The April 2006 MCAT Coffee Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zymogen

Sweet Like Bear Meat
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Coffee Lovers Unite:

I have some great new stuff from Intellegentsia. It is excellent! It smells so good sometimes I want to do lines of it. Here is the description:

La Planada is the farm of Sr. Jair Garcia, and his coffee won top honors in our tres santos competittion. It is exceptionally lively and energetic, with intriguing fruit notes that suggest kiwi or pomelo. Warm spice notes and a brown sugar sweetness complement the fuit and combine to create a taste that reminds us of ginger snaps. The finish is short and crisp, inviting another sip.

Basically it's the best coffee I've ever had.

What's everybody drinking out there?

Members don't see this ad.

It smells so good sometimes I want to do lines of it.
ha ha!
I'm a big fan of Tully's breakfast blend and Torrefazione Italia's milano blend.
Yes, I went to college in Seattle, but my teeth are still pretty white.

forget the coffe. 2 cans of redbull is what works for me...i know i might sound like a wierdo but i love that stuff :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Santa got me an expresso maker for xmas :love:
I'm obsessed with making melita hazlenut lattes with soy milk and french vanilla syrup, yum!!

Nikki2002 said:
i like coffee from mcdonalds--seriously!
You know, I've met a lot of people who say that. It doesn't mean I respect their opinion but I've heard it. (I'm just teasing you!)
Actually, I haven't been to a McDonald's since the mid 90's but Krispy Kreme has some decent coffee.

Don't shoot me or anything but I like Charbucks' coffee beans you can buy in the store :oops:

Anyone have any thoughts on coffee makers? I'm considering a thermal. Basically I need one that just makes one tall cup at a time. Starbucks has a one cup thermal for about 70 dollars I am considering.

Mcdonalds huh?...Interesting. Who would have thought.

Oh and I just did a line of my intellegentsia then aced a Kaplan Topical. However, I wouldn't recommend it.

I didn't really do a line of ground coffee (yet).

I myself want to get one of those coffee makers that grind right before brewing...nothing beats freshly ground coffee beans.

Rocky Racoon said:
Anyone have any thoughts on coffee makers? I'm considering a thermal. Basically I need one that just makes one tall cup at a time. Starbucks has a one cup thermal for about 70 dollars I am considering.

How about getting a french press? You can buy those personal, insulated travel mugs with a built-in french press inside.

The french press is nice. I used a bodum 2-cup french press for years.
Then I got one of those Cuisinarts that grinds the beans and then makes the coffee... ooooh. I set the alarm for 30 minutes before I wake up and when I get to the kitchen there are 1-10 cups of freshly ground, brewed coffee waiting for me. The only way it could get better is if some scantily clad comely maiden were there to serve it to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rocky Racoon said:

Mcdonalds huh?...Interesting. Who would have thought.

Oh and I just did a line of my intellegentsia then aced a Kaplan Topical. However, I wouldn't recommend it.

I didn't really do a line of ground coffee (yet).
the best coffe made at home comes from this
http://www.1stincoffee.com/capresso-f7.htm
it's great, my b/f's dad has it :D

but it's price could pay for my mcat fee, my applications fees and maybe even some interview traveling(if i get that far).....so like a prodigal son i come back to the old good red bull :cool:

Teerawit said:
How about getting a french press? You can buy those personal, insulated travel mugs with a built-in french press inside.

French presses are fantastic! I always use one of those when I'm hanging around the house on a Saturday morning.

ok people i have a mr. coffee coffeemaker (actually it's red and very cute) and in it i make fancy maxwell house coffee. sometimes i even make folgers. i know, i know you're envious.

I miss my french press so much! i cracked the glass when washing it =(
regular drip coffee tastes like water now. btw, have you guys tried 7-11 coffee...yuk, it is the worst. i spent over three years working at starbucks, but strangely i didn't really drink coffee that much during my time there. now im drinking copiously...need the energy to handle a full credit load, volunteering, studying for the mcat and doing research. god bless coffee

You guys have not had coffee until you have had Tim Horton's coffee. It has been rumoured over the years that they add crack to it. That is how addcitive it is.

And McDonald's coffee is good too.

I really like strong coffee. Perhaps I will buy a french press.

I would honestly not be where I am now if not for coffee. It's just another addictive drugs, but is perhaps legal because it enhances performance.

Cheers

socal78 said:
I miss my french press so much! i cracked the glass when washing it =(
regular drip coffee tastes like water now. btw, have you guys tried 7-11 coffee...yuk, it is the worst. i spent over three years working at starbucks, but strangely i didn't really drink coffee that much during my time there. now im drinking copiously...need the energy to handle a full credit load, volunteering, studying for the mcat and doing research. god bless coffee

I need to admit this: I hate Starbucks with a passion. I refer to it as the evil empire. It spreads mediocre coffee as part of its evil plan to destroy independent thinking and puppies.

Actually I hate it because I've NEVER had a good cup of coffee from there - they consistently burn the milk or give it to me freezing. I'm sure you were better than that. Maybe the baristas just suck in Texas.

Anastasis said:
I need to admit this: I hate Starbucks with a passion. I refer to it as the evil empire. It spreads mediocre coffee as part of its evil plan to destroy independent thinking and puppies.

Actually I hate it because I've NEVER had a good cup of coffee from there - they consistently burn the milk or give it to me freezing. I'm sure you were better than that. Maybe the baristas just suck in Texas.

The problem with Starbucks is that they just keep getting lazier and lazier.

Their espresso machines are 110% automated now. Which is I suppose something of a good thing, since it seems like half the time their "baristas" don't know how to use them properly. But their machines aren't THAT good to begin with.

Then there's the milk problem: most of the baristas just pour out a giant pot full of milk, stick the steamer in it, and let it go until they need it. The milk on the bottom gets charred, by the time your drink gets made it's usually not freshly steamed, and it's really uneven throughout.

And the new laziness I've seen is that they won't even stir your mocha after adding all the ingredients. I'm like, "thanks, but I ordered a mocha, not a latte with an inch of chocolate at the bottom." (not that I order mochas very often, but still, it's the principle of the matter)

I do buy their beans from the store, mostly b/c I don't have a ton of selection at the local store and I never think to run to an upscale grocery just for coffee.

McGillGrad said:
You guys have not had coffee until you have had Tim Horton's coffee. It has been rumoured over the years that they add crack to it. That is how addcitive it is.

And McDonald's coffee is good too.

I'm am a Timmy's addict. I heard that they somehow incorporate caffeine into their coffee filters so that the filter as well as the coffee itself have caffeine in it. That would make sense if it was a paper filter, but I never see any filters at all.

I have heard a lot of people compliment McDonald's coffee, but we don't have any near campus, I never really get a chance to drink it. It's all about convenience.

Teerawit said:

Just bought one from starbucks...I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. However, now I need some course ground coffee.

Rocky Racoon said:
Just bought one from starbucks...I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. However, now I need some course ground coffee.

Cool! I have their main french press too...made by Bodum. It's a very nice press :) Now you can get a burr mill to grind your own beans :D

My roommate and I (both taking April MCAT) have found this stuff called "Wake the F*ck Up" ... .and YES, we have done verbal passages at 2 am with this ****.

"Need to be alert? Got some studying to do? Working late? Can't afford to fall asleep at the wheel? Here's your remedy. This coffee seriously makes a strong f*ckin' cup-o-joe. It'll put a stride in your step and some lead in your pencil. Your new motto can be "Sleep is for the dead".. You won't perspite, you'll perculate. This is clearly a better option to the Caffeine IV drip"

I think it's very important to balance taste with performance.