The Big Short.., The Dilemma of the New MCAT !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maimonides1

Healer Mentalist Humanist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Big Short.., The New MCAT Dilemma

We are all aware of the recent AAMC accommodations for year 2020-2021 application cycle to medical schools during the Covid-19 pandemic including the modified MCAT test that is planned to be administered 63 times between May 29 and September 28, 2020.

That is simply said, is equal to more than two years of testing normally done by the AAMC, getting finished in less than 4 months!!

Despite the new test is 38 questions slimmer and 66 minutes shorter, it’s still significantly longer than prior to 2015 old MCAT test, and AAMC still claims that it will be equal to the current standard MCAT test in terms of academic weigh and scoring reliability.

They claim that they have accomplished this by cutting administrative time and by removing the so called field “discrete” questions that is usually used in the standardization of any exam.
I don’t believe AMCAS is inserting close to 19% of the questions as psychometric statistical questions in any standard version of the test, there must be some of the meat and bone parts of the original test which got trimmed along the way to come up with this new shortened version.
And even if the AAMC did remove some of these trial questions, that will only render the new test to be less reliable statistically from other prior given tests!

We know the MCAT test is normalized rather than curved in order to keep a reliable statistical reproducibility to satisfy the needs of medical schools for “equalizing ruler” to measure their future students across large pool of applicants over the years.

If this new device is made hastily out of the need to accommodate a large number of disadvantaged applicants due to Covid-19 pandemic, then the AAMC ought to:

- Exclude this cohort of short tests from the lager pool used for the purpose of standardization of the test in general.

⁃ Try to create enough test contents to allow adequate variability in this 2020 heavy testing summer season.

⁃ Disallow test retakes and make it as “once in lifetime” policy to take this short version test in order to maintain the integrity of the test.

⁃ Allow an adjustment factor into the performance variance between the different administration times of the day.

⁃ Institute a reliable recalibration measures before the expedited release of these scores.

⁃ Use this as a pilot study for future online 360 proctored exam with less breaks and disruption in the post Covid-19 era.

I believe if the AAMC succeed in carrying out this trial run successfully, it might be able to bridge over its current testing MCAT methodology to the new format of professional testing in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone summarize how med schools handled the first year of the 2015 MCAT vs the old test? Perhaps that will mirror how this temporary exam will be evaluated by med schools.

ex: did med schools "prefer" the old exam since it was validated across a larger pool of applicants? did they prefer the new one because they thought it was more difficult? did they view the difference as marginal and not really care at all if an applicant took either test?

Reactions: 1 user
From my very narrow perch, I'd say that my school didn't care if an applicant took one or the other.... one was familiar like an old shoe and we knew what to expect... the other was easy to understand in terms of scoring.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really gotta stop procrastinating for finals....

It looks like shorter tests are actually more difficult, despite subjective fatigue increasing [1], [2], [3]. Also, if you compare the percentiles for the 2006 MCAT to the shorter 2007 version, you'll see that percentiles went up, suggesting that performance decreased. However, the difference is really small.

So assuming AAMC keeps exams the same difficulty, I expect the percentile for a given score to increase. I wonder if the AAMC is considering making exam questions slightly easier as a result. Either way, I need to go outside.

Reactions: 1 user

It looks like shorter tests are actually more difficult, despite subjective fatigue increasing [1], [2], [3]. Also, if you compare the percentiles for the 2006 MCAT to the shorter 2007 version, you'll see that percentiles went up, suggesting that performance decreased. However, the difference is really small.

So assuming AAMC keeps exams the same difficulty, I expect the percentile for a given score to increase. I wonder if the AAMC is considering making exam questions slightly easier as a result. Either way, I need to go outside.

Thank you for sharing these informative references on this important subject!

Those citations are interesting. One thing I think merits looking more into is that those studies appear to relate to sample examinations where every question is graded. This is, of course, not the case with the normal form MCAT as there are numerous ungraded experimental questions which, when removed, make the exams functionally the exam since all graded material is still present.

From my very narrow perch, I'd say that my school didn't care if an applicant took one or the other.... one was familiar like an old shoe and we knew what to expect... the other was easy to understand in terms of scoring.

If the scoring is staying the same, I am afraid we are going to end up with the uncomfortable new shoe..?!

Same here. To get used tot he new scoring system, we used percentiles as the translation matrix from old to new.