The biggest mistake I made during M1 and M2 summer break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodmichael82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed 999 times before so here's the 1000th time. I used Pathoma and First aid with every class during M2 (3-4 passes before each exam) and read BRS physiology for each course prior to Pathoma and it gave an amazing foundation for M2 material. Now when I read first aid I feel like I actually know all of the M2 material. However, I wish I had used first aid for M1 material. In my opinion if you're an M1 during summer break just glance over M1 material IN FIRST AID and add a few explanations that you recall into first aid, it shouldn't take more than a week but I think it would be well worth it. Then during winter break glance at it again and that should take less than 3 days. I wish I had done that because now when I look at M1 material in first aid after not using it at all during M1 year I'm definitely struggling to recall and memorize this junk. Even though I did very well during M1 year it's just not coming back. The material is just extremely boring and dry. 10 days worth of extra effort if even that would save you the hell I'm going through right now lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've mentioned this a few times. It's never too early to get familiar with FA, especially along with the relevant courses.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You could argue either way. I didn't touch first aid until the latest edition came out in January of my MSII year. I didn't want to make annotations in an older edition and transfer them. Worked well for me--wouldn't change it if I had to do it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not talking about annotations necessarily. I'm talking more about getting introduced to first aid. As brain bucket said it's never ever too early to get familiar with first aid. The book is dirt cheap 40 bucks hell you could search a free PDF version online. If I could go back in time I would have used first aid the first week of M1 year.
A lot of people told me not to even worry about M1 material in first aid during summer and winter break and I went with it well I'm paying the price now.

I'm not talking about annotations necessarily. I'm talking more about getting introduced to first aid. As brain bucket said it's never ever too early to get familiar with first aid. The book is dirt cheap 40 bucks hell you could search a free PDF version online. If I could go back in time I would have used first aid the first week of M1 year.
A lot of people told me not to even worry about M1 material in first aid during summer and winter break and I went with it well I'm paying the price now.

Have you taken Step 1 yet?

If no, then stop panicking. The amount of material that is from M1 (a standard curriculum that doesn't involve pathophys/pathology/pharm/micro as a M1) is probably < 50-100 pages.

To what extent would have used FA with your M1 courses? bc I'm starting M1 in the fall and was actually looking at getting FA 2014 and using it from the first day of classes. I just wanted to know the right way to use it in conjunction with my classes. Thanks in advance.

Even if I had used the biochemistry portion of FA last year during MS1, I would still remember less than 25% of it. The way I see it the MS1 material that is actually high yield will be waiting for me in the latest edition of FA second semester of MS2. If you actually kind of learn it the first time, enzymes and the related diseases will come back fairly easily (trust me, I have just started briefly reading some of the "MS1" sections of FA2014).

Are there any major differences between most recent FA editions? (I seriously doubt it, but I'm just a lowly clueless premed.)
You probably won't miss anything if you use a couple of years older one, especially if you annotate it with the latest pharm updates and such, will you?

To what extent would have used FA with your M1 courses? bc I'm starting M1 in the fall and was actually looking at getting FA 2014 and using it from the first day of classes. I just wanted to know the right way to use it in conjunction with my classes. Thanks in advance.

Are there any major differences between most recent FA editions? (I seriously doubt it, but I'm just a lowly clueless premed.)
You probably won't miss anything if you use a couple of years older one, especially if you annotate it with the latest pharm updates and such, will you?

Take it off an MS-2 who has just taken the test. It'll likely be a 2013/14 edition (and free or 20 bucks at the most), which is fine for now. Learn to get comfortable with its layout. Figure out what's high yield from it and pay particular attention to those things in your MS1 courses. Annotate it to your heart's content - don't hold back - you're not gonna wanna see any of your annotations next year. The following year, get your own latest brand spanking new copy and annotate it properly as you go along.

You could argue either way. I didn't touch first aid until the latest edition came out in January of my MSII year. I didn't want to make annotations in an older edition and transfer them. Worked well for me--wouldn't change it if I had to do it again.

I never ended up transferring my annotations since I already knew them cold, although if you are so inclined, it's a cinch to do it if you use digital copies.

Reactions: 2 users

I wouldn't literally use it the first day of class and/or use it every day as a M1 that's not efficient. I would buy First aid whatever the new edition is (first aid is honestly dirt cheap anyone and their momma could buy it). I would learn the class material during the weekday very well and then set aside a couple hours during the weekend or every other weekend grab First aid to go over the material covered in class but more importantly to help you focus your studies. You really won't have to reannotate that stuff into another copy of first aid the next year, you will honestly know it so well that just by looking at it everything will kind of click. Plus the point of using First aid over the weekend during M1 is not to memorize this all the way till step 1 date but exactly what Bucket said in the last post, it's so you can narrow down to what's the most high yield information. Especially during M1 you're going to get taught a lot of junk that's not important and it's essential to go through the rubbish and pick out the high yield.
For example there's 11-12 glycogen storage diseases during my Biochemistry class the PhD professor taught us 8 of them but first aid only has the main 4 glycogen storage diseases. So instead of using my brain power to engrain 8 storage diseases why not focus A LOT on the first 4 glycogen storage diseases which are the most clinically important and most important for USMLE Step 1 and spend a less time on the extra junk. Hell I would really try to understand conceptually the first 4, learn them well and kind of cram the last 4 just for the sake of the class and still be efficient.
I honestly believe using First Aid during M1 year maybe (once every other weekend) and using First aid every weekend during M2 year even if it's 1 hour can really focus you on the high yield information and make your life much easier when actual board prep comes at the end of M2 year. If you used first aid the first 2 years and got a couple passes before board prep man you'll be breezing through first aid.
While going over Biochemistry in First aid I realized that I recalled a bunch of junk that's not even important but couldn't remember the important stuff and I was thinking to myself if only I had used first aid during M1 year and just been more focused I wouldn't be in this crappy situation.
There's a lot of stuff they taught us in Physiology, Immunology (2 relatively important topics) that's not in first aid and is not important so M1 really is ehhh such a boring, crappy year lol
Right now I have tons of exams, I have to study for boards and the whole relearning the important stuff from M1 has become a huge annoyance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't literally use it the first day of class and/or use it every day as a M1 that's not efficient. I would buy First aid whatever the new edition is (first aid is honestly dirt cheap anyone and their momma could buy it). I would learn the class material during the weekday very well and then set aside a couple hours during the weekend or every other weekend to go over the material covered in class but more importantly to help you focus your studies. You really won't have to reannotate that stuff into another copy of first aid the next year, you will honestly know it so well that just by looking at it everything will kind of click. Plus the point of using First aid over the weekend during M1 is not to memorize this all the way till step 1 date but exactly what Bucket said in the last post, it's so you can narrow down to what's the most high yield information. Especially during M1 you're going to get taught a lot of junk that's not important and it's essential to go through the rubbish and pick out the high yield.
For example there's 11-12 glycogen storage diseases during my Biochemistry class the PhD professor taught us 8 of them but first aid only has the main 4 glycogen storage diseases. So instead of using my brain power to engrain 8 storage diseases why not focus A LOT on the first 4 glycogen storage diseases which are the most clinically important and most important for USMLE Step 1 and spend a less time on the extra junk. Hell I would really try to understand conceptually the first 4, learn them well and kind of cram the last 4 just for the sake of the class and still be efficient.
I honestly believe using First Aid during M1 year maybe (once every other weekend) and using First aid every weekend during M2 year even if it's 1 hour can really focus you on the high yield information and make your life much easier when actual board prep comes at the end of M2 year. If you used first aid the first 2 years and got a couple passes before board prep man you'll be breezing through first aid.
While going over Biochemistry in First aid I realized that I recalled a bunch of junk that's not even important but couldn't remember the important stuff and I was thinking to myself if only I had used first aid during M1 year and just been more focused I wouldn't be in this crappy situation.
Right now I have tons of exams, I have to study for boards and the whole relearning the important stuff from M1 has become a huge annoyance.

Thank you for the information. It's much appreciated. I'll definitely use your suggestions.

Even if I had used the biochemistry portion of FA last year during MS1, I would still remember less than 25% of it. The way I see it the MS1 material that is actually high yield will be waiting for me in the latest edition of FA second semester of MS2. If you actually kind of learn it the first time, enzymes and the related diseases will come back fairly easily (trust me, I have just started briefly reading some of the "MS1" sections of FA2014).

First Aid doesn't change that much especially for the basic sciences. I looked at the difference between First aid editions for the M1 material and there's not much of a difference. The additions were mostly made to Organ systems and addition of Micro pictures (M2 for me).
I think the recalling M1 material rapidly depends on I guess how well the course program directors set up the course and then how well you learned it. As I stated on my last post I realized that the majority of M1 could have been taught in 2-3 months if it was actually focused on board prep and clinical application instead of 1 year of PhD leveled extraneous information that I'm never ever going to ever use again. There was so much extra information we learned it's unbelievable.
My M2 year course directors on the other hand have been very to the point and it's been a fun year so far.

I'm sure this has been discussed 999 times before so here's the 1000th time. I used Pathoma and First aid with every class during M2 (3-4 passes before each exam) and read BRS physiology for each course prior to Pathoma and it gave an amazing foundation for M2 material. Now when I read first aid I feel like I actually know all of the M2 material. However, I wish I had used first aid for M1 material. In my opinion if you're an M1 during summer break just glance over M1 material IN FIRST AID and add a few explanations that you recall into first aid, it shouldn't take more than a week but I think it would be well worth it. Then during winter break glance at it again and that should take less than 3 days. I wish I had done that because now when I look at M1 material in first aid after not using it at all during M1 year I'm definitely struggling to recall and memorize this junk. Even though I did very well during M1 year it's just not coming back. The material is just extremely boring and dry. 10 days worth of extra effort if even that would save you the hell I'm going through right now lol

Yup, but don't worry, SDN will continue to be paraded with posts by those that:
  • believe you shouldn't do any Step studying at all (not even FA) until starting the second half of MS-2
  • spout the misperception that MS-1 stuff isn't a big portion on Step 1 and has a somehow negligible effect on your score
  • say they "only" needed 4-6 weeks to study for boards (a.k.a. they're either lying or severely downplaying actually how much they studied).
Using First Aid along with your coursework is an excellent idea as you're covering the topic in class. Don't perseverate over it in MS-1, but there definitely is an advantage to using it early bc repetition breeds familiarity. It's also very helpful with mnemonics when you're learning things for the very first time. So for example, if you're learning about PTH hormone in Calcium Physiology, FA has in there PTH = Phosphate Trashing Hormone. That's how you know that Calcium blood levels are increased, while Phosphate is excreted in urine.

It's even called for in First Aid to use it along with good review books with your coursework: http://www.firstaidteam.com/wp-content/uploads/study-timeline-usmle-step1.pdg_.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't literally use it the first day of class and/or use it every day as a M1 that's not efficient. I would buy First aid whatever the new edition is (first aid is honestly dirt cheap anyone and their momma could buy it). I would learn the class material during the weekday very well and then set aside a couple hours during the weekend or every other weekend grab First aid to go over the material covered in class but more importantly to help you focus your studies. You really won't have to reannotate that stuff into another copy of first aid the next year, you will honestly know it so well that just by looking at it everything will kind of click. Plus the point of using First aid over the weekend during M1 is not to memorize this all the way till step 1 date but exactly what Bucket said in the last post, it's so you can narrow down to what's the most high yield information. Especially during M1 you're going to get taught a lot of junk that's not important and it's essential to go through the rubbish and pick out the high yield.
There's a lot of stuff they taught us in Physiology, Immunology (2 relatively important topics) that's not in first aid and is not important so M1 really is ehhh such a boring, crappy year lol

Thanks for the advice! Would you say that the breadth of immunology topics covered in FA is sufficient for Step 1? Didn't retain much from my immuno course this year and the lecture slides weren't super helpful to begin with, so I'm not sure where to start with reviewing that stuff.

Thanks for the advice! Would you say that the breadth of immunology topics covered in FA is sufficient for Step 1? Didn't retain much from my immuno course this year and the lecture slides weren't super helpful to begin with, so I'm not sure where to start with reviewing that stuff.

I feel you because my Immunology course was not put together well. First aid did a good job so I would read first aid a couple times.
Based on my Uworld performance and the Uworld questions I did I felt like first aid and chapter 2:- Inflammation from Pathoma were more than enough. Dr. Sattar did an amazing job in Pathoma of integrating Biochemistry and Immunology with Pathology in his first 3 chapters so definitely read those.

While I definitely think it's beneficial to use FA in MS1, I don't think it's absolutely essential to use it or detrimental if you don't use it. The basic sciences are detail-heavy and IMO require several passes + flashcards to really get a hold of it again for boards, even if you used FA during MS1. Once you do a 2nd and 3rd pass through the material, you'll probably find that you retained a good portion of it. The first pass just sucks.

If anything, I would suggest starting Pathoma in MS1. I didn't get it until the start of MS2 (organ systems) and just recently did the first 3 chapters....holy crap would that have been amazing to have during MS1. Things that I barely grasped in order to pass the in-house exam suddenly made complete sense.

You have got to be kidding. Did he make you memorize all the hypercholesterolemias as well? Good grief.

Use the Immunology section of Lange's Micro and Immuno Review by Warren Levinson.

Reactions: 1 users
I would not bother annotating FA as a MS1. >75% of what you write is going to be low-yield. If you use FA during MS1, make sure you learn all the MS1 material that is required for your exams (so you don't fail your exams by focusing only on what's in FA).

I haven't taken step 1 yet but I also think that annotating is a bad idea in first year. I briefly skimmed through sections of FA a few times as we were going through the various modules to see what was important and tried to read through everything at least once. I've been reading "how the immune system works" this week and I think it's a good book for overview for that topic.

For my PhD program, we used How the Immune System Works. http://www.amazon.com/Immune-System-Includes-Desktop-Edition/dp/0470657294

It's a really good guide that's heavy on concepts and light on details, making it the best big picture book you can buy. I love this book because you can read it in a couple days and get a good sense of what's actually going on. Then fill in all the stupid details like interlukins/interferons/cytokines.

So uh for MS2... Use and annotate the previous edition or wait until January and annotate only in the newest one?

I have the 2014 now (MS1) and was planning on using it through my dedicated prep period. I mean, even if there are significant changes to the 2015 exam, FA15 won't reflect those changes since FA is largely student written, right? So the "new" stuff on the 2015 exam won't show up until FA16...?

Using a FA from a previous year isn't a huge deal. 99% of the info wouldn't have changed, and the errata (which are critical to annotate into your FA regardless of the version) will already have been out for a bit.

I maintain that annotating FA as you go through MS1 is not a good idea. I know I've said it like 5x in this thread, but srsly guys. Not saying you were planning to do that, just a word of caution.

Using a FA from a previous year isn't a huge deal. 99% of the info wouldn't have changed, and the errata (which are critical to annotate into your FA regardless of the version) will already have been out for a bit.

I maintain that annotating FA as you go through MS1 is not a good idea. I know I've said it like 5x in this thread, but srsly guys. Not saying you were planning to do that, just a word of caution.

First Aid facts from MS-1 are hardly daunting. They're 30 second factoids, for goodness sakes. Hardly a time drain.

First Aid facts from MS-1 are hardly daunting. They're 30 second factoids, for goodness sakes. Hardly a time drain.

My issue is not with looking at FA during MS1 to see what is considered 'high-yield' for Step 1. My issue is that if you annotate FA with your useless MS1 notes, you will feel that you have to know that stuff for Step 1.

Anything I annotated into Step 1 was to help me understand the ideas in there better (since it is just a book of factoids), and I reviewed the annotations anytime I reviewed the factoids originally printed. All I'm saying is that if you do that with MS1, you're going to have a lot of low-yield crap scribbled into your FA that you will then waste time and brain power remembering for Step 1.

All this being said, I think you have to be very careful to not ignore all of the facts taught in MS1 (that aren't in FA) simply because those facts are not in FA.