to this matter will be required.
Thanks again for an excellent resource.

Best Regards

Marshall Murdoch
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon

The Apprentice Doctor® "How to Stitch up Wounds" Suturing Course & Kit

Suture_Kit_photo.jpg

For the duration of the Test Prep Week - use the coupon - 135798642 - for a $20.00 discount when checking out.

The Course on a Multimedia Interactive CD-ROM (PC and Mac) covers:
  • The basic principles of wound care, hygiene, and asepsis
  • How to tie a surgeon's knot and various other knots
  • How to suture wounds correctly and avoid common mistakes
  • Learn and practice 10 different suturing methods (explanatory chart with diagram included)
  • What is "eversion" and why is it important in suturing
  • How to use the tools and instruments medical professionals use for suturing
The theory is clearly explained and well illustrated. Suturing and knot tying skills are acquired while students are performing over 20 fun practical projects, and what's more – all the necessary real medical instrument and items are included: Imitation skin, Needle Holder, Scissors , Suture Material, Suture needles - in total an 18 PIECE SUTURE KIT!!

Recommended training material for All Healthcare Professionals whether prospective, in training or qualified:
Pre-medical students - Medical students - Dental students - Veterinary students
For more information follow this link:

The Apprentice Doctor How to Stitch up Wounds Course and Kit

For the duration of the Test Prep Week - use the coupon - 135798642 - for a $20.00 discount when checking out.

Enjoy your suturing course!

The Apprentice Doctor Team

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a way to purchase more "imitation skin", or is the included amount sufficient to complete all learning objectives?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take to get through all the videos/materials?

Are the videos animations or are they recorded from an actual demonstration using the products? thanks!

Can you purchase items individually in case you run out

Is there a meaningful way of assessing one's competency or skills acquired after using the kit.

What about organizing a national "SUTUROLYMPICS" competition amongst interested students?

Does the training factor in the different "styles" one may see. For example an ER doc (or other non-surgeon) will be throwing very different knots and seeing very different opportunities for suturing than a surgeon would. I've been told in previous suturing clinics whether we were doing "surgical style" suturing or "ER style suturing" and the techniques varied enough to deserve different classification. Is this training course covering both situations or is it more "surgical suturing situation" focused.

This seems like it would be great practice. How well does the imitation skin behave like real skin?

Most students seem to be content with the amount of imitation skin offered in the kit. The skin can be used over and over again. The skin will be available on the Apprentice Doctor Website soon - for the very occasional request for more skin.
Thank you - you have raised a good point.

Is there a way to purchase more "imitation skin", or is the included amount sufficient to complete all learning objectives?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take to get through all the videos/materials?
Individual students vary in the time needed to work through the course material - but I would say one day should be sufficient. When we offer the course to students we need a minimum of 3 hours to cover the bare essentials...

Are the videos animations or are they recorded from an actual demonstration using the products? thanks!
The knot tying and suturing techniques are illustrated using semi-animation sequential illustrations as well as video clips using the imitation skin.

Does this course cover several areas of the body that may require different technique such as the scalp or face? I understand that many of the techniques shown would probably list what they could be applied to, but I am curious if there are specific lessons for difficult suturing areas such as the vermilion border to avoid any scarring.

Would this kit be useful for suturing in lines?
Indirectly "yes" as the all the basics are covered - but suturing in lines and surgical drains haven't been covered specifically - it would make a great addition to the next version of the kit! Thank you for your suggestion!

This seems like it would be great practice. How well does the imitation skin behave like real skin?
This is a quote from the product insert:

"Regarding a number of practical aspects…

In the final analysis - suturing is a clinical skill. The kit is designed so you can get acquainted and comfortable with suturing before suturing real animal or human patients.

The fake skin included has its limitations – so start off practicing on the fake skin – then go to your butchery and get chicken/ turkey breasts or pork leg/knuckles with the skin – this will offer a far more realistic experience compared to the fake skin."

Are there videos for one handed and two handed ties or just illustrations?
The illustrations are for both one and two handed knot tying - square and surgeons knot - for left and right handed operators - most of these variations have video-clips illustrating the technique.

Can you purchase items individually in case you run out
We rarely get requests for more items - but yes - we are working on a proper shopping cart and should have this function in the not too distant future. The fake skin is fairly large, added to this are 3 rolls of silk suture material plus 12 needles as well as 3 sachets with a variety of suturing material - and more sachets of suturing material is usually quite accessible to medical/related healthcare students...

Does the kit teach you how to suture with different materials?

[email protected]

Thanks!
We do have Nylon, Silk and Chromic Catgut Sutures in the kit - and we touch on the various types of suturing material and the differences in working behavior. We mention the various types of suturing material but do not cover it in detail - maybe a good idea for the next version - thank you!

Is there a meaningful way of assessing one's competency or skills acquired after using the kit.

What about organizing a national "SUTUROLYMPICS" competition amongst interested students?
The CD-ROM includes two games to assist the student with getting acquainted with suturing terminology. Also included is an assessment section with a variety of exams in the form of multiple choice questions as well as a practical assessment section (skilled supervisor required). This section is very useful to clinical skills lecturers / teachers of suturing courses.
Thank you for a good question and a magnificent suggestion regarding a national "SUTUROLYMPICS"!

Does the training factor in the different "styles" one may see. For example an ER doc (or other non-surgeon) will be throwing very different knots and seeing very different opportunities for suturing than a surgeon would. I've been told in previous suturing clinics whether we were doing "surgical style" suturing or "ER style suturing" and the techniques varied enough to deserve different classification. Is this training course covering both situations or is it more "surgical suturing situation" focused.
You are raising a valid point - but the philosophy behind the kit was to offer the basics - never trying o substitute the clinical mentoring side - and I believe the various differences in style (emergency/cosmetic/general etc.) we are leaving in the capable hands of mentors in these various clinical settings.

Does this course cover several areas of the body that may require different technique such as the scalp or face? I understand that many of the techniques shown would probably list what they could be applied to, but I am curious if there are specific lessons for difficult suturing areas such as the vermilion border to avoid any scarring.
Of course where applicable we do discuss the differences in the handling characteristics of the various types of skin covering the various anatomical areas - but in the final analysis we have endeavored to cover the basics well - and leave lots of room for clinical mentoring as applied to specific clinical settings e.g. the vermillion of the lip... (Maybe a worthwhile addition to the next version - thank you!)

Last edited:
I just wanted to say I have one of these from last year and it is pretty fantastic. They give MORE than enough stuff to practice, and the string to teach the tying with a colored half is really helpful.

I just wanted to say I have one of these from last year and it is pretty fantastic. They give MORE than enough stuff to practice, and the string to teach the tying with a colored half is really helpful.
Hi Caesar - thank you for your kind comments! All of the best with your studies...

The illustrations are for both one and two handed knot tying - square and surgeons knot - for left and right handed operators - most of these variations have video-clips illustrating the technique.

It's nice to know there is left-handed guidance. Thank you for all your responses!

Do you have any sample video clips for this product, before we purchase?

Are there any prerequisites?

After learning this material, may I stitch up my friends' injuries if I feel so inclined? I would waive your responsibility, of course.

Are there any prerequisites?

After learning this material, may I stitch up my friends' injuries if I feel so inclined? I would waive your responsibility, of course.
I would say a definite "yes" - of course with the assumption that you stay within the guidelines/rules/regulations of your training institution - and within the limitations of your level of competence and training... but sure, you will be able to do the job.

This looks really cool! Does the instruction begin at the very beginning? (meaning, does it assume you have no idea how to even hold the instruments?)

Can we purchase additional "skin" pieces?

Is there a bulk discount if student organizations wanted to buy multiple sets?

Does this go through the differences and when to use the various types of suture material?

Can we purchase additional "skin" pieces?

Is there a bulk discount if student organizations wanted to buy multiple sets?

Does this go through the differences and when to use the various types of suture material?
Most students find the piece of skin sufficient for all the practical exercises - and one can use the skin over and over again. We will have more skin available on the "Shop section" soon.
Of course we do offer significant bulk discounts to educational institutions/organizations - more info at "Contact us"
(Students successfully introducing the kits to their university qualify for a useful "Introduction Fee")
We do go through the differences on when to use certain types of suturing material - but not into great depth though - leaving the finer details to clinical mentoring and personal choice of operator. We are working on a worthwhile addition/e-book on the materials characteristics etc - will be available soon and will be added to the next version of the course. Thx for raising a number of good points!

This looks like a really interesting product - definitely better than learning on a pigs ear! What is the general quality of the needle driver and pick-ups? I obviously don't expect it to be hospital grade, but I have seen some pretty awful kits that made things pretty difficult.
Thanks

You are raising a valid point - but the philosophy behind the kit was to offer the basics - never trying o substitute the clinical mentoring side - and I believe the various differences in style (emergency/cosmetic/general etc.) we are leaving in the capable hands of mentors in these various clinical settings.
If you're going to make kits that teach more advanced techniques like suturing vermilion borders anyway, maybe you could make kits that are geared toward specific specialties. Kind of a specialty-specific advanced kit to be used after the basic one. You could target it more toward interns or junior residents. I'm going to be an intern this summer, and I'd definitely be interested in something like that.

I learned how to suture, but if I don't continually practice, I forget how to do things. Hence, I think this is a great product and hopefully it'll help me to refine my suturing skills.

Once we run out of material, do we have to purchase another kit or is there a "refill" package of some sort?

Thanks!

Would you recommend this product to aspiring health professionals that aren't pursuing medicine? Suturing up wounds sounds like a cool skill for anybody to know.

I learned how to suture, but if I don't continually practice, I forget how to do things. Hence, I think this is a great product and hopefully it'll help me to refine my suturing skills.

Once we run out of material, do we have to purchase another kit or is there a "refill" package of some sort?

Thanks!
True - we get a fair number of enquiries from qualified doctors who would like to brush up of their suturing skills. We are working on a refill pack - but believe me the material supplied is more than sufficient in the majority of cases.

If you're going to make kits that teach more advanced techniques like suturing vermilion borders anyway, maybe you could make kits that are geared toward specific specialties. Kind of a specialty-specific advanced kit to be used after the basic one. You could target it more toward interns or junior residents. I'm going to be an intern this summer, and I'd definitely be interested in something like that.
Thank you for the suggestion - definitely something to think about in the future...

This looks like a really interesting product - definitely better than learning on a pigs ear! What is the general quality of the needle driver and pick-ups? I obviously don't expect it to be hospital grade, but I have seen some pretty awful kits that made things pretty difficult.
Thanks
Correct - to make the kits affordable - we were unable to include super grade surgical quality instruments but I would think it fair to describe the instruments as good quality introductory level instruments.
Amongst multiple thousand of kits that went into the market in 2010 we had only ONE student asking for a replacement of the needle holder - we replaced the item promptly and he was happy. Thank you for your comment/question.

With the materials provided in this kit, how many times can one practice? If I wanted to repeat the course a few times during my training, will one kit be sufficient?

Thanks!

With the materials provided in this kit, how many times can one practice? If I wanted to repeat the course a few times during my training, will one kit be sufficient?

Thanks!
The imitation skin can be used over and over again. Three sachets of suture material (Nylon and Chromic catgut) as well as many meters of silk suture thread in rolls with 12 eyed needles make for multiple hours of suturing and suturing...
But we will add an affordable "refill pack" in the near future.

Of course where applicable we do discuss the differences in the handling characteristics of the various types of skin covering the various anatomical areas - but in the final analysis we have endeavored to cover the basics well - and leave lots of room for clinical mentoring as allied to specific clinical settings e.g. the vermillion of the lip... (Maybe a worthwhile addition to the next version - thank you!)

Thank you for the response!

It would be a great addition for areas where scarring is of great concern. I shadowed one EM physician who was particularly worried about the vermilion border due to how it would effect the patient for life if it did scar, so it would be nice to see that and other important regions.

The CD-ROM includes two games to assist the student with getting acquainted with suturing terminology. Also included is an assessment section with a variety of exams in the form of multiple choice questions as well as a practical assessment section (skilled supervisor required). This section is very useful to clinical skills lecturers / teachers of suturing courses.
Thank you for a good question and a magnificent suggestion regarding a national "SUTUROLYMPICS"!

You're welcome, thats interesting we can assess ourselves as surgery in my opinion is all about outcomes.

I'm looking forward to a national "SUTUROLYMPICS" hosted by The Apprentice Doctor®. I will be glad if I can be of any assistance in this regard.

Would you please list the different suturing methods covered in the video?

The CD-ROM is an interactive program includes video clips - but it has much more to offer. The Suturing techniques section headings are as follows:

SUTURING TECHNIQUES
Case Study - Rhode’s Ear
Case Study - Hazards at work
Basic principles of wound care
A basic course in suturing techniques
  • Project A: How to place subcutaneous sutures
  • Project B: How to place interrupted sutures
  • Project C: How to place interrupted sutures with buried knots
  • Project D: How to place continuous sutures
  • Project E: How to place continuous interlocking sutures
  • Project F: How to place horizontal mattress sutures
  • Project G: How to place vertical mattress sutures