The Big Mega Millions Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dividedsky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of 5pm EST, the Mega Millions is at $370,000,000.00 Drawing is tonight at 11pm. If you won, would you:

For students:
1) Finish med school?
2) Finish med school but NOT do residency/practice medicine
3) continue into residency?

For current residents:
1) complete residency?
2) still practice medicine?
3) say goodbye and never look back?

what seems like a frivolous question actually can be interesting. it can tell you how bad you really want to be a doc. that's a hell of a lot of money.

Members don't see this ad.

Finish school. Since I have all of 60 days, it is not like it is that hard.
After that though, I think I will violate the match. Probably.

As of 5pm EST, the Mega Millions is at $370,000,000.00 Drawing is tonight at 11pm. If you won, would you:

For students:
1) Finish med school?

For current residents:
1) complete residency?

what seems like a frivolous question actually can be interesting. it can tell you how bad you really want to be a doc. that's a hell of a lot of money.

finish but pick and choose where i would go for residency, and i would set my own hours during residency. "with money like that who's gonna argue, noone thats who"

I would payoff my loans and get out of medicine.

I don't think I could reasonably practice EM anymore. I would be a marked man by the lawyers.

Golf, travel, new business ventures.

I would finish school (less than a month left). Then I'd pay off my loans with one big satisfying check. I would probably do residency, so that way I would have a viable skill set so I could work. A little, when I tire of my travels and such.

If I won that kind of money, I would probably die of a heart attack and wouldn't have to worry about making any further decisions about my life! If I survived, I probably would finish school, pay off my loans, and start residency! I would just practice on my own terms once I am finished training!

nobody would bury it in the backyard and continue their life as planned?!?!?! who are you people?...

-tm

I'd transfer the money to my wife (gotta avoid the lawsuits) and get a good lawyer. I'd also probably put a few million in a number of different bank accounts around the world in order to hide it and protect it in case the parasites wanted it in any particular country.

After that, I'd probably finish, though I'd set my own hours and take the job I wanted with less emphasis on making enough to pay back my loans.

buy a plane, pilots, and travel, write, and do whatever i want,

I admire those who would go through residency. but it would be so hard. coming off of a 27 hour call in a zombie-like state, getting home the next day, checking your bank statement that just came in the mail:

Seeing a balance of 150 million dollars (after taxes).

come on. seriously. how could you motivate.

It would be less than that. You need to factor in that taking the lump sum would cut it in half, then taxes would take half of that, so you would be left with 1/4 of the original amount. Roughly.

I'll tell you what I'd do, man. Two chicks at the same time, man. I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.

I would finish fellowship (its only 3 months) but I'd quit medicine, travel, have some plastic surgery, find me a young sugar baby and relax!!:D

Plastic surgery?!? I've seen you...you've gotta be kidding me! You're like the "after" picture! ;)

I'll tell you what I'd do, man. Two chicks at the same time, man. I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.

Well, the kind of chicks that would double up on a guy like you do.

Great movie. :laugh:

i'd still finish med school and residency ... after all, what are you going to do with all that free time? after playing around for a while i'd be so bored ...

I would spend the money on 150 million lottery tickets, because that way I'd really increase my chances of winning a lot of money.

I would finish med school (just 2 more months) and residency (so excited to get started). After that maybe just travel to foreign places and practice medicine in remote places or.........get involved with politics and fight for MDs and patients.........or (well you get the idea) I would do something with medicine....but just not have to worry about the paycheck/student loans/buying house/putting kids I don't yet have through college....

Maybe I am naive

Back in my ultranerdy undergrad years I downloaded all the winning Mega Millions numbers and found a slight anomaly. If numbers are selected randomly then when you plot the sums of all 6 winning numbers you should see a nice bell curve. For instance ther is only six combinations that make a sum of 21 (1+2+3+4+5+6=16), but there may be thousands of ways to make a sum of 160. What I found was a bell curve with a spike at sums between 114-120. Somehow these sums are picked at abnormally higher frequencies than usual. This could be due to adding numbers thoughout the years. Also, roughly 53% of the time a number from the previous winning number is repeated in the new winning number. Wow, what a waste of time that was.

What numbers do I choose.......
Quick Pick baby!!!

For students:
1) Finish med school?

For current residents:
1) complete residency?

With 370 million I'd probably donate 20 million to my school for scholarships for everyone in my class. Then I'd donate another 50 million into a fund for future scholarships.

That leaves 300 million. I would invest 100 million in some type of mututal fund. That's what I will live on for the rest of my life. Or maybe with 100 million I would buy like 4 million shares of Pfizer. Imagine the divdens you'd get every 4th quarter! :laugh:

Then with the 200 million left over I'd build a hospital in a third world country and establish a fund to keep the hospital remaining and self operating.

Of course, however, we all know that Uncle Sam wants a substantial chunk of that money too.:laugh: :laugh:

I would finish residency. And would probably still complete the fellowships I am interested in.

After that, I would want to practice medicine, teach neuroanatomy at an academic hospital, and teach literature at a small, private college.

Oh yeah...I'd also buy three homes, stocks, a yacht, golf clubs, and travel. Alot.

Probably buy a golf course and become the manager. Live at the 19th hole. Invest a 100 mil in some mutual funds and live off the interest. Buy a huge boat and house on a tropical island, and maybe a golf course there too.

I am starting internship this July, and I highly doubt I would finish my residency. Maybe just internship year for the heck of it and to take Step 3 just so I can say I was a licensed doctor.

That would be nice to have!
i would still finish med school (2 more months!), and go through residency and fellowship - it would be much more enjoyable though, with no loans to think about and all the money to enjoy life in my free time. Then afterwards, set up a nice private practice, hire other doctors to work with and then enjoy doing medicine 10am-3pm, 4 days a week :D

I love all the people who state that they would go through residency and fellowship.

Seriously, after that first night of "Why am I here if I don't have to be?", that would end.

I would finish residency, possibly forgo fellowship, go into academic medicine, teach a bit, see patients as well. Travel, travel, travel. Buy a nice apt. in Manhattan, and 2-3 cars. Pump $$ into my family's clinic in India as well as other worthy pursuits.

Nice.

You realize we need you to come in on Saturday? That would be great.

If you asked me this question as a first year medical student:

" Of course I would complete medical school and residency. Medicine was always my passion and it would be such a blessing to help those in need. I stand by the Hippocratic Oath wholeheartedly and will work to the best of my abilities to rid disease from the those afflicted in this great nation of ours. I would then donate half my winnings to medical causes."

If you asked me this question after completing third year of medical school:

"I would probably just finish off my last year of medical school to get my M.D. Residency ain't gonna be happening. Maybe I would volunteer in Africa or Haiti or somewhere to keep up with my medical skills. Oh wait....does Haiti have any nice resorts?"

If you asked me this question now (halfway through residency):

"Hell NO! I would drop out in a nanosecond and never look back. Seriously, I wouln't even give 2 weeks notice. Actually I would be a little nicer than that. I'll pay a midlevel to do my scutwork while I am boarding a private jet that very next morning to Fiji. On my 20 hr flight, I will be smiling from ear to ear as I realize I will never have to step foot in a hospital again to slave away my precious time. I would also set aside 1 million dollars a year from interest off my earnings to fund a "SAVE ME FROM MEDICINE" Scholarship. Each year I would choose four lucky residents to receive a quarter of a million dollars each to pay off their medical school debt enabling them to be set free to live their lives again. The only condition is you have to sign a contract stating you vow never to return to medicine. The most pathetically written essays would win. I'll read them while sipping champagne and sucking on chocolate covered strawberries in some Four Seasons Hotel. Note: Applications from Derm and Rad Onc are void while Family Practice and Medicine will be given special consideration.:D

I would finish med school (only have a couple of months left), not do residency and become a pilot. And travel A LOT. Buy apartments in New York City, Paris and London. And last, but certainly not the least, I would go shopping!!!

I would finish med school (just 2 more months) and residency (so excited to get started). After that maybe just travel to foreign places and practice medicine in remote places or.........get involved with politics and fight for MDs and patients.........or (well you get the idea) I would do something with medicine....but just not have to worry about the paycheck/student loans/buying house/putting kids I don't yet have through college....

Maybe I am naive

You think?

I would also set aside 1 million dollars a year from interest off my earnings to fund a "SAVE ME FROM MEDICINE" Scholarship. Each year I would choose four lucky residents to receive a quarter of a million dollars each to pay off their medical school debt enabling them to be set free to live their lives again.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That is the BEST idea so far!!! I like it! Let's spread the word so the next multimillionaire winner can do that for us not-so-lucky folks!!!
I'm going to get started on my sucky essay right now! :)

I love all the people who state that they would go through residency and fellowship.

Seriously, after that first night of "Why am I here if I don't have to be?", that would end.

I suppose it depends on why you were doing it to begin with.

I would finish my residency, finish at least one fellowship, and teach.

If you asked me this question as a first year medical student:

" Of course I would complete medical school and residency. Medicine was always my passion and it would be such a blessing to help those in need. I stand by the Hippocratic Oath wholeheartedly and will work to the best of my abilities to rid disease from the those afflicted in this great nation of ours. I would then donate half my winnings to medical causes."

If you asked me this question after completing third year of medical school:

"I would probably just finish off my last year of medical school to get my M.D. Residency ain't gonna be happening. Maybe I would volunteer in Africa or Haiti or somewhere to keep up with my medical skills. Oh wait....does Haiti have any nice resorts?"

"Hell NO! I would drop out in a nanosecond and never look back. Seriously, I wouln't even give 2 weeks notice. Actually I would be a little nicer than that. I'll pay a midlevel to do my scutwork while I am boarding a private jet that very next morning to Fiji. On my 20 hr flight, I will be smiling from ear to ear as I realize I will never have to step foot in a hospital again to slave away my precious time. I would also set aside 1 million dollars a year from interest off my earnings to fund a "SAVE ME FROM MEDICINE" Scholarship. Each year I would choose four lucky residents to receive a quarter of a million dollars each to pay off their medical school debt enabling them to be set free to live their lives again. The only condition is you have to sign a contract stating you vow never to return to medicine. The most pathetically written essays would win. I'll read them while sipping champagne and sucking on chocolate covered strawberries in some Four Seasons Hotel. Note: Applications from Derm and Rad Onc are void while Family Practice and Medicine will be given special consideration.:D

Oh man. I am so with you on that. Dude, I would quit this mother****er so fast all you'd hear is a loud "pop" as my finger came out of the fat guy's ass in room six who I am checking for blood in his stool.

For students:
1) Finish med school?

First of all, awesome question!

And now for the answers,

1) I'd finish school but I'd be a lot more relaxed about it.
2) Not do residency/practice medicine? I would definitely pursue a residency but I would shift my interests into a field that has perhaps fewer working hours so I can go back and spend/enjoy that dough!
3) Continue into residency? Absolutely. I'm not 30 yet, I'm fairly sure the novelty of spending money will wear off. Wouldn't hurt to practice for a few years (won't have to worry about saving up to open my own practice!) just to see if I like it or not!

please tell me i'm not the only one who got that this was an 'office space' reference...

if i had that much money i'd still probably do residency and work, but i'd also do a lot of other things, including charitable stuff both in and out of medicine. i mean, i'm 25 years old and used to working my arse off... to go from that to doing nothing would just bore the hell out of me. there's a middle ground where one could work enough to feel satisfied with their contribution to society while still enjoying all that money. but learning how to go a good doc takes a lot of hard work in residency and i don't see any way around that. even if you wanted to just do an internship and then set up a free clinic for the poor, that really wouldn't be fair to your patients, as you'd know you're not as well trained as someone who's gone through a more rigorous 3 year internal medicine residency.

I would spend the money on 150 million lottery tickets, because that way I'd really increase my chances of winning a lot of money.

I love it :thumbup: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I suppose it depends on why you were doing it to begin with.

I would finish my residency, finish at least one fellowship, and teach.

So, if you didn't win the lottery, you would do two fellowships?

Finish School, Residency, Get a Job....I'm hear because I want to be a doctor. So what, you have alot of money now, am I going to sit on my a$$ all day long? I want to be a doctor, everything else is really second to that. Sure I would have a much more comfortable lifestyle and would be able to help my family and friends.... Wait isn't everyone becoming a doctor for altruistic reasons?

most residents would quit on the spot if they had this much money. Unless I was 2-3 months away from finishing, i would quit. life is too short. I would eventually get used to pursuing other interests. A perfect example is my uncle who has been a family physician for 28 yrs (69 yrs old); he still practices full time because he simply doesn't know any better. I don't want to end up like that.

I'm out. I'd finish med school now since I'm 2 weeks away from being done. If I had come across this money earlier on I wouldn't even have given it a second thought-- I'd still be gone. I could think of other things (like sitting on my ass, drinking a latte, and reading a novel) that I'd rather do than this.

This is the best response in the thread. You rock man, you rock. You've seen the light. Be very grateful for that.

So, if you didn't win the lottery, you would do two fellowships?

I'm honestly not sure if I will do one fellowhip or three right now. If remuneration became a non-issue (which was the point of the thread), I would likely only do one fellowship in my favorite subject (neuroimaging) and teach. Otherwise, I would be concerned about being as competitive as possible for a job at a teaching hospital or private practice.

I would payoff my loans and get out of medicine.

I don't think I could reasonably practice EM anymore. I would be a marked man by the lawyers.

Golf, travel, new business ventures.

Hide your money in a trust. thats what a good lawyer would tell you to do.

It would be less than that. You need to factor in that taking the lump sum would cut it in half, then taxes would take half of that, so you would be left with 1/4 of the original amount. Roughly.

FWIW you would actually end up with 30-33% of the amount after tax and after lump sum.. just details though.

I would finish residency, HONESTLY, then I would work 2-4 shifts a month, days only and no weekends. All my money would be well hidden (legally), I would also ship some money to the Swiss, and some off shore stuff as well. I would then open up a foundation and manage that for a bit. I would also pursue business ventures, things like property etc. I would also give my good buds the cash to pay off their loans. I do like the idea of a scholarship for docs who are miserable. I am in EM and I agree that I would give pref for IM and FP (no dig intended) but those guys seem the most miserable after the surgeons. I dont like surgeons so they will be excluded.

Pay off my loans... not do residency... then I would buy into a hospital.. or several.

Dear Residents and Medical Students,

I am in management now but would I have given up my exciting career in the Mexican and/or simulated Mexican fast food industry if I had won the lottery?

Certainly the pace and demands of the Taco profession can be grueling. Although our union members make more than medical residents, we pay for it in the increased requirement for strict attention to detail, dealing with a demanding and often unreasonable public, a large body of knowledge and procedural skills, and the ever-present risk of an industrial grease fire accident.

It is no easy job, let me tell you. I remember when I was a young Chalupa-jockey working in the minor leagues (Mr. Taco, Del Taco, etc.) I had to simultaneously manage the drive-thru, stuff the burritos, roll the carne asada, and refill drinks for the Oceanside lunch crowd. The low-grade Ecuadorian beef was flying, let me tell you! But through it all I realized that I was living my dream. When you are in a career that you are passionate about, money just doesn't matter and I realized then that no amount of money in the world can compare to the simple pleasure of plying the guacamole gun.

I might have decided to work fewer hours but even with hundreds of millions of pesos in la banqua you would still find me plying my honorable trade.

I might be more generous with the pepper-jack, however.

Sincerely,

Juan Guadaloupe y Garcia
Vice President for Public Relations
International Brotherhood of Taco and Salsa Workers