the common causes of post-op fever??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xijin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in a TV show, <grey's anatomy>,

MEREDITH said: Wind, water, wound, walking, wonder drugs. The 5Ws.

so, who can give an explanation?

than you very much!!

Members don't see this ad.

errr, i think:

wind = atelactasis/pneumonia
water = uti
wound = incisional infection
walking = dvt
wonder drug = allergy

errr, i think:

water = uti
walking = dvt
wonder drug = allergy

Yeap...that is also the order they occur in...unless you have fasciitis with clostridium, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
errr, i think:

water = uti
walking = dvt
wonder drug = allergy

Thank you very much !!!:) :) :) :) :)

The ob folks will have you add a 6th W: womb (= basically anything in it but PID and pregnancy esp or perimenopause that happens to hit right after surgery :) )

also, for wonder drug, it isn't just allergy, but "drug fever"- a somewhat random fever in response to a drug or drug combo, esp the heavy hitting abx.

As a future surgery resident, I know it's surgical dogma that atelectasis causes fever, but evidence has been shown for at least 30 years that this simply is not true. Take a look at the following reference:

"Lack of Association Between Atelectasis and Fever" Chest 1995, 107: 81-84.

I agree, I've looked at those studies myself.

Then again, I've seen time & time again, a temp drops a degree or more less than a half hour after the nurses start nagging about IS use... not even tylenol would work that quick...

Agreed Rich. And as a resident, I'm sure when the nurse bugs me about post-op fever, I'll throw out the IS or have them cough or anything else to get the nurse off my back. But it's b/c I am just trying to pacify the nurse, not b/c I actually think that the atelectasis is causing fever. You and I both know that the fever is likely benign, but since we have to come up with a response for hte nurse, I don't mind pacifying her for the time being, even though I know IS is a futile exercise and uneeded expense.

Just the inflammatory response of surgery Post-op #1-2 explains the benign fever. But still, I tell the patient and nurses to start pumping the spiro.

Atelectasis does not cause fever, otherwise you would have fever every morning. post op fever like D1 is from the surgery and cytokines.