The Big Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO/MBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you seasoned veterans think I should do? I have the option of rotating my whole third year (and fourth year if I want) at an institution that has an ortho surg residency (the specialty I'm interested in). Or I could go to a small rural area (60-120 beds) and be the only student with 20 docs, then go to the site where I want to do ortho surg my fourth year. Which direction will most likely help me land that residency spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the place you can get the best grades in. I assume you have the USMLE Step I scores to get in. Ortho has been notorious for using very high cut-offs to get an interview. Some years it has been 240+. The next thing they look at are AOA status. In order to get that you need top grades. So go to a place you can get the best grades. Especially true for surgery which grades at my school seem to based upon the self exam. Therefore, it is in your best interest to go to place that will let you study more.