The Boards - Needing Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchung

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions that I hope some of the 2nd year osteopathic or allopathic students can answer.

1. Can you please tell me the test information differences in the USMLE Step 1 and the COMLEX 1?

2. Is it common for DO students to take the USMLE to get MD residences?

3. If you are a DO student who took the USMLE, did you do well? And what changes did you make in studying for USMLE1 vs. COMLEX1?

Thanks ALOT!
Jchung :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya..
Since I'm an MS-I, I wouldn't be fit to answer your question, but I think if you do a search for old threads on this topic, there have been a couple of discussions on this topic in the past. While you're waiting for replies that might be useful to check out.. good luck!

1. Can you please tell me the test information differences in the USMLE Step 1 and the COMLEX 1?

During COMLEX, osteopathic students are tested on OMM in addition to everything else. From what I understand, both tests are written by the same peeps.

2. Is it common for DO students to take the USMLE to get MD residences?

Yes, DO students get AMA-approved residencies all the time. Taking USMLE v. COMLEX is more program dependent than a universal rule.

Got me on the third one... not at that level yet...

If you are looking at residency placement, the usual criteria are board scores (COMLEX or USMLE), LORs (from school/rotation docs), Class rank (for more competitive slots), and networking (who you know). Think of it as applying to medical school all over again.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Does this process ever end? :eek: :eek: :eek: