The Berkeley Review vs chemistry textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worker Bee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would be more beneficial. It has been about 5 years since I've taken G Chem and I have forgotten quite a bit. Does TBR go into enough detail where I wouldn't need a chemistry book to review again or is it best to just get a chem book?

Members don't see this ad.

Which would be more beneficial. It has been about 5 years since I've taken G Chem and I have forgotten quite a bit. Does TBR go into enough detail where I wouldn't need a chemistry book to review again or is it best to just get a chem book?

TBR G Chem

I would use the MCAT prep material such as berkeley like you mentioned they are more directed towards the style of the MCAT while the textbook covers everything and even things you might not need to know

I have TBR G-Chem and will be using it for practice problems.

For my content review, printed out the content outline from the AAMC and am utilizing my textbook and making my own study guide. I find that I remember more when I make my own outline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go near a textbook... too detailed and not geared toward the MCAT. TBR will be sufficient and for any concepts you don't get... there is always Youtube.

TBR. It's relatively easy to learn all of the material for gen chem. Learning how to crush gen chem passages on the MCAT... not so much.

TBR chemistry. Your textbook is going to have problems that are much more involved than what you're likely to see on the MCAT.