the best step 1 review books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trapperjohn

Trapper John
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm about to start MS1 year in a few months and have decided to buy some step 1 review books to go along with the courses i'll soon be taking. i heard that for the most part the brs review books are the best, but i also heard that for certain courses, other companies make better high yield books when it comes to preparing for step 1. (for example i was told brs physiology is by far the greatest but for anatomy kaplan had a better board review book). i'de like to know from those of you that have taken or are about to take step 1, which are the best board review books in your opinion for the following courses:

human anatomy
histology
physiology
biochem
neurobiology
pathology
molecular bio/genetics
embryology

Members don't see this ad.

If you are thinking about trying to review for the boards during M1, don't even bother. Its better to just focus on the material as you learn it, and worry about studying during second year.

Now if you want to use the books to help study during first year as "study guides" that could work. I used BRS for neuroanatomy/neurophysiology and physiology which were good outlines to hit the high points when i had an odd hour or whatever to study before the tests.

Also, lippincott's bichem is pretty standard, and should actually be good enough as a book you actually use during the course.

I really didn't buy that many books for my first year. The syallbus was usually more than enough information to study from.

For anatomy, Clinically Oriented Anatomy is a good book for reference. You can get the short version, Essential Clinical Anatomy, which is a bit easier to digest.

For biochem, Lippincott's Illustrated Review is great for this. Clear diagrams with good clinical correlates.

For physio and pathology, BRS books are the way to go. I absolutely love my BRS pathology and enjoy reading it sometimes leisurely ahead of what I have done already in class.

For neuroanatomy and embryology, I used mostly High-Yield books. I actually like the High-Yield series a lot. Clinical Neuroanatomy from the Waxman (Lange books) is quite good but has a lot of detail, as does the BRS. Good for reference, but for review, I would suggest using the High-Yield books. Much more concise.

For histology, just use whichever textbook your school suggests. It's important to have a text that has good pictures because that's what histo is about.

Im also interested..Im dont plan to study for the boards my first year..But i would like to follow through board books as i am going through it in class...an advice given by fellow SDNers...so far Im going to get the kaplan biochem...brs Physio..goljan stuff..RR path..microbio made ridiculous easy.. FA....

Any other books you guys want to add so i can follow through...and anotate during my first 2 years...like HY books (which subjects are best?)