The Bachelor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine mentioned that a Navy Medical Officer was on the televison program "The Bachelor" this month. I replied, "what's 'The Bachelor'?" (Not much of a TV person)

So I tuned in. As it turns out, the show mentions the Navy frequently. Just out of curiosity, does the Navy have to approve this sort of venture?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine mentioned that a Navy Medical Officer was on the televison program "The Bachelor" this month. I replied, "what's 'The Bachelor'?" (Not much of a TV person)

So I tuned in. The only thought that I shall share is the following question: did the Navy approve this venture?

Thoughts?

The details come to me via a colleague. Listed as a "surgeon" and "exclusive medical supervisor to a special forces team in Hawaii", living on a yacht and driving a hyperexpensive Saleen sports car. Oh, and a six-time Ironman competitor.

Sounds like your typical GMO.

Apparently the guy is a DMO out in Hawaii, completed a surgical internship at San Diego (hence the show calling him a "surgeon")

And yes, the navy has to approve something like this, but it is getting great press for the Navy. Unfortunately those of us who truly understand his position are getting a good laugh out of his description as a surgeon and navy diver.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I'm a big TV watcher, but I've noticed increased "product placement" recently by the military. This is obviously the highest profile, but early episodes of American Idol also had a number of marginally qualified contestants that went forward with high production value puff pieces trumpeting their active duty roles.

I have to conclude it's a concerted, thinly veiled recruitment drive. Relatively attractive woman acting like psychopaths to get the attention of a "surgeon and Navy diver" seems like a questionable tactic to me, but then again, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of mental horsepower in your average recruitment office.

Apparently the guy is a DMO out in Hawaii, completed a surgical internship at San Diego (hence the show calling him a "surgeon")

And yes, the navy has to approve something like this, but it is getting great press for the Navy. Unfortunately those of us who truly understand his position are getting a good laugh out of his description as a surgeon and navy diver.

If he is a DMO stationed with a Marine recon unit they will call him a Battalion Surgeon. Maybe thats where the show derived the title from. But of course they are going to stretch the bounds of reality...it makes for good TV. Anyway how do you get that billet vs being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Not that I'm a big TV watcher, but I've noticed increased "product placement" recently by the military. This is obviously the highest profile, but early episodes of American Idol also had a number of marginally qualified contestants that went forward with high production value puff pieces trumpeting their active duty roles.

I have to conclude it's a concerted, thinly veiled recruitment drive. Relatively attractive woman acting like psychopaths to get the attention of a "surgeon and Navy diver" seems like a questionable tactic to me, but then again, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of mental horsepower in your average recruitment office.

yvan eht nioj

He is the DMO stationed @ MDSU-1 in Pearl Harbor, HI. I guess the "surgeon" title comes form his surgery internship experience (PGY-1). I wonder how many of those chicks he actually...

What's MODSU? I know that Pearl has at least a SEAL SDV team. Is there even a recon team in Hawaii?

Hah! If he goes and does a surgical residency, it is the chicks that are the BIG SUCKERS! (no pun intended)

They think they are getting this wonderful money making package, and they are really getting a half baked, almost real world doc who will abandon them for a surgical residency, or any residency for that fact!!

Justice... how sweet it is. No mercy for the ignorant.:laugh:

for the edification of all, and I think it's important to keep track of operational things, having been operational. My source (wife) thinks that if they are any Recon Marines on Hawaii, it is only a det, thus their medical supply would be from the base, Kauii, not a dedicated doctor for their unit. The Corps has a base at Kauii, but it is mostly an air wing, with skeleton CSSD personal. Their is an infantry unit there, but the majority of all Marine Corps assets are Pendleton and Lejeune, then Okinawa and Sigonella. We ran across this when trying to get colocated when we married.

He is the DMO stationed @ MDSU-1 in Pearl Harbor, HI. I guess the "surgeon" title comes form his surgery internship experience (PGY-1).

That is AWESOME. He actually reminds me a little of myself... "skilled surgeon", "exclusive medical advisor to the Marines." My personal statement is getting better by the minute. I've worked with a few of the Corpsmen out at MDSU-1, and they actually weren't even sure who their MO was. I'm not sure how exclusive the advising was. Probably top secret, and he only works with the really high speed "special forces" salvage divers. Good stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Andy's achievements are matched by his good-natured personality, stunning good looks and self-deprecating sense of humor. He's an unabashed romantic, has watched the series and believes that the show can help find him the woman who could become his wife."

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

"Andy's achievements are matched by his good-natured personality, stunning good looks and self-deprecating sense of humor. He's an unabashed romantic, has watched the series and believes that the show can help find him the woman who could become his wife."

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

If he wasn't getting paid for this stuff, I suppose I might feel sorry for him. The setup has that watching-a-car-accident quality to it.

damn...internship at NMCSD then a GMO billet in Hawaii...how lucky is this guy...and now he gets to have completely physical and superficial "relations" with a bunch of young beautiful women...something's gotta give...me thinks that when the next JSGMESB meets and he gets that ophtho, uro, or ENT spot it will be sayonarra to whomever he "picks":laugh: :smuggrin:

for the edification of all, and I think it's important to keep track of operational things, having been operational. My source (wife) thinks that if they are any Recon Marines on Hawaii, it is only a det, thus their medical supply would be from the base, Kauii, not a dedicated doctor for their unit. The Corps has a base at Kauii, but it is mostly an air wing, with skeleton CSSD personal. Their is an infantry unit there, but the majority of all Marine Corps assets are Pendleton and Lejeune, then Okinawa and Sigonella. We ran across this when trying to get colocated when we married.
Clarification on this post -- The base on Kauai (note the correct spelling) is the Pacific Missile Range Facility. There is a Recon Unit in Oahu, 4th Force Recon. But the Bachelor is not attached a Marine Unit, he's attached a Navy Dive Unit.

I watched the show, and I just bust out laughing when I see these high maintenance girls vying to be a "Navy wife"... they have no idea how hard it is to be married to someone in the military. But, then again, the Bachelor's 'military career' isn't like most, is it???

Damned straight... it's tough being a military wife (or husband), and those Bachelor ladies have absolutely NO idea (unless they're military brats).

Spouses have made or broken many military careers, and the political skills of a good military spouse can be absolutely instrumental in either supporting their spouse's career, or completely torpedoing it.

People look down on the Officer's Wive's Club, and similar organizations, but it's a foolish officer that underestimates the political power of those groups.

so chicks dig navy doctors.

But, then again, the Bachelor's 'military career' isn't like most, is it???

That's for sure. First off, the Navy also gives him a ton of time off to do Iron-mans AND now the "Bachelor." I know for a fact that the GMOs in most commands don't have it this nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmcxVQE_8c

My brother cracked me up the other day. He asked me how a Navy LT could afford a Saleen S7 ($585,000). Ha, ha, ha ... he can't! Hmm, makes you wonder how much he is getting paid for the show. Is he getting paid by DFAS while he out romancing these niave girls?

He's driving a X@#!& S7?

That's just wrong...

That's for sure. First off, the Navy also gives him a ton of time off to do Iron-mans AND now the "Bachelor." I know for a fact that the GMOs in most commands don't have it this nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmcxVQE_8c

My brother cracked me up the other day. He asked me how a Navy LT could afford a Saleen S7 ($585,000). Ha, ha, ha ... he can't! Hmm, makes you wonder how much he is getting paid for the show. Is he getting paid by DFAS while he out romancing these niave girls?

Fine, I'll admit it I'm jealous. It's not the ladies - I'm happily married. It's not the car - I love my Jeep Cherokee. It's not the cash - see "peds" in my username. It's not the fame - I like my privacy. It's the not having love handles. I've always had them. The only time I ever got rid of them was post E. coli when I lost 10 pounds in like 3 days. That's why I'm jealous. I know it's petty. And now I'm going to go run.

Fine, I'll admit it I'm jealous. It's not the ladies - I'm happily married. It's not the car - I love my Jeep Cherokee. It's not the cash - see "peds" in my username. It's not the fame - I like my privacy. It's the not having love handles. I've always had them. The only time I ever got rid of them was post E. coli when I lost 10 pounds in like 3 days. That's why I'm jealous. I know it's petty. And now I'm going to go run.

well the guy is a triathelete...he trains everyday and probably has his diet in order...I wouldn't feel too jealous:thumbup:

I hope my date next week doesn't expect me to show up in a Saleen X@!#?. She'll be a little disappointed when she has to ride shotgun in an old dodge dakota with a tape deck.
:laugh:

Ah yes, old cars being driven by "rich fancy doctors." Nothing's worse than pulling into my med school's parking lot and realizing that I have the oldest car on the lot---a 1992 Chevy Lumina with 186,000 miles, non-working cassette deck, and introduced this month: a broken handle on the passenger door so that door cannot be opened from the outside.

i want to be like that guy. he's way cool.:thumbup:

Hmm...I just checked out his profile on the ABC link from above. It looks like they modified it a little. It no longer says he's an "exclusive" anything. He's listed as an "undersea medical offficer for a special operations diving unit." Towards the end it says he served a "group surgeon" for 50 person/team deployment to Laos.

uh, Ladies... he's probably GAY :rolleyes:

No straight man is that perfect.