NMH2001

Ferret Momma
15+ Year Member
May 27, 2001
Status (Visible)
Out of curiosity, just how exactly do we find out where we matched on Mar 15th? Some say we get an email from the NMRP, others say we log onto the system to find out-

Which one is it??
THanks!

cali-ob

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
back where I belong!
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
from what I understand, the e-mail, is the one that comes on Monday of match week, telling you whether you matched or not. On the actual match day, you can either log into the system, OR, attend your school's match day ceremony, and they would give you the sealed envelop to open at noon or whenever your school does it.

About the Ads

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
from what I understand, the e-mail, is the one that comes on Monday of match week, telling you whether you matched or not. On the actual match day, you can either log into the system, OR, attend your school's match day ceremony, and they would give you the sealed envelop to open at noon or whenever your school does it.

Right, 03/15 you log into the syestem you will find your program. Congratulation in advance!!

mlw03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
at our school there's a big ceremony with the envelopes and such - you go up and find out, along with everyone else, where you matched. i believe the ceremony starts at noon eastern time, which is when the results are officially released. maybe i'll have a friend who's not there check online and text message me the result so i don't have to wait for them to pull my envelope out of a hat? nah... that'd be kinda lame i think.

wook

Just a hairy situation
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2002
Where the tides of madness swell
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Out of curiosity, just how exactly do we find out where we matched on Mar 15th? Some say we get an email from the NMRP, others say we log onto the system to find out-

Which one is it??
THanks!

Both. You get an e-mail early in the week indicating that you matched or did not match. After that I don't remember. I think I had to log in and found out where I matched.

Good luck and let me know where you match to!!

Wook

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Only one email

"Mon, ?? Mar ???? 11:50:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Did I Match?

Congratulations! You have matched.

Check the Match Site at https://services.nrmp.org/r3/ on Thursday March
??, ???? at 1:00 PM EST to find out where you matched. Because you are
matched, you do not have access to any information about unfilled
programs."

Stable asystole

I think I smell a M&M
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I found out a couple of days before, the Program Director called me and broke the good news. The programs find out a few days before we do.

lateness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
West of East
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I found out a couple of days before, the Program Director called me and broke the good news. The programs find out a few days before we do.

really, i heard once before the programs find out before the applicants. but isnt that technically, a violation of nrmps rules?

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Applicants find out on Monday whether they matched or did not match via email. For those of you applying to prelim + advanced programs, you will find out whether you matched in neither, one, or both.

This gives applicants 24 hours to think about what they want to do.

On Tuesday, at 11:30, programs find out if they filled or not. We do not know who we've gotten, just whether we filled or not.

On Tuesday, at 12 Noon, the Scramble (or Scrumble, if you prefer), starts. All hell breaks loose, as unmatched applicants contact unfilled programs. There are many threads here about how difficult and unpleasant this process can be, but many "scrumblers" end up with positions in the end.

On Wednesday, programs are given their rosters of matched candidates. These are confidential and cannot be shared with applicants. Releasing this info early would be a match violation and bad news for a program. It's a bit unclear to me why they do this, since waiting another 24 hours really wouldn't matter.

On Thursday, starting usually around 11:30 east coast and 8:30 west coast, envelopes are handed out at US med schools containing match information. If you scramble, you get an envelope too, so it's not so embarrasing.

On Thursday, after 12 noon EST, the NRMP website is open to applicants logging in and seeing their matches. Independent applicants find out their matches this way, as does anyone not attending match day ceremonies. Hence, you should not be able to tell where you matched prior to the match day ceremony.

The only exception to this timeline is if you apply for an advanced and prelim program, and only match to one of them. I believe (but could be completely wrong) that in this case, they actually tell you prior to the scramble at least in what city your match is, so you can plan your scramble accordingly. Any confirmation of this would be great!

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
Seems like a load of BS to me that programs find out their roster before applicants find out where they are headed. What would be the harm in both finding out at the same time? Why do programs need a 24 hour head start? Seems to me like if anyone needs more time, it is the applicant. Unless I've got this all wrong, it is the applicant that has to pick up and move, and not the program building a hospital and program where the applicant already lives.

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Seems like a load of BS to me that programs find out their roster before applicants find out where they are headed. What would be the harm in both finding out at the same time? Why do programs need a 24 hour head start? Seems to me like if anyone needs more time, it is the applicant. Unless I've got this all wrong, it is the applicant that has to pick up and move, and not the program building a hospital and program where the applicant already lives.

You are completely right. I think the match people want something to work with like violation from candidate or program. So, they can add another table reporting how efficient they work.

About the Ads

filter07

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So basically what happens is that the results are done by Monday but they make you wait a few days for no reason. I love how medicine works.

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
So basically what happens is that the results are done by Monday but they make you wait a few days for no reason. I love how medicine works.

No, technically the match results are already done. They are now doing "quality control."

scully

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 1999
Big D
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I heard today that a PD told this guy that the programs actually already know since the match algorithm takes only seconds. Could this be true, or was he just messing with him?

Also- does the program where we match know what number they were on our list?

Medical123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2001
Status (Visible)

An ER resident told me that a couple of years ago one of her friends received an e-mail from the program where she had Matched the night before the official results were released! It is a good thing. She matched into a very competitive field, but only got her 7th choice. She was very disappointed, but had time to compose herself before she had to "go public" on Match Day! I would choke if I were to open my envelope in front of a large group of people only to find out that I had matched at a very undesirable place! I think that composing myself would be very difficult!

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
15+ Year Member
May 27, 2001
Status (Visible)
Also- does the program where we match know what number they were on our list?

Good question...

also, when we log onto the system match day does it tell us what number our match was (ex: Podunk hospital, number 2 on your ROL)? Or just tell us where we matched?

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I agree with the poster that mentioned that programs really don't need to know the results 24 hours ahead of the match.

Programs do not know who they have matched until the day before match day (Wednesday). We do not know now, and we do not know before the scramble. Releasing this information early is a major match violation. I am surprised the NRMP doesn't just release all the information on Match day to both programs and applicants.

As for why it takes so long, here is the NRMP's answer from their website:

Why does it take three weeks from rank order list deadline to Match Day?
During that time, NRMP takes a number of major steps to assure the accuracy of both the Match and the subsequent release of Match information. Those steps include:

• Checking the integrity and completeness of the data.
  • Transferring the data to the algorithm module, checking it again, and running the Match.
  • Verifying the results of the Match and transferring the data into the NRMP databases.
  • Creating more than 60,000 individual reports for applicants, programs, and schools, and assuring confidentiality of the information. The reports are then posted to the Web in accordance with the Match Results schedule.
  • In addition, time is allotted for unmatched applicants and unfilled programs to make decisions before Match Day.

Programs do not know where you ranked us on your lists. Neither do you find out where we ranked you.

Entei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
Good question...

also, when we log onto the system match day does it tell us what number our match was (ex: Podunk hospital, number 2 on your ROL)? Or just tell us where we matched?

Well, you're the one who made the list, right? Why would you need someone to remind you what number the program was on your list? Being hammered from the peri-Match celebrations is the only reason I can think of. :smuggrin:

As for why it takes so long... did it take just as long when the Match was done by hand by the little old ladies in the rented out hall? I know it's in vogue to blame problems on the vagaries of the internet and claim technical difficulties, but I can't understand how, even if they do "extensive quality testing," it could possibly still take this long to send out the results. I suspect it's along the same lines of why we can't get our Step scores as soon as we finish the exam, or why they can't include where you matched in the "Did I Match?" email they send you two days before the big day. :rolleyes: It's tradition and a monopoly, so why would they change the timeframe?

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
Only one email

"Mon, ?? Mar ???? 11:50:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Did I Match?

Congratulations! You have matched.

Check the Match Site at https://services.nrmp.org/r3/ on Thursday March
??, ???? at 1:00 PM EST to find out where you matched. Because you are
matched, you do not have access to any information about unfilled
programs."

Is this really to be expected?

Tigger14

Ready to move
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Is this really to be expected?

That is approximately the email I got. While details of who matched in what program are not available ahead of time, I knew I got my first program when I matched, and the next day, the website said that they did not fill their spots. Otherwise, there is not supposed to be early disclosure of match info.

For fellowship match, you log onto nrmp after a designated time and it will tell you if you matched and where. There is not a week-long series of emails to go through.

About the Ads

dpmd

Relaxing
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Lazytown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
One reason I can think of why they don't release match details on the Monday, is that it makes it less embarrasing for those who don't match and end up scrambling into something. This way, the only people that know are those you told, and those that saw you in the Dean's office on tuesday. Same goes for the programs, no one is supposed to know they didn't fill except for those scrambling (although this info has gotten out despite the intentions of the NRMP). Could you imagine if instead the school did the match ceremony on Monday, and you were one of the people to open your envelope and see "we are sorry to inform you you did not match to any program". That would be areal downer for everyone else too I would guess.

Entei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
One reason I can think of why they don't release match details on the Monday, is that it makes it less embarrasing for those who don't match and end up scrambling into something. This way, the only people that know are those you told, and those that saw you in the Dean's office on tuesday. Same goes for the programs, no one is supposed to know they didn't fill except for those scrambling (although this info has gotten out despite the intentions of the NRMP). Could you imagine if instead the school did the match ceremony on Monday, and you were one of the people to open your envelope and see "we are sorry to inform you you did not match to any program". That would be areal downer for everyone else too I would guess.

There's no reason why the Match ceremony would have to be on Monday. It could still be held after the Scramble. The only difference would be that the people who did match would also find out on Monday, in the privacy of their own homes where they could be happy or disappointed about the news in private, WHERE they matched instead of just saying that they did match... somewhere. I don't think this would make the people scrambling feel any worse, and there could still be a ceremony a few days later with everyone's participation.

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
That is approximately the email I got. While details of who matched in what program are not available ahead of time, I knew I got my first program when I matched, and the next day, the website said that they did not fill their spots. Otherwise, there is not supposed to be early disclosure of match info.

For fellowship match, you log onto nrmp after a designated time and it will tell you if you matched and where. There is not a week-long series of emails to go through.

Did you think, "What if they didn't put me on their rank list?" even though you saw they had some unmatched slots?

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Did you think, "What if they didn't put me on their rank list?" even though you saw they had some unmatched slots?

This is very common, programs usually will not rank all candidates.

Tigger14

Ready to move
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I did, but since they had contacted me before rank lists were due to say they were interested, I did not think it was likely. In any case, I only ranked places at which I would have felt comfortable, and it was nice just to know I had matched.

D

deleted109597

To answer the "what if people who scrambled found out when everyone else did" response, I have this to add.
Every year, plenty of people find out they matched a lot lower down their list than they thought they would. If these people knew beforehand, they would be able to keep a straight face better during the ceremony.

Although I think the ceremony is pointless anyway. The people I want to know where I match, I'll tell. My (extended) family isn't allowed to come(like, parents, kids), and they are the ones that it means most to. If they didn't make me go, I wouldn't. I would just check my email.

maugham

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
Status (Visible)
Match day ceremonies are a little weird: receiving life-altering news in such a public forum with the unavoidable reality that some will be greatly disappointed amid a generally celebratory environment. Medicine has many bizarre traditions, and I definitely count this as one of them.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Match day ceremonies are a little weird: receiving life-altering news in such a public forum with the unavoidable reality that some will be greatly disappointed amid a generally celebratory environment. Medicine has many bizarre traditions, and I definitely count this as one of them.

Another reason why I'm glad my school doesn't have one.

D

deleted113029

Although I think the ceremony is pointless anyway. The people I want to know where I match, I'll tell. My (extended) family isn't allowed to come(like, parents, kids), and they are the ones that it means most to. If they didn't make me go, I wouldn't. I would just check my email.

:( my wife (and anyone else who wants to) will come to the match ceremony. I think your school blows for not sharing that moment with family!:mad:

About the Ads
D

deleted113029

I agree with the poster that mentioned that programs really don't need to know the results 24 hours ahead of the match.

Programs do not know who they have matched until the day before match day (Wednesday). We do not know now, and we do not know before the scramble. Releasing this information early is a major match violation. I am surprised the NRMP doesn't just release all the information on Match day to both programs and applicants.

maybe this is their odd way of testing integrity? the nrmp is beggin' PD's to violate match rules by releasing results to them the day before match day. something tells me that the nrmp is made up of grape nuts eating fools.

Entei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2002
Status (Visible)

I couldn't agree more. I'm not really enthusiastic at all about the Match Day ceremony. I'd rather spend that moment alone, or with people who were sources of support during the last four, long years. I have no desire to share that moment with gunning, backstabbing classmates or with an administration that's been more of a hinderance than a help to my career. :rolleyes:

Hey, Villin... are you ever going to change your huge signature, or are you still waiting hear from those programs now that the ROL deadline has passed? :smuggrin:

D

deleted113029

Hey, Villin... are you ever going to change your huge signature, or are you still waiting hear from those programs now that the ROL deadline has passed? :smuggrin:

:( arrrgh! i had no idea my sig was still like that. thanks for notifying me.

dpmd

Relaxing
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Lazytown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
We are not required to go to our match day ceremony, but family and friends are allowed. The main draw (besides getting to find out half an hour early) is the alcohol provided by the class budget. Funny part is that we are on the west coast, so the drinking begins just after breakfast.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
We are not required to go to our match day ceremony, but family and friends are allowed. The main draw (besides getting to find out half an hour early) is the alcohol provided by the class budget. Funny part is that we are on the west coast, so the drinking begins just after breakfast.

Yeah, even though we don't have a match ceremony and I'm way out in the sticks on a rotation anyway, I do plan to take the afternoon off, drive home to the city, and park myself on a barstool until I fall off it. ;)

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yeah, even though we don't have a match ceremony and I'm way out in the sticks on a rotation anyway, I do plan to take the afternoon off, drive home to the city, and park myself on a barstool until I fall off it. ;)

Amen sister, Amen. :thumbup:

However, I am looking to the ceremony of Match Day. I assumed most people made great friends in med school... you slaved through it together. I'm excited about finding out with my buddies and family.

SLUser11

CRS
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Amen sister, Amen. :thumbup:

However, I am looking to the ceremony of Match Day. I assumed most people made great friends in med school... you slaved through it together. I'm excited about finding out with my buddies and family.

This ceremony can have a very weird dynamic to it. By the time envelopes are handed out, most of the students are pretty drunk, and then about 50% of them get exactly what they want, and then celebrate, while 25% or so get something OK but less than optimal, and still manage to celebrate and another 25% are unhappy, with a small number (maybe 5%) very visibly unhappy.

Basically, the room is filled with some people crying because they're so happy, others crying because they're so sad, and you're looking at this trying to figure out what type of cry it is, and if you should go congratulate them or leave them alone, and you're really drunk so your ability to tell the difference is compromised.........it's an emotional clusterf#@k.

After all that's sorted out, you either drink more to celebrate, or drink more to console yourself, so then you and your friends are all extremely drunk....several group hugs are performed.....you mention to them exactly how much you love them, etc....then you start making phone calls to your family and friends, maybe you're still crying..........

Personally, I was near-blackout drunk, celebrating and calling people (there were some tears of joy, but I did like a hundred pushups afterward so they didn't count)....then we all went to the casino, where I was immediately kicked out for being too drunk. Then, while trying to sober up on the curb outside the casino, my new PD called me to say congratulations, and I very eloquently responded that I was very happy with my match results, and would work very hard for next 5 years......except I was super-drunk, so really I just mumbled incomprehensible syllables into my cell phone, and I'm sure the PD immediately regretted her decision to take such a raging alcoholic.

Of course all of this is just my personal experience, and your experience can obviously be very different, especially if you're not a drinker.

D

deleted113029

Then, while trying to sober up on the curb outside the casino, my new PD called me to say congratulations, and I very eloquently responded that I was very happy with my match results, and would work very hard for next 5 years......except I was super-drunk, so really I just mumbled incomprehensible syllables into my cell phone, and I'm sure the PD immediately regretted her decision to take such a raging alcoholic.

:wow: you answered the phone?!!

fozzy40

15+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2001
Portland, OR
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Just of curiosity, do residency programs ever receive information about how many of their interviewees did not rank their program? For example, if a residency program offers 40 interviews spots but only 20 of those ranked them. Do programs have access to this information?

mmed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Just of curiosity, do residency programs ever receive information about how many of their interviewees did not rank their program? For example, if a residency program offers 40 interviews spots but only 20 of those ranked them. Do programs have access to this information?

No

Tigger14

Ready to move
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
By the time envelopes are handed out, most of the students are pretty drunk... and you're really drunk so your ability to tell the difference is compromised.........it's an emotional clusterf#@k.

There was no alcohol at my Match Day. :mad:

Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
The Hub
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I think time has officially stopped. I can't believe we still have almost two weeks left of "checking the integrity"!!!

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
There was no alcohol at my Match Day. :mad:

:eek: I keep reading this sentence and yet it still doesn't make sense.

99.9999999% of me is unsure why we have to wait this long to find out where we're going when the results are already tabulated in some stupid server somewhere.

.00000001% of me likes this period because there is no disappointment. Right now I don't know whether I've matched at my numero uno or not whereas on March 15th.... you get the drift.

sluggo

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My school insists that we go to match. I ain't going. What are they gonna do?

kaos

Web Crawler
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2002
Limbo
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This ceremony can have a very weird dynamic to it. By the time envelopes are handed out, most of the students are pretty drunk, and then about 50% of them get exactly what they want, and then celebrate, while 25% or so get something OK but less than optimal, and still manage to celebrate and another 25% are unhappy, with a small number (maybe 5%) very visibly unhappy.

Basically, the room is filled with some people crying because they're so happy, others crying because they're so sad, and you're looking at this trying to figure out what type of cry it is, and if you should go congratulate them or leave them alone, and you're really drunk so your ability to tell the difference is compromised.........it's an emotional clusterf#@k.
This is definitely the best post of this thread. :laugh: :laugh:

goldengate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
Just of curiosity, do residency programs ever receive information about how many of their interviewees did not rank their program?
The following, from the NRMP website, was news to me -

On the Monday after Match Week, institutional officials and program directors can view their Match Results by Ranked Applicant in the R3 System. Applicants are listed in the order of the program's rank order list. Displayed next to each applicant's name is the applicant's match status: the program to which the applicant matched, "unmatched," "withdrew" or "no ROL." The report helps program directors evaluate their programs.

So, programs can derive something about your ROL from the above info.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.