The Coddling of the American Mind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? I've met dozens who can't. A mountain of literature would also back this up.
And the DSM-5. From the VA's website, since my DSM is at work:

Criterion D (two required): Negative thoughts or feelings that began or worsened after the trauma, in the following way(s):

• Inability to recall key features of the trauma
  • Overly negative thoughts and assumptions about oneself or the world
  • Exaggerated blame of self or others for causing the trauma
  • Negative affect
  • Decreased interest in activities
  • Feeling isolated
  • Difficulty experiencing positive affect

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have never met a fellow survivor who can’t recall key details of a sexual assault. Some “minor gaps in details like maybe the day of the week”, possible, but not even remembering who took you your home(only one who knows the address could do that). That’s one of many discrepancies.

To assume all survivors feel a certain way about this case is exactly what Joe is talking about.

Dissociation/detachment (which leads to forgetting details and entire chunks of time, something I’ve seen in my practice) is a symptom/criterion of PTSD and commonly occurs after trauma happens. Not for everyone, of course, but is a common feature. See Wisneuro’s post about evidence for gaps in memory.

I’m not assuming everyone feels that way, but providing an argument that the way this situation has been treated by some folks could potentially invalidate sexual assault survivors. I specifically said it wouldn’t “encourage” those who’ve experienced sexual assault to come forward. But if you think Jon’s comments do encourage folks to share their experiences and report sexual assault, you are free to have that opinion and share it here too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed, but that should hew both ways.
It should but many people picked sides before any more information came out anyways. There should be sympathy for both parties until more evidence is obtained. Being wrongfully accused is pretty awful too. If it turns out that he did it then I’m happy to unload on him too.

I'm still confused. "Cisgender" just means the opposite of "transgender" and is apparently credited to a biologist in 1994 (I just looked it up because I didn't know where it came from precisely). Took too long to keep saying "not transgender, the opposite of transgender" I guess? What word would you prefer to use to communicate that someone is not transgender?

It would be a part of anyone's lexicon inasmuch as they'd need to use it. You know? I have two sisters. One is a trans woman. So maybe it comes up more for me than it would for you. But if you had occasion to use it, casually or not, I guess I just don't understand what the objection would be.
Man or woman would be options

It should but many people picked sides before any more information came out anyways. There should be sympathy for both parties until more evidence is obtained. Being wrongfully accused is pretty awful too. If it turns out that he did it then I’m happy to unload on him too.

I agree. I'd wager a majority of people made up their minds about what happened before either account was given. As was fairly evident earlier.

Fully agree Pragma.

Have stayed out of both these discussions to this point not out of neutrality, but more because I tend to find myself getting sucked into these conversations and I am trying to better triage ways I spend my time these days. As in the broader political arena, I find both sides attempting to "win" rather than moving towards a productive solution that will inevitably entail some level of compromise. Going to share my conflicting thoughts on this an effort to help move things to the middle.

I am going to take it for granted that everyone agrees that individuals who have committed violent felonies should not sit on the supreme court. I am also going to take it for granted that everyone agrees an accusation alone should not be enough to levy consequences against someone - certainly not criminal, but also not personal (loss/denial of job). If you disagree with either of these assumptions, I would be interested to hear the reasoning.

Assuming both are true, I would be interested to hear both sides views on the following.
1) For folks who would support a Kavanaugh nomination - part of politics is that there is always some degree of doubt about candidates and some element of "where there is smoke, there is fire." It is a very ugly game. Where exactly would you draw the line for "how much smoke" before you (personally) would reject a candidate? Note, I am not asking about criminal charges or even removal from existing role, just consideration for a new one. Heck, take politics out of it completely and pretend you are a hiring manager for a private company. I am guessing most would not require guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" before choosing someone else...so where are you drawing the line? Would you vote for a candidate that "everyone knew" was a serial killer who had never been convicted? I assume no...so you have some grey on the innocent until proven guilty issue in the political arena. Where is it?
2) For folks against a Kavanaugh nomination - there is also always some doubt on the other side. So where exactly do you draw the line on this front? Assuming you agree that any accusation should not immediately disqualify someone, what are the relevant parameters for you in deciding what should Is it the topic of the allegation? If Kavanaugh was accused of money laundering or robbery, would you feel differently? Is it about the credibility of the victim? As much as we all might wish it wouldn't matter whether a victim is a professor or a drug dealer, I think the reaction would have differed enormously if that were the case. What protections would you have in place to make sure false allegations do not become the new norm?

My apologies to the OP for the continued derailment, but we already seem well down that path so I figured why not - last one got locked before I threw this into the mix. Hopefully the above questions are at least tangentially related in the sense that these are the kinds of questions that largely go unasked and umaswered in our present state and is a big part of the reason why we do not make much progress on things. Seeing if we can find some common ground here and I have not seem either side really address these issues.

Last edited:
Fully agree Pragma.

Have stayed out of both these discussions to this point not out of neutrality, but more because I tend to find myself getting sucked into these conversations and I am trying to better triage ways I spend my time these days. As in the broader political arena, I find both sides attempting to "win" rather than moving towards a productive solution that will inevitably entail some level of compromise. Going to share my conflicts on this an effort to help move things to the middle.

I am going to take it for granted that everyone agrees that individuals who have committed violent felonies should not sit on the supreme court. I am also going to take it for granted that everyone agrees an accusation alone should not be enough to levy consequences against someone - certainly not criminal, but also not personal (loss/denial of job). If you disagree with either of these assumptions, I would be interested to hear the reasoning.

Assuming both are true, I would be interested to hear both sides views on the following.
1) For folks who would support a Kavanaugh nomination - part of politics is that there is always some degree of doubt about candidates and some element of "where there is smoke, there is fire." It is a very ugly game. Where exactly would you draw the line for "how much smoke" before you (personally) would reject a candidate? Note, I am not asking about criminal charges or even removal from existing role, just consideration for a new one. Heck, take politics out of it completely and pretend you are a hiring manager for a private company. I am guessing most would not require guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" before choosing someone else...so where are you drawing the line? Would you vote for a candidate that "everyone knew" was a serial killer who had never been convicted? I assume no...so you have some grey on the innocent until proven guilty issue in the political arena. Where is it?
2) For folks against a Kavanaugh nomination - there is also always some doubt on the other side. So where exactly do you draw the line on this front? Assuming you agree that any accusation should not immediately disqualify someone, what are the relevant parameters for you in deciding what should Is it the topic of the allegation? If Kavanaugh was accused of money laundering or robbery, would you feel differently? Is it about the credibility of the victim? As much as we all might wish it wouldn't matter whether a victim is a professor or a drug dealer, I think the reaction would have differed enormously if that were true here. What protections would you have in place to make sure false allegations do not become the new norm?

My apologies to the OP for the continued derailment, but we already seem well down that path so I figured why not - last one got locked before I threw this into the mix. Hopefully the above questions are at least tangentially related in the sense that these are the questions I think a good educational setting should be asking:)
Seeing if we can find some common ground here and I have not seem either side really address these issues.

The smoke I require is proof.

So vague accusations from 30 yrs ago don’t count. At this point, with what I’m aware of, I would hire Kavenaugh if I was a manager. Come up with actual proof and I’m fine with the death penalty because I really hate sexual criminals.

I also want to state again that criminal things being investigated by anyone other than the responsible law enforcement agency (congress, schools, the fbi in this case) is a bad habit our country is picking up

The smoke I require is proof.

Not just asking about Kavanaugh here, so lets not get bogged down in that...

If this really 100% true for you? What about my (admittedly outrageous) serial killer example? Is proof = conviction or are your standards somewhat different than the court of law (i.e. what if the individual "got off on a technicality"? )

You may respond yes and if so I get it, but I think that would make you an incredibly rare exception. I would wager 99.9% of folks who agree with you would not be quite so black and white on the matter.

Not just asking about Kavanaugh here, so lets not get bogged down in that...

If this really 100% true for you? What about my (admittedly outrageous) serial killer example? Is proof = conviction or are your standards somewhat different than the court of law (i.e. what if the individual "got off on a technicality"? )

You may respond yes and if so I get it, but I think that would make you an incredibly rare exception. I would wager 99.9% of folks who agree with you would not be quite so black and white on the matter.
I don't think courts are always right, so a conviction isn't always the mark of "proof" although all criminal accusations should be investigated there. One of the benefits of a criminal trial is it requires all the evidence to be brought out to be seen by both sides.

But yes, proof should be required of all accusations.

Fully agree Pragma.

Have stayed out of both these discussions to this point not out of neutrality, but more because I tend to find myself getting sucked into these conversations and I am trying to better triage ways I spend my time these days. As in the broader political arena, I find both sides attempting to "win" rather than moving towards a productive solution that will inevitably entail some level of compromise. Going to share my conflicting thoughts on this an effort to help move things to the middle.

2) For folks against a Kavanaugh nomination - there is also always some doubt on the other side. So where exactly do you draw the line on this front? Assuming you agree that any accusation should not immediately disqualify someone, what are the relevant parameters for you in deciding what should Is it the topic of the allegation? If Kavanaugh was accused of money laundering or robbery, would you feel differently? Is it about the credibility of the victim? As much as we all might wish it wouldn't matter whether a victim is a professor or a drug dealer, I think the reaction would have differed enormously if that were the case. What protections would you have in place to make sure false allegations do not become the new norm?

My apologies to the OP for the continued derailment, but we already seem well down that path so I figured why not - last one got locked before I threw this into the mix. Hopefully the above questions are at least tangentially related in the sense that these are the kinds of questions that largely go unasked and umaswered in our present state and is a big part of the reason why we do not make much progress on things. Seeing if we can find some common ground here and I have not seem either side really address these issues.
I wish there was a “love” option for this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fully agree Pragma.

I think the line for me is how the candidate handles the accusation NOW as well as the evidence that exists that he did treat girls poorly. The accusation is an accusation, and taken by itself, it would be important to me but not something that I could say meant that he could not be on the SC, because it could just be an accusation. I've been in the field of psychology long enough to know that people a) make stuff up and b) have false memories.
But the yearbook stuff is irrefutable. What bothers me about BK is that he has lied about it. It strains intellect to believe that "Renate Alumnus" is just a nice homage to a girl that everyone respected and valued; it strains credibility that a devil's triangle is a drink. So if he'd responded with, I'm very sorry, I was a high school kid and I wish to personally and deeply apologize for my immature actions - that would go a long way for me in respecting his character and thinking that it was one that belongs on the highest court in the nation. Everyone makes mistakes, and the context of his young adulthood was that of Sixteen Candles (yes, I know it was before). I know I had a lot of wrongheaded ideas about gender when I was a teen.

Before this thread dies, let’s try something else.

1) Should a university allow someone with a conservative viewpoint to speak, even if their viewpoint is considered inflammatory?
2) Should universities adopt policies that govern speech, such that all speech will be expected to utilize inclusive language, as defined by a committee of faculty at that university?

1) Should a university allow someone with a conservative viewpoint to speak, even if their viewpoint is considered inflammatory?
2) Should universities adopt policies that govern speech, such that all speech will be expected to utilize inclusive language, as defined by a committee of faculty at that university?
No. Absolutely not. There shouldn’t be requirements or restrictions like that on guest speakers

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Of course, provided there is academic merit to the speech. If the sole goal of the speaker is to be inflammatory, or to target a specific population of people, then no (for conservatives or anyone else). Conservative viewpoints with academic merit should actively be sought, in my opinion, along with progressive and other viewpoints.
2. There shouldn't be anything that governs how people speak. General inclusive policies could be put in place, like gender neutral bathrooms and space for various groups to meet & convene provided their goal isn't to harm anyone else. But speech should be free, again as long as it isn't hate speech targeting a specific population for harm.

1. Of course, provided there is academic merit to the speech. If the sole goal of the speaker is to be inflammatory, or to target a specific population of people, then no (for conservatives or anyone else). Conservative viewpoints with academic merit should actively be sought, in my opinion, along with progressive and other viewpoints.
2. There shouldn't be anything that governs how people speak. General inclusive policies could be put in place, like gender neutral bathrooms and space for various groups to meet & convene provided their goal isn't to harm anyone else. But speech should be free, again as long as it isn't hate speech targeting a specific population for harm.
What is to stop labeling any speech one dislikes as hate speech and banning it?

Do you really think hate speech isn’t protected by the first amendment?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is to stop labeling any speech one dislikes as hate speech and banning it?

Do you really think hate speech isn’t protected by the second amendment?
Guidelines, and a vetting board from different political perspectives. Really, none of this stuff is as simple as you make it out to be.
It might be protected, but the university gets to decide what has merit and what does not. It's their campus. I could apply to talk about my cat for an hour and someone would have to decide whether that's worth their space and time or not.

Guidelines, and a vetting board from different political perspectives. Really, none of this stuff is as simple as you make it out to be.
It might be protected, but the university gets to decide what has merit and what does not. It's their campus. I could apply to talk about my cat for an hour and someone would have to decide whether that's worth their space and time or not.
But at a govt university, if they have a sponsor, there shouldn’t be someone else vetoing it because they don’t like it even if they drape that dislike in “it has no merit”

Remember that there are distinctions between public forums, say a park, vs a limited public forum, such as university space. Legal precedence for such. In allpublic forums, hate speech is free speech as long as it does not target individuals or vulnerable populations for harassment, but, the university can also limit when and where the speech happens as it is a limited public forum, this has been ruled on by circuit courts and affirmed by SCOTUS. Additionally, there is some murky ground when it comes to university rules, as in if a university has a policy against hate speech. This issue hasn't quite been taken up by the SCOTUS yet.

Pragmatically speaking, where does such a vetting board come from? Where would this pool of different political perspectives come from?

Remember that there are distinctions between public forums, say a park, vs a limited public forum, such as university space. Legal precedence for such. In allpublic forums, hate speech is free speech as long as it does not target individuals or vulnerable populations for harassment, but, the university can also limit when and where the speech happens as it is a limited public forum, this has been ruled on by circuit courts and affirmed by SCOTUS. Additionally, there is some murky ground when it comes to university rules, as in if a university has a policy against hate speech. This issue hasn't quite been taken up by the SCOTUS yet.
And universities that create such policies go through an approval process governed by the faculty. If you do not have a group of faculty that are considered politically diverse, then your policies governing speech are being created by a politically homogeneous group of people.

Btw, why does language matter in the coddling of the American mind?

Why is it not okay to use terms like “white priv?”

Look at how comfortable people are openly saying in a deragatory fashion “angry white male entitlement” relative to Kav. They’re looking at him and judging and practically spitting those words as an invective. This, while arguing “we believe” and advocating for presumption of guilt when one sex makes an accusation, weighting the word of one sex over another. It’s active and blatant racism and sexism.

So, you have this language like:

- privilege
- mansplaining
- misogyny (warped definition of)
- microagressions

...and so on, that, in my read, if you don’t accept as truth, you are not part of the orthodoxy. This is part of the coddling. Because, these things are inculcated as truths on college campuses and when they’re debated, the knee jerk response is to assert racism or cultural incompetence. It’s how people like ben Shapiro end up protested in the same manner as white supremacists like David duke.

And, that’s not to say that there isn’t truth to these things. But, they are casually bandied about in a way that makes things okay that shouldn’t be okay in terms of generalized thought process.
Racism & sexism have the weight of power behind them. I think the question is whether the power shifts with terms like privilege, mansplaining, and so on, and in what context. The thing is, there is merit to those concepts. And at the same time, they get brandied about as a way to always "win" a discussion. It boils down to "you're a whiner!" "well you're a racist!" and it just gets exhausting. I have hope that we will get somewhere constructive with these conversations though.
Pragmatically speaking, where does such a vetting board come from? Where would this pool of different political perspectives come from?
I don't work on a college campus but there must be some committee that decides who is going to speak, and so on. There's always a committee, isn't there, for just about everything? As for free speech, that's why they have Speaker's Corner in London, and I guess street corners in the US.
I do think the committee should consist of a diverse board, if I am talking ideal world. Abraham Lincoln chose his cabinet because they had diverse viewpoints and did not all agree with him (hence, Team of Rivals). It doesn't make things perfect, but it does help to prevent a slide toward extremism.

And universities that create such policies go through an approval process governed by the faculty. If you do not have a group of faculty that are considered politically diverse, then your policies governing speech are being created by a politically homogeneous group of people.

I agree. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with it, just noting the gray area that currently exists within that particular issue. In one instance, the University of Michigan had their policy struck down due to being overly broad, but SCOTUS has not yet heard a similar case.

I don't work on a college campus but there must be some committee that decides who is going to speak, and so on. There's always a committee, isn't there, for just about everything? As for free speech, that's why they have Speaker's Corner in London, and I guess street corners in the US.
I do think the committee should consist of a diverse board, if I am talking ideal world. Abraham Lincoln chose his cabinet because they had diverse viewpoints and did not all agree with him (hence, Team of Rivals). It doesn't make things perfect, but it does help to prevent a slide toward extremism.
Usually speakers get invited by departments. Not sure there is a committee for choosing speakers but there are committees that govern policies.

Many people would argue that college campuses are becoming a good example of extremism. Hence the thread.

Usually speakers get invited by departments. Not sure there is a committee for choosing speakers but there are committees that govern policies.

Many people would argue that college campuses are becoming a good example of extremism. Hence the thread.
I don't set the standards, but it seems reasonable to me that a college campus could decline a speaker that incites people to violence/harm to others. NAMBLA gets nominated by a department, NAMBLA gets declined by a vetting committee. I'm sure that must happen. Otherwise, I think all bets are on for speakers. (And as per usual, interesting, nuanced and quieter speakers will get four people in the audience while the loudmouth name-callers will fill the house.)

I don't set the standards, but it seems reasonable to me that a college campus could decline a speaker that incites people to violence/harm to others. NAMBLA gets nominated by a department, NAMBLA gets declined by a vetting committee. I'm sure that must happen. Otherwise, I think all bets are on for speakers. (And as per usual, interesting, nuanced and quieter speakers will get four people in the audience while the loudmouth name-callers will fill the house.)
I’m pretty sure there is no vetting committee in a lot of places.

How one defines “inciting violence/harm” and “hate speech” is at the crux of the issue. Some people consider alternative viewpoints that differ from their perspective to be “hurtful” and “offensive” and might label it as hate speech. What if they decide to create that committee and have their friends join it?

How one defines “inciting violence/harm” and “hate speech” is at the crux of the issue. Some people consider alternative viewpoints that differ from their perspective to be “hurtful” and “offensive” and might label it as hate speech. What if they decide to create that committee and have their friends join it?
I would hope the standard would be actual physical harm or abuse vs. a differing viewpoint. I get that there's a potential slippery slope there. Maybe the line should be drawn in the same place that we draw the line for reporting to CPS/APS.
There has to be some process for bringing speakers in vs. just anyone the department wants to come - ? I don't know, like I said, I don't work on a campus. When I went to undergrad, a speaker came who was mild by today's standards but was insulting & boorish & racist. It was okay, the place didn't blow up. But he also didn't incite violence. People protested, the paper wrote an article.
I guess if they created that committee and their friends joined it, that would suck for the students on that campus? I don't know, there's no way to force people to engage in variant viewpoints.

I don't know, there's no way to force people to engage in variant viewpoints.
I think the issue is usually the reverse - they want to prevent people from engaging in variant viewpoints.

A lot of campuses have policies that require universities to provide space for a protest or counter-argument for a speaker. But instead of that, there’s been all-out shutting down speakers in some places. It is idiotic if you ask me. Only fuels arguments that campuses are “fascist” places.

Yes, this is a gray area for me. I support free speech, but is it appropriate to allow folks speak on campus who are willing to or (even indirectly) encourage violating human rights because they think a group is superior to another? I think it's fine to express all views except those that violate human rights. It gets very tricky when constituents of a viewpoint start becoming more extreme than the speaker and acting on their views in a discriminatory/violent way although the speaker did not explicitly state it. Does the speaker carry responsibility for encouraging this? It could be on either side of the political spectrum.

I don't have any answers to this.

I think the issue is usually the reverse - they want to prevent people from engaging in variant viewpoints.

A lot of campuses have policies that require universities to provide space for a protest or counter-argument for a speaker. But instead of that, there’s been all-out shutting down speakers in some places. It is idiotic if you ask me. Only fuels arguments that campuses are “fascist” places.
I think it's tough. I also get it from a liability perspective. College approves speaker who incites hate, incited audience member drives a car through the counter-protestors... who is the family going to sue? I was also a paralegal in a formal life. First rule of torts: look for someone with deep pockets.

@Pragma

FYI: SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that hate speech is not illegal. The relevant legal standard is if the speech is intended to create "imminent lawless action", AND will cause it then and there AND has the likelihood of actually being successful.

I don't have any answers to this.

I think it's tough.

I believe that Universities have the obligation to prevent speaking events from being shut down. They should provide a medium for counter-argument and protest. They should enact policies that make this doable and work with local authorities.

@Pragma

FYI: SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled that hate speech is not illegal. The relevant legal standard is if the speech is intended to create "imminent lawless action", AND will cause it then and there AND has the likelihood of actually being successful.

Very true. But, it gets a little hazy when it comes to speech that can be considered harassment. Obviously, what is considered harassment becomes it's own morass based on a myriad of definitions, but there are a ton of conflicting rulings in this area.

From an economic standpoint, who is responsible for the cost of ensuring public safety? This goes for both sides. For example, some rally for Habitat for Humanity needs minimal security present. But say, a Richard Spencer or Palestine rally obviously needs a much greater scurity presence. How much of the universities money should be expended covering public safety? And, should the organizations sponsoring the event be responsible for portions of expenses?

I believe that Universities have the obligation to prevent speaking events from being shut down. They should provide a medium for counter-argument and protest. They should enact policies that make this doable and work with local authorities.
I think that sounds great, and also not entirely realistic, and also expensive as is pointed out.
From an economic standpoint, who is responsible for the cost of ensuring public safety? This goes for both sides. For example, some rally for Habitat for Humanity needs minimal security present. But say, a Richard Spencer or Palestine rally obviously needs a much greater scurity presence. How much of the universities money should be expended covering public safety? And, should the organizations sponsoring the event be responsible for portions of expenses?
I think the organizations sponsoring the events should foot the part of the bill that's over and above normal security. Tuition is high enough without now rolling in the need to protect Richard Spencer and/or whatever his leftist equivalent would be.

Good question. I’ve heard the costs of police and fire presence to keep leftist protestors alive at the RNC conventions have been astronomical.

I’m not a Republican. I just think that the protests themselves are often violent and ridiculous and intended to cause disruption and high cost. There’s a better way to do it.

Very true. But, it gets a little hazy when it comes to speech that can be considered harassment. Obviously, what is considered harassment becomes it's own morass based on a myriad of definitions, but there are a ton of conflicting rulings in this area.

Not really.

1) By and large, harassment is not a federal matter aside from employment law.
2) Harassment requires a lack of consent and repeated exposure. Showing up to a speaking engagement is implied consent to hear what is being said.
3) There are few states that actually have harassment laws in their criminal code.

Good question. I’ve heard the costs of police and fire presence to keep leftist protestors alive at the RNC conventions have been astronomical.

I’m not a Republican. I just think that the protests themselves are often violent and ridiculous and intended to cause disruption and high cost. There’s a better way to do it.

I think this one definitely cuts both ways and is usually the fault of small minorities of people within a protest. But this is a definite issue for universities, who usually have a specified security budget for the year. What do you do in a year if several organizations want to sponsor somewhat controversial events where it could be reasonably assumed that there would be protests?

This article in behavioral and brain sciences - "Political diversity will improve social psychological science" - speaks to the homogeneity in the psychology field. The great thing about BBS are the many pro/con commentaries that provide really diverse perspectives. Reading everything takes a while, but I found it enlightening.

Not really.

1) By and large, harassment is not a federal matter aside from employment law.
2) Harassment requires a lack of consent and repeated exposure. Showing up to a speaking engagement is implied consent to hear what is being said.
3) There are few states that actually have harassment laws in their criminal code.

Title VI and IX have been applied to harassment deemed as discrimination on college campuses and learning environments.

Make any violence in the context of a protest a felony. Criminalize the heckler’s veto and pretty soon I think this tactic will stop.

Agree with the first, but the second would have to be very carefully operationally defined as I could easily see it turned into just another censorship weapon if defined too broadly. Also, it would take about 20+ years of conflicting court battles to work out.

Make any violence in the context of a protest a felony. Criminalize the heckler’s veto and pretty soon I think this tactic will stop.
I think those who are riled enough to drive a car into a crowd of people will not be deterred by threat of felony.

I think those who are riled enough to drive a car into a crowd of people will not be deterred by threat of felony.

I’m not sure anyone is requiring 100% deterrence for the solution to be effective and worth pursuing. In almost every instance, there is plenty of space to make improvements and acknowledge there is still room to improve.

I’m not saying that making something a felony will stop everyone, but if it defers some to most people, then it would be worth pursuing. I can see how this could be bastardized to curb freedom of speech, but I think some reasonable steps can be taken to make it more feasible.

I’m not sure anyone is requiring 100% deterrence for the solution to be effective and worth pursuing. In almost every instance, there is plenty of space to make improvements and acknowledge there is still room to improve.

I’m not saying that making something a felony will stop everyone, but if it defers some to most people, then it would be worth pursuing. I can see how this could be bastardized to curb freedom of speech, but I think some reasonable steps can be taken to make it more feasible.

But those that throw glass bottles at people and police officers might be, which would be good.
I agree in terms of it being helpful to reduce harm, but I don't think it'll do much to lower security costs since there will still have to be preparation made for the car into the crowd, the person with the gun, and so on.

I agree in terms of it being helpful to reduce harm, but I don't think it'll do much to lower security costs since there will still have to be preparation made for the car into the crowd, the person with the gun, and so on.
There are security costs involved whenever there is a protest. By default, it seems to fall on the local municipality to be prepared to handle any public events.

The alternative is to restrict protesting somehow, which would violate the constitution. We could complain about all of the costs associated with the "protest culture" we live in - the security for the Women's March, the March for Science, for all of the shut down streets and lost economic productivity when people protest immigration policies, etc. Occupy probably got very spendy. I would imagine the sheer amount of protesting that happens on a very regular basis drives up costs quite a bit. So I don't buy that cost is a valid reason not to bring in an under-represented viewpoints into an academic setting.

Universities could implement policies that could help contain the costs through limiting protests to particular spaces on campus, just as one example.

All of that said, I don't mind seeing protests. I just hate it when they disrupt other citizens.