The Big Creighton/Omaha Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LJDHC05

Former Chicken Slayer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO, I am an ignorant New Englander who is scheduled to interview at Creighton in Omaha, NE. I'm not proud to admit this, but I had to google Omaha to find out where it was when I got my invite. I haven't really dealt with being more than 100 miles away from the ocean for more than a week in my whole life. The midwest has just been the patchwork of squares outside the plane window on the way to California where corn comes from.

Being from the Boston area, I've been trained to not look people in the eye on the subway, not really be friendly or even polite to strangers and to drive like a maniac where ever I am going. What is Omaha like? Are the people like the stereotypical super-friendly midwesterners? Are there seafood resturaunts? What do people do there? Am I going to piss off an interviewer if I dont call him/her by sir/ma'am? Are there any strange mid-western rituals that I should be aware of? Will I be mocked if I mistakenly ask where the bubbler is or errantly drop an r from an occasional word?

I know that the mid-west is supposed to be friendly, but I'm actually pretty nervous about going there...any help/advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm in the same boat you're in! I'm a life-long New Englander bravely going to interview at Creighton on 12/9. My family thinks I'm absolutely crazy! But I figure its an interview. I'm only going to spend one night in Omaha so I won't get much time to interact with the folk there so I'm curious too about what its really like.

I'm curious too, are those initials an indication of where you graduated from?

:laugh: This is hilarious. Nebraska is not a different country. About Omaha, the music scene is really big - Saddle Creek records is out of Omaha, and as far as seafood goes, i'm not sure, but you'll get great beef if you like steak.

Now you're going to meet all kinds of people in Omaha, but I'd say the general consensus is that people are more friendly. So when you're walking down the sidewalk, make eye contact and it's definitely ok to say hi. In your interview, I wouldn't act any differently than I would elsewhere --- always be polite, use firm handshake, and be grateful that you got an interview there coming from where you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omaha is supposed to be one of the best towns to raise a family in and I interviewed for a job at a hospital there and was very impressed with the town (granted I am from the midwest so my standards are probably different from yours).

I'm an east-coaster (currently in Boston), and I just interviewed at Creighton last week. I was one of the only east-coasters there.

People aren't insanely nice that it's frightening, but they are quite friendly. Granted, I thought everyone was cruel and evil when I moved to Boston (originally from right outside of Philly).

The size of the city will probably be the main thing that shocks you. It's SMALL.

I don't know if there are seafood restaurants, but if there are, I won't eat at them after eating lobster in maine and crabs in maryland. Stick to the beef...it's good.

Another big difference b/w Creighton and other schools-- everyone seems to be married at Creighton. I'm single and plan to be single for quite some time, just like all of my college buddies, so it's weird for me to see so many 22-30 year olds already married.

The place isn't a big cultural and artistic melting pot like Boston or NYC, but there are bars and good music, so I know I would be happy there.

I don't know what to tell you about the accent, man. People will probably laugh at you. :laugh:

HC05 yeah, I was a 2005 graduate and chem major. If you know Aaron Mancuso, he's there right now. PM me, we'll chat

Spiff, will people think I'm an a$$ if I do my normal Boston walk with my head down and ignore the world around me? Cause really, I do it every day when I walk to and from work. Eye contact is just not a boston thing at all. And what kind of music scene are we talking about? Country isnt my thing, simply because there's maybe 1 country station in Boston, and maybe 3 out in the rural parts of the state.

Trish, thanks for the Boston tainted advice. I see you're sticking with the Jesuits too...:)

I'm intrigued and a little less frightened of omaha, but I could always use more advice :)

LJDHC05 said:
HC05 yeah, I was a 2005 graduate and chem major. If you know Aaron Mancuso, he's there right now. PM me, we'll chat

Spiff, will people think I'm an a$$ if I do my normal Boston walk with my head down and ignore the world around me? Cause really, I do it every day when I walk to and from work. Eye contact is just not a boston thing at all. And what kind of music scene are we talking about? Country isnt my thing, simply because there's maybe 1 country station in Boston, and maybe 3 out in the rural parts of the state.

I'm intrigued and a little less frightened of omaha, but I could always use more advice :)

i'm told there's a decent indie rock scene.

and i wouldn't worry about the eye contact thing if i were you.

I live in MN, raised in SD, and have been to Omaha several time. Some of the stereotypes are true. We are generally more friendly than the East or West coast. There is Red Lobsters there as well. However, you may find boredom to be a factor. There isn't a whole lot to do in Omaha...or Nebraska for that matter. But you will be studying anyway.

Shock and Horror...GASP of Exhasperation...red lobster is not sea food. I meant like the kind of sea food that is inhumanely ripped from the ocean a few hours before you eat it sea food...I shall miss that

Decent indie rock sounds like my cup of tea (Trish, going to FNX's Miracle on Tremont st. tonight at the roxy? Morning Wood, the Bravery and a couple other bands are playing it. I have work in the morning, but I wanted to go).

Boredom doesnt sound like a good thing in a place with lots of bars, good music and cows... I could probably get into trouble making fun for myself. Oh well, If anyone has more info on omaha feel free to respond

LJDHC05 said:
Shock and Horror...GASP of Exhasperation...red lobster is not sea food. I meant like the kind of sea food that is inhumanely ripped from the ocean a few hours before you eat it sea food...I shall miss that

Decent indie rock sounds like my cup of tea (Trish, going to FNX's Miracle on Tremont st. tonight at the roxy? Morning Wood, the Bravery and a couple other bands are playing it. I have work in the morning, but I wanted to go).

Boredom doesnt sound like a good thing in a place with lots of bars, good music and cows... I could probably get into trouble making fun for myself. Oh well, If anyone has more info on omaha feel free to respond
Having always lived in land-locked states, I would steer away from restaurants that specialize in other things but serve seafood. However, there are always good seafood specialy restaurants, so you should be fine.

Omaha is small, but the great thing about it is it doesn't try to be big. It prides itself on its size. That's nice. I always see Denver as a small city (vs. Chicago, where I'm from) that tries to be big.

when are you interviewing? I'll be there on Friday. anyone else? Don't you want to see what gdbaby looks like?

I'd like to see what GDBaby looks like....too bad I'm not interviewing at Creighton....yet.

And yes, I agree Red Lobster is NOT seafood. It's a restaurant that serves a poor quality attempt at seafood.

bring a spaceheater, its -10 in Omaha right now. Creighton is a sweet place...

Members don't see this ad :)
LJDHC05 said:

No, not going to tonight's concert just because I HATE that freaking Morningwood song that FNX constantly plays; I would really like to see The Bravery and Hot Hot Heat, though. I do go to lots of FNX concerts...this year I saw the killers, interpol, franz ferdinand, ok go, louis the xiv, to name a few. And I have a picture of me and Mike Swasey :)

Um, I would definitely get drunk and go harass some cows with you in omaha. Now that's fun!

Why would anyone assume there was fresh sea food in Omaha anyway.....

Praetorian said:
I'd like to see what GDBaby looks like....too bad I'm not interviewing at Creighton....yet.

And yes, I agree Red Lobster is NOT seafood. It's a restaurant that serves a poor quality attempt at seafood.

Sartre79 said:
Why would anyone assume there was fresh sea food in Omaha anyway.....

No assumptions, but I grew up eating fish like once or twice a week. So it's just a foreign concept not to have good seafood around. See my OP for a proper explanation (ignorant new englander). I'm interviewing Jan 6th, because I'm already scheduled this friday...sorry GDBaby...

Watch out for those midwesterners...I hear they bite. ;) Seriously, though, people are friendly but I don't think you would stand out in any way. Omaha isn't huge, but I wouldn't call it small. Just drive to some of the other towns in Nebraska and you'll know what I mean. I'm sure it has some cultural stuff to offer, and if it doesn't you are only a few hours away from Kansas City which has a lot to do.
Oh...and what is a bubbler?

LJDHC05 said:
SO, I am an ignorant New Englander who is scheduled to interview at Creighton in Omaha, NE. I'm not proud to admit this, but I had to google Omaha to find out where it was when I got my invite. I haven't really dealt with being more than 100 miles away from the ocean for more than a week in my whole life. The midwest has just been the patchwork of squares outside the plane window on the way to California where corn comes from.

Being from the Boston area, I've been trained to not look people in the eye on the subway, not really be friendly or even polite to strangers and to drive like a maniac where ever I am going. What is Omaha like? Are the people like the stereotypical super-friendly midwesterners? Are there seafood resturaunts? What do people do there? Am I going to piss off an interviewer if I dont call him/her by sir/ma'am? Are there any strange mid-western rituals that I should be aware of? Will I be mocked if I mistakenly ask where the bubbler is or errantly drop an r from an occasional word?

I know that the mid-west is supposed to be friendly, but I'm actually pretty nervous about going there...any help/advice is much appreciated.

Well, you are going to an area where people own guns, vote for Bush, and admire the military. Can you handle that?

TheDarkSide said:
A bubbler is a water fountain. :D
Your avatars are slaying me!

Well compared to Boston/NYC and California, of course Omaha is going to be 'small' and 'culturally lacking' - anywhere, short of....say Paris, would be. Although it's not *sooo* bad. There are over 1 million living within 60 miles, and around 850,000 within the metro proper. It ranked within the top 25 of cities with the most educated workforce and ranked by Forbes as being the 11th best city in the country for Business and Careers, and the cost of living 11% below [edit-typo monster] the national average. Omaha is home to 5 Fortune 500 companies and has more millionaires per capita than any other city in the U.S.. In terms of things to do, Omaha's Qwest Center also ranks 8th in THE WORLD in concert ticket sales and Omaha has more restaurants and golf courses per capita than any city in the U.S.. There's also the indie music scene which is gaining (as was mentioned earlier). The College World Series (NCAA Men's Baseball Championship Tourney) is held at Rossenblatt Stadium every year, which is a blast. Oh, and we Do have tall buildings, too (the tallest building between Chicago and Denver )

Anyways - to end what is quickly turning into a chamber of commerce talking points memo, Omaha really isn't a bad place to live - things are cheap, there are things to do, there ARE good seafood joints (a place downtown called "Absolutely Fresh" flies in fresh seafood daily), there is a thriving arts scene downtown, and things are CHEAP!

TheDarkSide said:
Thanks! Now I've got to find one to make for Yale... :laugh:
Can you make one for me for Indiana? :laugh:

nebrfan said:
Well compared to Boston/NYC and California, of course Omaha is going to be 'small' and 'culturally lacking' - anywhere, short of....say Paris, would be. Although it's not *sooo* bad. There are over 1 million living within 60 miles, and around 850,000 within the metro proper. It ranked within the top 25 of cities with the most educated workforce and ranked by Forbes as being the 11th best city in the country for Business and Careers, and the cost of living 11% the national average. Omaha is home to 5 Fortune 500 companies and has more millionaires per capita than any other city in the U.S.. In terms of things to do, Omaha's Qwest Center also ranks 8th in THE WORLD in concert ticket sales and Omaha has more restaurants and golf courses per capita than any city in the U.S.. There's also the indie music scene which is gaining (as was mentioned earlier). The College World Series (NCAA Men's Baseball Championship Tourney) is held at Rossenblatt Stadium every year, which is a blast. Oh, and we Do have tall buildings, too (the tallest building between Chicago and Denver )

Anyways - to end what is quickly turning into a chamber of commerce talking points memo, Omaha really isn't a bad place to live - things are cheap, there are things to do, there ARE good seafood joints (a place downtown called "Absolutely Fresh" flies in fresh seafood daily), there is a thriving arts scene downtown, and things are CHEAP!
Wow, the list of schools I am applying to just increased. :thumbup:

Praetorian said:
Can you make one for me for Indiana? :laugh:

Your wish is my command. :D

IUSOM.jpg

So, beerfan makes Omaha sound pretty cool... I'm assuming that there's good beer there too from the avatar. The cheap thing is definitely a plus living on loans...especially compared to Boston or NYC or DC. I may even be willing to sacrifice a little culture for a couple grand less in debt coming out of school. But really if there are that many millionaires per capita, they have to drag their yuppie cultural influences along with them. Granted I did go to college in Worcester, which is a city of about a million and definitely not a cultural hub of the universe, so I guess Omaha couldnt be that much worse. The most important question I have is if there is a Dunkin Donuts anywhere in Omaha? That could be the deal breaker in my book. I would be willing to walk about 5 miles across the artic tundra (or frozen plains of Nebraska) in flip flops and boardshorts for a cup of dunkin donuts coffee.

Speaking of which, how cold is it going to be in January? Are we talking bring the thermal underwear and ski pants to save my reproductive abilities kind of cold or will it be a balmy 15 degrees F? And how late does winter run? Does it atleast snow or is it just really really cold?

And BOHICA, just because I'm a New Englander doesnt mean that I've never shot a rifle, seen a conservative (my parents are), or disrespected the military (where do you think I learned to shoot?). There are alot of us liberals that still support the military, believe in God, and enjoy killing innocent animals and eating them. Please don't get me started on a politically moderate and inoffensive tyrade about how partisan politics remove any rational thought from the political process. Does Nebraska teach Intelligent Design?

This is what I got when I went on Yahoo yellow pages

Sorry, no Dunkin Donuts found in or nearby Omaha, NE

Praetorian said:
But there is good news.....You can order the coffee online at: https://www.dunkindonuts.com/shoponline/
I also noticed, LJDH, that you and I and a couple of tens of thousands of dollars could open up our OWN DnD in Omaha. We would make a killing, plus all the free coffee and cruellers we want!

LJDHC05 said:
But really if there are that many millionaires per capita, they have to drag their yuppie cultural influences along with them.
That is true - there is a _lot_ of money in Omaha, and those who have it aren't afraid to spend it on community development. This fall a new $90 million performing arts center opened downtown, which was financed almost exclusively with private donations. (1.8 Billion in total downtown development over the last 6 years) Private dollars also support the Omaha Community Playhouse, which is the largest Community (amateur, although you wouldn't know it based on the quality of their work) theater in the country and Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo takes in quite a bit in donations and is considered one of the best zoos in the country.

Speaking of which, how cold is it going to be in January? Are we talking bring the thermal underwear and ski pants to save my reproductive abilities kind of cold or will it be a balmy 15 degrees F? And how late does winter run? Does it atleast snow or is it just really really cold?

Average temp in Jan is 22 F - the same as Boston - just no Nor'easters here.

Please don't get me started on a politically moderate and inoffensive tyrade about how partisan politics remove any rational thought from the political process. Does Nebraska teach Intelligent Design?

And I think you'll find that Omaha is suprisingly moderate (although slightly right-leaning)and has its share of liberals. State Senator Chambers, from North Omaha ('urban core' of omaha) could make Ted Kennedy blush. While Nebraska as a whole has been a red state presidentially for a while, the state supports moderate democrats - our last Gov. was a D, and we've had at least one D senator for at least the past 10 years. (Only 3 Representatives - One for Omaha, one for Lincoln/East Nebraska that's not Omaha, and one for the rest of nebraska). And no, no intelligent design. Nebraska may be largely rural - but we're no Kansas ;-)

This was super helpful. Can't wait to see you guys in 2 days!

Praetorian said:

A little analogy refresher:

Red Lobster is to seafood as The Olive Garden is to Italian food.

LJDHC05 said:

You may want to check out Saddlecreek Records - I think there are some free MP3s. Saddlecreek is the biggest indie label in town - the ones with Bright Eyes, which has become somewhat popular across the country (Although I personally thing he's a whiney little bitch). They also used to have Rilo Kiley (They sing that 'Bad News' song from Grey's Anatomy) - although Rilo recently jumped ship to sign with a major label (Sony I think) - which is kinda funny, because the band is originally from L.A. and moved TO Omaha to make it big. Some are calling Omaha the next Seattle in terms of a music revolution - although even I think that's a bit of a stretch.

State Senator Chambers, from North Omaha ('urban core' of omaha) could make Ted Kennedy blush. ... Nebraska may be largely rural - but we're no Kansas ;-)

the only thing is takes to make Uncle Teddy blush is the pint of whiskey in his morning coffee. Either that or about 12 seconds in a Supreme Court Confirmation Hearing for Harriet Myers...:) (I voted for him)

Perhaps we should invest in opening up a DD in omaha. I know there's atleast one other person in Omaha who would appreciate it. Perhaps that's a way to finance my medical education!

Anyway, thanks for all the advice...NEBeerfan...any local brews I should check out, or is it mostly bud/miller/coors (yech)?

PBMaxx said:
A little analogy refresher:

Red Lobster is to seafood as The Olive Garden is to Italian food.

unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks for like $3.95????

LJDHC05 said:
Anyway, thanks for all the advice...NEBeerfan...any local brews I should check out, or is it mostly bud/miller/coors (yech)?

Try Upstream... downtown area. We had our student / applicant dinner there the night of my interview and they had a beer menu that had at least 25 beers on it that were all non-standard drafts etc.

nebrfan said:
You may want to check out Saddlecreek Records - I think there are some free MP3s. Saddlecreek is the biggest indie label in town - the ones with Bright Eyes, which has become somewhat popular across the country (Although I personally thing he's a whiney little bitch). They also used to have Rilo Kiley (They sing that 'Bad News' song from Grey's Anatomy) - although Rilo recently jumped ship to sign with a major label (Sony I think) - which is kinda funny, because the band is originally from L.A. and moved TO Omaha to make it big. Some are calling Omaha the next Seattle in terms of a music revolution - although even I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Saddlecreek also has Cursive who is one of the best bands I've heard in a long time. Their newest CD, The Ugly Organ, is incredible. Calling Bright Eyes' singer a whiny bitch is an understatement, but they still play some pretty good music (good study music at least)

LJDHC05 said:
...any local brews I should check out, or is it mostly bud/miller/coors (yech)?

I second The Upstream - nice location in the Old Market, good microbrews, and good food. There's also Jobber's Canyon, a new local microbrew. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I hear good things. It's also downtown in the Old Market next door to Deliche's (sp?), which is a nice European style bakery/coffee shop. It's a nice place to stop for a light breakfast and coffee/tea w/ a good book in the morning.

I have a question: Why is beer so G-D expensive in Omaha?? Even the "cheap" stuff??

I interviewed in Omaha in January and I couldn't stand the thought of living there, even if UNMC did have the absolute best interview food of any school anywhere. I have never regretted my decision.

My interview at Creighton is on 1/6. is that usually around storm season? I'm afraid that I'll get stuck at the airport. I have an international flight to catch the same day i go home from Creighton. I know, it's not the best choice I have made in my life, but can anyone help ease my anxiety?

virluminous said:
My interview at Creighton is on 1/6. is that usually around storm season? I'm afraid that I'll get stuck at the airport. I have an international flight to catch the same day i go home from Creighton. I know, it's not the best choice I have made in my life, but can anyone help ease my anxiety?

I wouldn't worry too much - according to NOAA - Omaha averages around 7 inches of snow for the month of Jan.. As a comparison, in Jan. Boston averages around 13 inches...Chicago 11 inches...so, depending on where your international flight leaves - you may be more likely to get snowed in there than in Omaha ;-)

Whee, I received my first medical school acceptance today, from Creighton none the less! Definitely my top choice school! I'm so hyped right now~

gbleeker said:
Whee, I received my first medical school acceptance today, from Creighton none the less! Definitely my top choice school! I'm so hyped right now~

Congrats!! Where are you from/going to undergrad?

nebrfan said:
Congrats!! Where are you from/going to undergrad?

Southwest Baptist University, graduated in May of 2005, so I've been done with school for 7 months so far.

gbleeker said:
Congats!! Just interviewed yesterday and they said we should hear in about 2 weeks. Here's hoping for a good christmas present!

Ok gdbaby, so tell me.. what were you opinions of Creighton honestly?

I haven't interviewed at a TON of other schools, especially the "big name" schools (although I feel that name is not everything -- rather it is what you do when you yourself get into any school) so I was curious, especially since you are applying to several schools, what you thought?