The best way improve GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phil1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a AS from a community college in Computer Science with the GPA of 3.7.
I am going to finish my BS in Computer Science from SUNY with the GPA of about 3.0
Don't really want to work in the IT area anymore, so I think about keep going for a job in Medical or Pharmacy. That mean I have to take the pre-require courses now.
My question are:
  • Should I take it at the same school where I got the BS. This way won't bring my GPA up to 3.5
  • Transfer my credit from my Community College to a different school and start a new major. I think this is a better choice, but is it the "legal" way?
  • When I apply for Pharmacy school, where I don't need to have BS degree, telling them that I had a BS in Computer Science with that GPA would help or hurt me?
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I have a AS from a community college in Computer Science with the GPA of 3.7.
I am going to finish my BS in Computer Science from SUNY with the GPA of about 3.0
Don't really want to work in the IT area anymore, so I think about keep going for a job in Medical or Pharmacy. That mean I have to take the pre-require courses now.
My question are:
  • Should I take it at the same school where I got the BS. This way won't bring my GPA up to 3.5
  • Transfer my credit from my Community College to a different school and start a new major. I think this is a better choice, but is it the "legal" way?
  • When I apply for Pharmacy school, where I don't need to have BS degree, telling them that I had a BS in Computer Science with that GPA would help or hurt me?
Thanks,

The 3.0 GPA from the SUNY will still count. In fact all college course-work is included. Keep in mind schools place a larger emphasis on recent coursework. As for the pharmacy question, post in the pre-pharmacy board. I think you have a long way to go and should first focus on doing the best you can in the pre-reqs and getting some EC's to figure out whether you want to do medicine or pharmacy.

Any class you have taken as an "undergraduate" (like community college or an actual university) will count toward your GPA calculations and it doesn't matter if you did them all in 1 school or a bunch of different schools.

As far as taking your pre-medical sciences, I strongly suggest you take them from the university (rather than the community college).... there is nothing wrong with taking them at a community college, but a student's application looks better with classes taken from a university.

There is a good chance, during your interviews, they will ask you why you decided to go into the health care industry and not atleast try out the I.T business.

As far as right now goes, you have a 3.7 from your CC and a 3.0 from your university (assuming you've taken the same number of credits from both schools), your GPA averages to about 3.3 - 3.4ish
You can easily bring it up to 3.5 or more if you do well on your pre-med sciences (which I believe they are the same as the pre-pharm sciences)

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't really want to work in the IT area anymore

My question are:
Thanks,

looks like a good plan to me. (btw, what were you thinkin majoring in CS??? jk:laugh:)

don't make it too obvious though. every school has BS science/non-science classes. mix them in with 1 or 2 tougher classes. do what it takes to pull that gpa up, and you'll prolly have a good shot at MED school (unless you really wanna be a pharmacist). another good thing to do, would be to apply after senior year, so you have more good grades on your transcript:luck:

Thanks for your responds,
One of my friend just told me when we apply for a medical or pharmacy school, they just count the GPA of the pre-requires courses, not all the course we have taken. Is that true?
Thanks,

One of my friend just told me when we apply for a medical or pharmacy school, they just count the GPA of the pre-requires courses, not all the course we have taken. Is that true?
Thanks,

well they look at your BCMP (biology, chemistry, math, and physics) GPA
but AO cut off is at 3.0. if your AO gpa is less then 3.0 then they don't consider anyone's application. However your's is above the 3.0 point.

ROCK THE MCAT!!!!

Thanks,

your "friend" is misinformed...go to the AMCAS website and download some of the PDFs and get "informed"...