The best time to take Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanpie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the weirdest schedule which I am taking electives/selectives in the Fall and core rotations in the Spring. Therefore, I want to ask when is the best time to take Step 2CS? Can I take it even before I complete my core rotation in the Spring?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Doing well on CS doesn't take a ton of studying but it does require an ability to perform a strong, focused H&P, come up with a reasonable differential, and construct a solid progress note. Many people take it in the Spring if they've completed most of their core rotations. Things like medicine, family, and peds give you good experience so it's probably best to have them done before you tackle Step 2 CS.

There's no real rush to take it though, unless you're just looking to get it out of the way. Once you have all your core rotations behind you it shouldn't take more than a weekend to prepare. Make sure to schedule early though, because slots fill up fast.