The Basic Sciences

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by turtleboard, May 24, 2000.

1. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So how many medical schools today are adding an "advanced basic science" (4 weeks) course to a fourth-year medical student's schedule in lieu of more elective time?

I know of only one, and most of my class and I are not too happy about it.

If this is a national trend, then I understand why it may need to be done. But if we're the trailblazers, then I'd like the administration to defer their pioneering ambition to the class after mine. [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, that would be my class! [​IMG]

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    All right, then I really wish they'd defer their pioneering ambition to the class after yours. [​IMG]

In any event, I think it has its good and bad elements, but I was hoping that once third-year hit, I'd never be back in a lecture hall.

Tim of New York City.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That's all new to me, Tim!!! I haven't heard anything here in the westside. If that's going to happen, I personally think it really bites!!! Two years of basic sciences is MORE than enough....that's it!!! Bring on some REAL medicine after 2 years!!! [​IMG] Did you check with your school's rationale as to why they are planning to do this? Good luck!

Rob
    MS III

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's not planned, but already in effect for the Class of 2002 (which has two years before it hits the "Advanced Basic Sciences" course).

The rationale, according to an administrator, is that MS4s throughout the country don't know enough of their basic science and it's "embarassing" to have physicians who don't know all the underlying details of their art.

The concept of didactic instruction during a clinical med student's education isn't entirely new, since it was a normal and regular part of almost every medical school's curriculum until around the early 1970s, but for me to become reacquainted with the basic sciences is something I'd rather not do. [​IMG]

I thought that's why we have PhDs.

Tim of New York City.