The best schools to apply to for VA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterbuffalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying this year with a :
GPA: 3.6
Sci GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 28Q (9V, 10P, 9B)
3 years of research but no publications
1 year surgical technician
great EC's and great LOR's

I am a VA resident and I am thinking about applying to :
EVMS
VCU
UVA
GW
USUHS
SUNY upstate
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Utah
Temple
Wayne State
Tulane
and a few Texas schools

Does anyone know of any other schools that could possibly accept me?
I really appreciate you SDNers and your expertise!

Members don't see this ad.

EVMS
VCU
UVA
GW
USUHS
SUNY upstate
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Utah
Temple
Wayne State
Tulane
and a few Texas schools

Hello fellow Virginian! Most people on here will tell you to check sources such as the MSAR and find schools whose average stats match or closely resemble your own. Your MCAT and BCPM GPA are a bit low, so try to find some schools that place less emphasis on numbers and more emphasis on ECs (yours are great, as you say).

Good luck!

and Texas schools may be a long shot since you are OOS...and others here would know way more about that

Members don't see this ad :)

EVMS
VCU
UVA
GW
USUHS
SUNY upstate
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Utah
Temple
Wayne State
Tulane
and a few Texas schools

Some odd picks on your list like Utah and Wayne State - state schools with strong in-state preference...same with Texas schools (90% in state)...instead of these low yield picks, maybe you should go with some more privates like St Louis U, BU, and Georgetown, and OOS friendly state schools like Penn State and Vermont...also, you had Temple, but what about Jefferson?

RFU is apparently pretty darn tough for OOS people with no links to Illinois...

Bottom line is that your low MCAT will hurt you everywhere, so your best bet is probably EVMS...

Fellow Virginian here. GW gets a TON of applications (last year it was something like 11,000 for 1,000 interview spots). Unless you really want to stay in the DC area, like if you are from Northern Virginia, it might be a little low-yield.

Also, what about VCOM? I didn't apply there, but someone I know did and liked it.

Fellow Virginian here. GW gets a TON of applications (last year it was something like 11,000 for 1,000 interview spots). Unless you really want to stay in the DC area, like if you are from Northern Virginia, it might be a little low-yield.

Also, what about VCOM? I didn't apply there, but someone I know did and liked it.

GW does give some preference to people from the DC area (including VA and MD).

OP, I would take Utah off your list unless you have lived there previously. Also, as someone else mentioned, Texas is not very receptive to out of state students. One state that is pretty receptive is Ohio.

Virginia is a pretty good state to be from for medical school admissions purposes, I think. If your EC's and LOR's are good as you say, I would be surprised if EVMS or VCU didn't admit you. :luck:

I agree with what the above posters mentioned. I also think what region you're from matters a bit, especially if you're considering OOS schools. As Virginians, we're blessed with a lot of border states whose schools will give a bit of preference to continguous state applicants, and I would imagine the closer you live to one of those states should help your chances. For example, I'm from southwest Virginia and have a few friends who got into WV and TN schools.

Y'all have been incredibly helpful, especially the comments about the Texas schools, border states, and other OOS comments. Thanks a bunch, guys. I'm going to take all of these things into consideration as I make my final picks. I hope this has been helpful to others as well.

OK, thanks to your help
I've added schools from
OHIO
PENN ST
TOLEDO
and drexel