smoke

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
I am second year medical student, and I still don't feel like I have ever come close to achieving a healthy balance between school and other things...
Don't get me wrong, I have hobbies like running, biking, etc. But for instance, I always feel like I am either going 100mph with the studying and such, and then when I do have a free weekend it is like I do not even know what to do with my time b/c I am not used to having it...
I tried planning things, but it always seems like you cannot plan too far ahead.
Any insight on things that really helped you all during school?

Ross434

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pharmacy Student
smoke said:
I am second year medical student, and I still don't feel like I have ever come close to achieving a healthy balance between school and other things...
Don't get me wrong, I have hobbies like running, biking, etc. But for instance, I always feel like I am either going 100mph with the studying and such, and then when I do have a free weekend it is like I do not even know what to do with my time b/c I am not used to having it...
I tried planning things, but it always seems like you cannot plan too far ahead.
Any insight on things that really helped you all during school?
Just go out and exercise. That completely rules. I do sprints for like 3 hours whenever i have free time. Then time is gone, and i can sleep for the rest of the day!

klubguts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
the big D
Status
Try to set aside some specific time each day for certain activities (whatever you like to do...exercise, watch Oprah, yoga, whatever) and i used to take one or two nights a week off from studying (i chose friday night and sunday afternoon). I used these time blocks to schedule my other EC activities. I'm a fourth year now, but haven't forgotten what a beat down second year was...for me, this was the most difficult year of med school. It is tough to keep that balance during 2nd and 3rd year, but it can be done. The problem you are having is not unique...don't get discouraged and remember they can hurt you (badly at times) but they can not stop the clock (i.e, it will end). Best of luck.

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah, I went through the same thing. I have a lot of interests outside medicine and felt my life was extremely off-balance especially in the first year. You're right that it's hard to plan stuff ahead of time. I found that I had to be more spontaneous to take advantage of free time whenever it came up. I kept a running mental list of things I wanted to do, so if a free day/weekend came along I would have an idea ready.

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Westside,allright
Visit site
Status
I never imagined that med school could be so depressing. It seems that all I
do is study and it is beginning to drive me nuts. I guess that is what I deserve for leaving my state school to attend med school 3000 miles away. Now I only get to go out when the rest of my class decides to being that I know nobody else in the city. Damn, I only felt like venting my fustration, sorry guys I must be on the wrong forum.

mikedc813

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
Baltimore
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
supereagles said:
I never imagined that med school could be so depressing. It seems that all I
do is study and it is beginning to drive me nuts. I guess that is what I deserve for leaving my state school to attend med school 3000 miles away. Now I only get to go out when the rest of my class decides to being that I know nobody else in the city. Damn, I only felt like venting my fustration, sorry guys I must be on the wrong forum.
I go through phases when I feel just like you. It has gotten better though... I had such a hard time adjusting to med school life from college in terms of how much social interaction there is in general. Studying really does consume your life if you let it, or if you want to be at the top of your class. Studying with people physically around, even if you study on your own, really helps. I can't stand studying by myself at home...it's so depressing. Actually, it's time to go study out by the pool...good luck

OP
S

smoke

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
Exercise is great, and can really enhance mood and decrease stress.
Sutdying around people is a good way to feel like you are still part of a community, whether it be at school or at a coffeehouse.

But don't you all feel like you are missing some kind of human interaction that you had before? I really do.
I wonder if anyone out there finds a way to do something consistently every week that makes you feel like you are still part of the "normal" world...volunteering, being a part of some other community group? I am not religious, so I do not go to church, but I can see how this might be a good thing for people to be in touch too...

Let me know if you have ideas...

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Westside,allright
Visit site
Status
smoke said:
Exercise is great, and can really enhance mood and decrease stress.
Sutdying around people is a good way to feel like you are still part of a community, whether it be at school or at a coffeehouse.

But don't you all feel like you are missing some kind of human interaction that you had before? I really do.
I wonder if anyone out there finds a way to do something consistently every week that makes you feel like you are still part of the "normal" world...volunteering, being a part of some other community group? I am not religious, so I do not go to church, but I can see how this might be a good thing for people to be in touch too...

Let me know if you have ideas...
SDN, thank God for SDN my only connection to my past eventful life. Damn that's really sad. :oops: