jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello Everyone,

I am graduating with BA in Bichemistry this june. I need desperate help in planning out my future goal. I looked at some forums on this website and it helped me alot to learn about health care field from other students personal experience. I am expecting to get an idea of what is best for me.
My goal is to get into medical school. But my grades interfere to be competitive. I applied to PCOM post bacc and LECOM post bacc for fall 2010 and haven't heard anything back yet. My cGPA is 2.73 and sGPA is 2.5. I am planning to retake mcat on Aug 24.
I also looked at some MPH and SMP programs. I am not competitive for graduate schools either...i dono what should I do.

Background:
I have decent gpa from community college and it went down when i transfer to university. I was on academic probation during my second quarter at university and got reinstated the next quarter....I took upper division science classes in junior and senior year at U and averaging between 2.5-3.0.
I have international clinical experience. I also worked as a clinical research assistant for almost two year at hospital.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi and welcome to SDN.

I'll first start off with what concerns me.

Your cGPA and sGPA are pretty bad. What's worse is you don't have an upward trend in your grades, especially not when taking the upper division sciences. I bolded the comment you made about doing ok in CC but then tanking it when you transferred to a 4 year institution. This is not what Adcoms want to see and what is openly debated here on these forums about how CC grades are not the same as 4 year institutions. Regardless it shows that among "better" competition and when taking "harder" classes, you're a sub 3.0 student. Success stories with your GPA have ben done and even with lower GPA and stats but they generally have an upward trend or something really pulling for them in their stories.

Do not do an MPH. The big question is your academic competence and GPA. An MPH will not solve that. I hope you get into either post-bacc program but I'd suggest you prepare for the worst and start enrolling at a local university to retake some of those classes if you haven't already and apply to SMPs early next cycle.

DrArete

Removed
Apr 3, 2010
Status
Hello Everyone,

I am graduating with BA in Bichemistry this june. I need desperate help in planning out my future goal. I looked at some forums on this website and it helped me alot to learn about health care field from other students personal experience. I am expecting to get an idea of what is best for me.
My goal is to get into medical school. But my grades interfere to be competitive. I applied to PCOM post bacc and LECOM post bacc for fall 2010 and haven't heard anything back yet. My cGPA is 2.73 and sGPA is 2.5. I am planning to retake mcat on Aug 24.
I also looked at some MPH and SMP programs. I am not competitive for graduate schools either...i dono what should I do.

Background:
I have decent gpa from community college and it went down when i transfer to university. I was on academic probation during my second quarter at university and got reinstated the next quarter....I took upper division science classes in junior and senior year at U and averaging between 2.5-3.0.
I have international clinical experience. I also worked as a clinical research assistant for almost two year at hospital.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
My advice - rather than kill yourself in trying to get into med school, which is probably, a long shot at best, try something different that will also make a difference.

How about this - join the peace corps or mercy corps, try and do something with a focus on health and get some international experience for a couple of years, then study real hard for the GRE and maybe take a Kaplan course or something, and with a great GRE and good experience, you will get into a good Master's in Public Health program.

elusiveCHILD

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with the above poster, I would stray away from applying to medical school now since your cGPA and sGPA isn't abovea 3.0. I went to the SNMA conference two weeks ago and Mr. Ken Morgan an admission counselor at UIC advised students who didn't have a strong science background to NOT apply to MPH programs b/c they do not demonstrate that you can handle the rigorous coursework of medical school, since MPH programs are not science related. I would suggest looking at Postbacc programs and many of their deadlines are in July, so you have time! Some that are due in the summer are Temple, UPenn, & Drexel. Best wishes!