the best time to take DAT for 2006 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinbear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently ucla 3rd year biochem major and I am going to apply 06 cycle. Can anyone suggest the best time to take DAT? Should I take on-line course or in class for kaplan? :)
by the way, anyone knows gpa booster science classes in ucla? :D thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT in July, but if I had it to do over again I would shoot for June. I know some people take it earlier in the spring, but when I'm taking 16 credits of tough science courses I just couldn't find the time in my schedule to study until summer break. I put in about 200 hours studying for the DAT and I felt pretty good about it.

I didn't take a course.

But you have to be independently motivated to do well with online courses. If you are having trouble making time to study you might be better off with the structure and commitment that a classroom provides.

---good luck!

Bruinbear-

I've actually been contemplating the same thing.. One part of me wants to take the exam around April so that *if* I don't do as well as I'd like then I'll be straight to take it again around August. But then the other part of me thinks that it'll be better to give myself more study time and take the exam June/July and pray that I get an awesome score in one shot (and if I'm really not satisfied with it, then take it again in Oct?).

So, at the end of this post, I suppose I'm still in the same boat as you and wondering what would be best :D

Thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated!

-Jae-

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat as you both last year. I also wanted to take it early, but knew that I needed a fair amount of time to study for it. I decided to put all my eggs in one basket. It came down to - I only wanted to take it once, so I waited untill summer when I had ample time to study. I put in a lot of time studying, and had no other distractions and then took it at the begining of August. It paid off, I did well on it and it didn't seem to slow down getting my interviews. I still applied early (june 1st), besides you have to send your results directly to the schools anyway so AADSAS realy has nothing to do with DAT scores. IMO just plan on taking it once and plan to do well. If you rush into it just to get it done early, then Yes you may want to plan on taking it again.

Just my $0.02

wammmy said:
I was in the same boat as you both last year. I also wanted to take it early, but knew that I needed a fair amount of time to study for it. I decided to put all my eggs in one basket. It came down to - I only wanted to take it once, so I waited untill summer when I had ample time to study. I put in a lot of time studying, and had no other distractions and then took it at the begining of August. It paid off, I did well on it and it didn't seem to slow down getting my interviews. I still applied early (june 1st), besides you have to send your results directly to the schools anyway so AADSAS realy has nothing to do with DAT scores. IMO just plan on taking it once and plan to do well. If you rush into it just to get it done early, then Yes you may want to plan on taking it again.

Just my $0.02

hey...
apply as early as possible for one to get it out of the way if something is wrong
as for taking the test, take it depending on when schools look at ur apps
u may not get any responses for some time from ca schools if u take it too late, if they interview in october take it august
u have the whole summer take the summer to study and do well because even though you have the bio and chem down, there is a lot to know about animal phyla and plants that is tough, and not just the calvin cycle
take the kaplan class so u can compare with ur peers that was big for me and i am a self study type

john

when do schools usually start interviews? and/or how can I find out?

Okay lets upgrade this "boat" into a yacht 'cause I'm hopping in it too!

I am a 3rd year biochem major and am going to take the DAT Kaplan course this June/July and am taking the official test in August. That way, I can nail the 95 percentile (20+) in one shot by focusing during the summer.

:)
EyeAmCommi said:
Okay lets upgrade this "boat" into a yacht 'cause I'm hopping in it too!

I am a 3rd year biochem major and am going to take the DAT Kaplan course this June/July and am taking the official test in August. That way, I can nail the 95 percentile (20+) in one shot by focusing during the summer.

Lol... yeah and im jumpin in on the yacht as well. I am a 4th year Bio major... planning for the 06 cycle (going to take an extra year for the Bio degree). Im the President for the Pre-dental club at school... what we did is last semester we got Kaplan to come in and give a free practice DAT. They are coming again in April to do the same.. this way you see how you would do and then decide should you take that course or not.. hope this helps...