jpdaman11

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm confused on when I should take the MCAT. I'm going to be a freshman this fall. I tested out of Gen Chem, will most likely be taking Orgo (still contemplating it), and want to take the classes of the subjects on the test before the end of sophomore year. I figured I could take it before junior year after studying rigorously for 3-4 months, then I could apply in the beginning of junior year summer, since admissions are rolling. Is this not the best route? Before I would apply, I would make sure that I did an adequate amount of volunteering, shadowing, interning, and that I joined clubs (which all interests me, and I won't do something that I don't like).

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Capital of Passive-Aggression
Status
Medical Student
All the time.

If you think you can handle it, it might be good to go ahead and take ochem, and you could fit physics and bio in there as well. You'll to want to take a biochem class too. If you could fit all these classes in to take the test by the end of summer between your sophomore and junior year, you'd be set up nicely to apply as soon as the applications open between junior and senior year.

Reactions: jpdaman11
OP
jpdaman11

jpdaman11

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
My plan -

OChem this year
Soc this year
Psych this year
Biochem and Genetics during summer at MUCH easier state school
Bio next year
Physics next year

OR

First semester of Bio during 2nd semester after I'm used to OChem
Second semester during first semester of sophomore year

OP
jpdaman11

jpdaman11

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Add some English, maybe a better humanities class, microbiology

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I don't think it's best practice to take classes at separate colleges unless you actually transfer there. Med schools do recognize when people take classes at a separate institution in order to get easier iterations of those subjects. If you take those during summer at your current school, you might still get a slightly easier version of them (that's how summer classes are at my school) and it's more on the safe side.

As long as you think you can handle it all, either plan works. Just don't overload yourself - it can be easy for incoming freshman to bite off more than they can chew and end up with a freshman GPA that they're trying to overcome later.

It's a bit of a balancing act - you'll get there!

Reactions: jdc94 and jpdaman11

doctorleospaceman

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2015
Status
Medical Student
My plan -

OChem this year
Soc this year
Psych this year
Biochem and Genetics during summer at MUCH easier state school
Bio next year
Physics next year
Idk what school you go to, but I'd be shocked if bio isn't a prereq for biochem (it's half the class name afterall) or for genetics.

I also wouldn't recommend taking any premed classes over the summer, especially at another school. First off, coming in with the mindset that itll be MUCH easier is just a horrible idea. Second, especially since odds are the grade won't transfer to your main school, med schools won't be huge fans of you taking them at a different school and over the summer.

Last edited:

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Idk what school you go to, but I'd be shocked if bio isn't a prereq for biochem (it's half the class name afterall) or for genetics.

I also wouldn't recommend taking any premed classes over the summer, especially at another school. First off, coming in with the mindset that itll be MUCH easier is just a horrible idea. Second, especially since odds are the grade won't transfer to your main school, med schools won't be huge fans of you taking them at a different school and over the summer.
I don't think summer classes are bad, but taking classes at another school because they're easier is a bad idea because med schools see right through it.

As far as biochem goes, one semester of biology and completion of the full year of ochem was prerequisite for biochem at my school, so that's a good catch. OP, be aware of the prereq requirements for each class you plan to take - you have to take some in a linear fashion, one after another.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
All the time.

I think OP answered his own question in the thread title. Take the MCAT whenever you are most comfortable and confident. The right mindset is the key to succeed this exam.

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student

I think OP answered his own question in the thread title. Take the MCAT whenever you are most comfortable and confident. The right mindset is the key to succeed this exam.
Man, nothing beats the originals.

Reactions: StudyLater
Jan 26, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
As someone who has to work extra hard at chemistry, starting with orgo right off the bat would not have worked for me. However, that doesn't mean it can't work for you. Some suggested schedules:

Starting with orgo and taking MCAT after sophomore year:
  • Freshman semester 1:
    • Orgo 1
    • Bio 1 + Lab
  • Freshman semester 2:
    • Orgo 2
    • Orgo lab
    • Bio 2 + Lab
  • Sophomore semester 1:
    • Physics 1 + Lab
    • Biochem
    • Psych