The "Are We Your First Choice Dental School" Question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittylover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you answer the question "are we your first choice dental school" when they are obviously not? For example, an out-of-state school which is also not as good as some of the other in-state schools you are interviewing at asks you this question (and they know you are interviewing at those better, in-state schools)... do you always lie and say "yes, YOU are my first choice school" and make up some lame reasons... or do you tell the truth and risk not getting an acceptance? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

kittylover said:
How do you answer the question "are we your first choice dental school" when they are obviously not? For example, an out-of-state school which is also not as good as some of the other in-state schools you are interviewing at asks you this question (and they know you are interviewing at those better, in-state schools)... do you always lie and say "yes, YOU are my first choice school" and make up some lame reasons... or do you tell the truth and risk not getting an acceptance? Thanks...

Why not tell them that you have no "First Choice" schools, and you would be happy to attend their school if excepted. Personally, I think it would be tacky for the schools to ask this question.

Good question....integrity is TOTALLY overrated...whatever you have to do to get into dental school, right? I plan on using that same philosophy in my practice...just like car mechanics..."Well if you look here and see all this gray part of your tooth in the xray, you're going to need 16 new crowns, sorry pal.

I've always said that I'm going to wait for acceptances before I start deciding on any schools. I only applied to places that I would intend to attend if accepted and I make sure that the schools know that. Where I end up will be the school that provides me with teh best financial aid and outlook for my future.