The Challenge Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowballoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had my fair share of insert difficult scenario here (immigration, traumatic accident, etc) but have also had other challenges in like, music performance (actively competed with awful nerves). Writing about music seems trivial when compared to the former, so my question is: should I talk about a terrible event or is it okay to talk about something that seems small in comparison?

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about whatever you feel most comfortable with and what you think will present yourself in the best light

Reactions: 1 users
I’m currently applying so take what I’m saying very lightly.

What helped me was not thinking about the question like “what is the worst thing that’s ver happened to you?” Which is what I was struggling to write about. The best essay will be the one that is written the most naturally and insightful imo even if the situation isn’t life or death. It all much more about you analysis of the situation (Barring the situation isn’t “I got a B on a test”).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had my fair share of insert difficult scenario here (immigration, traumatic accident, etc) but have also had other challenges in like, music performance (actively competed with awful nerves). Writing about music seems trivial when compared to the former, so my question is: should I talk about a terrible event or is it okay to talk about something that seems small in comparison?
The challenge essay is not meant to be a pissing contest as to who had the most terrible life, like the old TV show Queen for a Day (Queen for a Day - Wikipedia).

Rather, it's for you to give examples of how you displayed yoru resilience and coping skills.

Dealing with public performances certainly is an example of that, and thus makes fine fodder for the prompt.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with @Goro. Having gone through a traumatic event isn’t necessarily going to make someone a great medical student and future doctor. An individual who can battle their nerves and reflect on their weaknesses to build character are traits of a good student and future doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help everyone :) I decided to write a few different essays and decide from there