The Business of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scamac01

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm interested in knowing if any dental schools out there teach you anything at all about the business aspect of dentistry? Things like how practices are run, employee practices and the financial aspects of all this. Do any of you wish you knew more about it? Or do any of you have business background that you see will be helpful once you get out into private practice? What kind of business study would be the most applicable for this? I'm curious because we spend for long years learning all about the dentistry and of course that continues, but how are we supposed to learn the other business side of it?

Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
--Stacy

Members don't see this ad.

I've be studying up on it (still a predent here) and from what i've read dentaltown.com is a great place to learn. Other than that an associateship is best for learning.

That's why business CE at dental meetings is so popular. My school has 1 or 2 classes devoted to managing an office, but nothing that makes you an expert. The best way to gain experience is to associate for a yr or two. Also a few residency programs I'm familiar with have practice management seminars, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Temple almost sold me on a DMD/MBA deal. Seems pretty cool but expensive.

i purchased dr farran's 30 day audio series..
...if u can find some buds to go in with you..the tape are a worthwhile investment.

'101 Secrets of a High-Performance Dental Practice' is supposed to be a good read.

..but i think it's out of print.