The "Clerkship Guide" series books...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have good experiences with the series of handbooks called the "Clerkship Guides". I've heard the Internal Medicine one is good.

Can anyone comment on the Surgery one? Any comparisons between Surgical Recall vs. Surgery Clerkship Guide?

Thanks for your input :)
:luck: to those Matching!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
the clerkship guides are garbage.

for ob use blueprints
for medicine use mksap and a supplementary reference text to look up stuff
for surgery use recall
for peds use blueprints

I thought the Clerkship Guides were actually pretty decent. Part 1 is keys for doing well on that service (if you've done a few rotations you can probably skip it), part 2 is patients presenting with a complaint, and part 3 is by disease. I find going over parts 2 and 3 to be really useful as you've got to be able to approach patients and test questions "backwards and forwards." I thought that if you read through the book once and review parts you're shaky on based on what you do on Pretest, you'll generally do fine.

- Blueprints - thought was OK. OB/GYN was good.
- The NMS series - waaay too detailed
- First Aid for Step 2 CK - a very nice summary but you do need to have some solid background first. I used it heavily for neuro and thought it was great. This really surprised me as I didn't think FA for Step 1 was all that great.

This is simply a copied over message I placed on another thread. I thought you might find it useful. Basically - best stuff for med wards. Check out the huge med books thread.

So, in going over the way too vast amount of texts and review books I bought during medical school... I have boiled the best down to the following. Now, being that I am going into IM, the books are geared for this rotation

1. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment: Definately the best text available. Up to date and very well written. Its basically a book you can use on all your rotations as it goes over most of the diseases you'll encounter, or be tested on in all your rotations - except Peds. A must buy.

2. The Consult Manual of Internal Medicine: A friend turned me onto this handbook. Its excellent. Its layout flows very nicely - with a ton of high yield info for both the wards and shelf exams. Its now a favorite among my friends. Oh... it also has great treatment sections.

3. The ICU Book: A fantastic book to be read by all. Great explanations of everything from IV fluids to vent management to fever. Allows for a strong foundation in critical care.

4. Pathophysiology of Disease: Great - with chapters divided into physiology and pathophysiology. Extremely well written. This is one that you get for the understanding of the overall picture. Its a realistically readable version of the the most important aspects of physiology with great pathophys taking up the later half of each chapter.

4. The obvious:
A. Tarascon pharmacopoeia - get the large edition w/ off
label uses and tons of other useful info.
B. The Sanford Guide