The barrage....what tactics have worked to get OFF a waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cacophony

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I find myself in the "waitlist" category and am wondering what tactics of letter writing, calling, new recommendations, etc have worked in the past.

Currently I am listed in the Middle tier?. Which is painful b/c top tier is almost guaranteed a spot and the third tier is most likely getting the big NO, but those in the middle find out up to the day school starts.

Any advice on how to plan my ATTACK on the adcom? I need some motivational assistance for this 4 month task.

Members don't see this ad.

Cacophony said:
So I find myself in the "waitlist" category and am wondering what tactics of letter writing, calling, new recommendations, etc have worked in the past.

Currently I am listed in the Middle tier?. Which is painful b/c top tier is almost guaranteed a spot and the third tier is most likely getting the big NO, but those in the middle find out up to the day school starts.

Any advice on how to plan my ATTACK on the adcom? I need some motivational assistance for this 4 month task.

There is someone you can send to the schools to talk for you. His name is Benjamin. :D

I know this is very immature but I have to [Please forgive me :)]:

Can waitlists get off?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I did. We'll see if it works!

Start by setting up an appointment or phone call to the Director of Admissions, if there is one that is separate from the DEAN of Admissions. Ask him/her first if the waitlist is rigidly ranked. If it is, then I wouldn't bother wasting your time (and theirs). If they continually reevaulate applicants on the waitlist, then ask that person what you can do to improve your chances. Basically, the only things you can do are keep them updated on your activities (Did you get Dean's list again? Did you graduate with honors? Did you get scientific paper published? etc etc), write a well thought-out letter detailing why you like this school and why this school should like you to the admissions committee, write a succinct summary of your letter and e-mail it to the dean and/or director of admissions. For the letters/e-mail make it very very clear that you love this school and it is your top choice. Tell them why this is so and don't write something quick perfunctory (if I used that word correctly). Remember, you have to be sincere!

Other than that, I wouldn't be too much of a pest. Don't contact them unless you have a genuine question they can answer for you. "Am I in?" doesn't count! If the dean or director of admisisons is friendly and chatty (usually they're pretty nice people) then keep up the conversation. If not, then drop it and cross your fingers.

Good luck!

-X