The best $15 you'll spend in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

repititionition

Sure!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is having your First Aid and Pathoma spiral-bound.

Thank me later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
memorizing first aid: priceless

Reactions: 4 users
Idk i spent $15 at Panda Express for a post-anatomy feast last year and I was pretty pleased with that investment.

Reactions: 18 users
srs quetion, spiral bound as opposed to what? and why is it good
If you looking at the 'extreme ends' of a book (i.e., first 10% or last 10%), the book won't keep flipping back closed. Makes it much easier to just lay the book flat.

Reactions: 1 user
$15 is way too much to have 2 books spiral bound. Anyway, the smarter thing to do would be leave them as is and spend the $15 on beer.

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah, seriously. Time spent getting your books spiral bound is time that could be spent reading or drinking.

I never really understood the obsession with ripping perfectly good books apart and putting them back together.

Based purely on guesswork, I'd say that in my class, there was a negative correlation between number of spiral-bound books and Step scores.

Is having your First Aid and Pathoma spiral-bound.

Thank me later.
Even if you went to Kinko's, which is more expensive, there is no way you could have paid $15 just to have the spines of 2 books cut off and then spiral bound. You greatly overpaid.

I broke up FA into sections (with dividers) and had it hole-punched and placed in a binder. It would be cool if it could also have dividers and be spiral bound instead of what I did. Toward the end of second year I was definitely ripping pages.

And I'm assuming not the flimsy wire spiraling, correct? Have not visited a Kinkos in years. I imagine thicker plastic. Will look at stuff on their site right now also.
Spiralbound because you will be flipping thru the pages a lot. Also easy to carry and place in the Prometric locker.

I broke up FA into sections (with dividers) and had it hole-punched and placed in a binder. It would be cool if it could also have dividers and be spiral bound instead of what I did. Toward the end of second year I was definitely ripping pages.

And I'm assuming not the flimsy wire spiraling, correct? Have not visited a Kinkos in years. I imagine thicker plastic. Will look at stuff on their site right now also.

My friends who bought the plastic-wire spiral did fine, it was the flat-thin plastic spiral material I was told to avoid (the kind that only wraps around the holes, not spiraling through the whole book --see below)

This is fine:
s-l300.jpg

AVOID:
plastic_binding.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
They called it coil binding like the pic of the one above with the red cover. It did a fantastic job with no tears, no matter how much flipping and annotation you do.