Aug 22, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to figure out if I want to go to school for dental hygiene or just go to school to become a dentist.

I just finished my schooling for dental assisting to see if I enjoy it and I want to further my career in the field but I am not sure what avenue I want to take.

What are your thoughts about the two.

THS

Articulating Disc Jockey
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2012
Louisiana
Status
Dentist
If you want to do dental hygiene, you will need to go to back to school for at least 2 years to get the necessary requirements. Then you will need to apply and interview. Believe it or not, hygiene is fairly competitive. Many dental assistants have trouble getting in and must reapply. It's easier than dental school, of course, but it's not walk in the park. My fiancee graduated with a higher GPA than me and still studies every night for hygiene school. Expect to be in the clinic practicing on your classmates within the first month, then seeing your first patient in 3-4 months into the program.
But the good thing is you will not be spending any time at school after hours working on projects. And once you're out, you can expect $30-35 per hour starting.

Dental school is another animal. If you are unsure at this point, dental school may not be the best option for you. You need to know for sure that you want to give up 4+ years of your life to pursue this.

As an assistant, you will obviously have more exposure to the dental side of things than the hygiene side, see how you like it and do a lot of research on both fields.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Day/night.

irishmom

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2011
Status
Dental Student
No choice. From experience let me tell you DENTIST!