The Community You Want

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, that's not abuse. But telling someone they're stupid for trying, or insulting them by name calling IS abuse no matter the level or professional designation one might have. YOU did not state to "grow thicker skin" ... Señor S did and that's who I was referring to.

It's our responsibility as a medical forum, I believe, to be forthright and sincere without being abusive. Some people are genuinely confused about the whole process, about their stats, about what to do with their life.

It's one thing to tell someone to, "go shadow some docs and see if you like it; then work on grades, volunteering, and other things" and another to say, "Get lost"... though Carib does teeter on the latter ;) Friends of mine grad from AUC, now fully licensed docs in MN/CA/VT/RI in specialties and IM. They are rare, I know, but still it is possible.
I replied because I agree that many people just need to grow thicker skin. It could be argued that it is pretty stupid to apply if you don't have a shot. At least it is stupid to think you have a good chance when you don't. Perhaps stupid feels like an abusive word to you. Would foolish or ignorant be more acceptable to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Would foolish or ignorant be more acceptable to you?
tone/tenor are the same; both unhelpful

I'm also older, been beaten up in this thing called life and don't need to be molly-coddled.

Some people need a lighter touch and it never hurts to be kind.

I have been called out many times on SDN. Sometimes I've realized the person was right, other times I've continued to hold the opinion that the person is an idiot, but whatever the outcome it's helped me grow a thicker skin. I think a thick skin is important if you want to practice medicine for your own personal and emotional well being because you are going to have patients who blame you incorrectly, sue you unjustly, yell at you, freak out, etc., and if you can't handle the ribbing and salt some adcoms and physician posters are going to give you, I think you're going to have trouble dealing with angry patients and family members as well. It also doesn't bode well for your ability to deal with the abrasive personalities you will almost surely encounter during med school, rotations, residency and the like. I certainly don't think we should encourage abrasion but I also don't think we need to moderate the harsher posters out of existence if they are otherwise providing accurate appraisals.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely disagree on this. 6 months? Heck, if you're on rotations, you might not be able to log in for six months. Plus, I loves me a necrobump. If someone *complains* about a necrobump, they don't have to be in the thread. If they are joking, then fine. If you actually want some of my more thoughtful advice to be useful, accept the fact that I wrote it quite awhile ago.

If there is no activity in 6 months, not 6 months from initial post. or at least a year!

Were it entirely up to me? I'd probably move SPF to another section of the main site, as politics and healthcare are so closely intertwined these days. There is no real logical connection between the lounge and SPF.

Then I'd remove the lounge entirely. Posters can be social and still remain engaged in the main site.

I thought such threads would be considered off-topic in most of the non-lounge forums, hence the reason for the lounge.

View attachment 214278
6) To extend number 5, I have at several interviews when asking applicants how they found the application process, and they open up about the confusion of he process. They I ask if they downloaded the instructions or down AMCAS tutorials, and they say "no" "not really" or even, "I didnt know about them" I am truly flabbergasted. My response often would be "So you claim that you are motivated and committed to medicine, but couldnt even been bothered to download and read the free instructions?" Yes, sarcasm, but quite real.

I disagree. It's hardly sarcastic if you mean the questions just as it's been stated. You don't mean the opposite of what you're saying.

It's a completely legit question that deserves to be seriously considered by the applicant. Just how motivated, committed, and suited to medicine can you be if you are not able to follow simple instructions? That is key to becoming a physician. Some introspection on how much the applicant can improve given the simplicity yet importance of the omission, is definitely in order.

three points:

1) Repetitive questions are to be expected as their is a new crop of applicants every year and how perplexed how this process works. I dont mind them and it is why I keep a very large folder of pre-written answers, usually with SDN or other links to the accurate and verifiable information.

2) All threads should be programmed that it there is no activity after 6 months to be automatically locked. We keep them open then complain when it is a necrobump.

3) The pre-allo and pre-osteo should be merged

Getting into MD or DO schools is distinct enough in terms of requirements and the school philosophies, and OMM, to justify being separate in my mind.

I actually think that it would be better to bump up the same thread with the same question and the same advice, and just add to it, rather than a whole new thread.

I still think there must be a forum-based solution for repeating advice. Not sure what constitutes cross-posting, maybe someone can enlighten me.

There'd be way too many SDN marriages and babies if that happened. :caution:

Strog. Why do you gotta piss on my party parade pipedreams? Uterus is so sending you a hate-glare right now.

Reactions: 2 users
I disagree. It's hardly sarcastic if you mean the questions just as it's been stated. You don't mean the opposite of what you're saying.

It's a completely legit question that deserves to be seriously considered by the applicant. Just how motivated, committed, and suited to medicine can you be if you are not able to follow simple instructions? That is key to becoming a physician. Some introspection on how much the applicant can improve given the simplicity yet importance of the omission, is definitely in order.

Would that be classified as irony then?

The irony of this statement is too much for me.

Regardless, I do see both sides. I'm all for free speech. But there are TOS. If the TOS says not to be rude or inflammatory, that should apply to everyone. But I also don't get butt hurt when some keyboard warrior tries to be mean to me on the internet, so I also get the "get over it" mindset.
You were butt hurt the other day kiddo.

Members don't see this ad :)

Words on the Internet by immature college students don't mean much to me. The only one getting emotional and aggressive was you, and now you're stalking me into other threads. This post has been reported, and you're going to ignore land.

But I do want you to know that nothing you say on here has any effect on my day whatsoever. You are inconsequential to me. I really mean that.

Again, you're underestimating the power of the necrobump. Strongly against automatically closing threads due to activity.

I would agree. Sometimes there are valuable conversations in older threads that can be continued on much to the benefit of sdn users. Of course there's also random bumps that serve no purpose, but I find those to be not numerous enough that it creates a headache (although perhaps the mod team would disagree, I'm not sure).

Also this thread has made me realize perhaps I should be a little less sarcastic, so there's that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I would agree. Sometimes there's valuable conversations in older threads that can be continued on much to the benefit of sdn users. Of course there's also random bumps that serve no purpose, but I find those to be not numerous enough that it creates a headache (although perhaps the mod team would disagree, I'm not sure).

I would have to agree as well. I've definitely found some valuable posts I would not have otherwise had it not been for a necrobump.

Reactions: 2 users
Except that I was somehow able to convey the message without being a jerk about it. Now if she comes back and tells us we're all wrong or judgemental or something, then I think a little saltiness would be in order. I just don't think it's necessary right off the bat.
She is yet to reply to anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Words on the Internet by immature college students don't mean much to me. The only one getting emotional and aggressive was you, and now you're stalking me into other threads. This post has been reported, and you're going to ignore land.

But I do want you to know that nothing you say on here has any effect on my day whatsoever. You are inconsequential to me. I really mean that.
Aggressive, emotional? hahaha you were the one calling me stupid and reported me, triggered much? I'm not stalking you I was already on this thread, plus you contradicted yourself because you said you only report antisemitic and racist comments. Words on the internet by someone who is a hypocrite cracks me up everyday. The fact that you reported me over some BS says a lot about you Matthew. uMaD bro? hahaha u mad ;)

Aggressive, emotional? hahaha you were the one calling me stupid and reported me, triggered much? I'm not stalking you I was already on this thread, plus you contradicted yourself because you said you only report antisemitic and racist comments. Words on the internet by someone who is a hypocrite cracks me up everyday. The fact that you reported me over some BS says a lot about you Matthew. uMaD bro? hahaha u mad ;)

Please stop.

Reactions: 10 users
If there is no activity in 6 months, not 6 months from initial post. or at least a year!

There are a couple birthday threads on the lounge which would be hurt by this rule.

Also, don't remove the lounge. Having a social/non-focused area of a message board isn't anything new and actually helps. It offers people a place to post **** that doesn't have anything to do with the specific topics while communicating with other forum members that they talk to consistently. Both I'm sure would annoy the **** out of moderators if it happened in other threads:

Newb: HAI GUYS WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?
Jon: Meh, Okay
Jane: Agreed with Jon, YO JON DID YOU GET YOUR CAR?
Jon: WERD, 2017 Bugatti. Washed it with my 6 cases of Black Label and set it on fire
Jane: FIRE!
Andy: Jon, Jane, WHAT IS GOING ON! I JUST FINISHED CALL!
Jon: ANDY
Jane: ANDY!
Newb: ... What can you tell me about X school?
Jon, Jane, Andy: STFU NEWB! Stop getting off topic!
Mod: Thread closed...gg guys.

And this is also why we can't have nice things.

Reactions: 7 users
I am missing something, whats SPF stand for?

Anyways, I've only been able to skim the comments, and although I've been on and off this forum for a long time, here are a few of my thoughts.Anyways

Repetitive questions on a yearly basis, is to be expected. New applicants/new users, sure there is a search function, but there may be new nuances from year to year.

EDIT: I don't know if this would help anything, but the statistics for GPA/MCAT scores are publicly posted by the AAMC every year. If there was a general sticky that had linked those charts and were up to date, (only if there was a way to force people to read it prior to posting) and basics regarding what is looked at the application cycles, it would at least cut out some of the stupid questions and repetitiveness of the 'Will I get in?' threads. If you want to take it a step further there is also the MSAR, but that may be copyrighted info, which has school data, and lets applicants know where they stack up (As well as a lot of other useful info).

It's hard for things to not be political at times and people can be very grounded in their thoughts, but SDN is a place for discussion, and I feel like sweeping them into the corner is not going to do any good. I don't have any great ideas for this, but people should be reminded that, although this forum is largely anonymous, it still is a reflection of the healthcare system as a whole.

I may be a millennial, but I am not a fan of coddling people nor the creation of 'safe zones'. A echo chamber is not safe for anyone. But, the internet is the internet and trolls abound, so when discussion go off the rails/people are abusing the system, I am totally okay with thread-locking.

The art of academic jousting is a learned one, in which ad hominem attacks are eschewed in favor of remonstration via repartee or discussion of the science. Too often we veer over the line of what constitutes behavior and speech that would never be uttered in public. Some constraints in the bounds of discourse should be welcomed to maintain the same professional decorum that we as physicians should project to both our patients and our colleagues. However I favor a staged approach that would employ progressively severe private, then public warnings and reaction rather than an overt ban without recourse. Certainly this should always be on the table as an option. Regarding subject matter: I believe any subject material is relevant as long as there is at least some peripheral relationship to the field of medicine.

I think it was like, 182 likes. Don't quote me on it though. The thread was deleted by the person who started it, so it no longer exists, unfortunately.

Doesn't count if it doesn't exist! Highest I know of is Lawper's sticky with 87 likes...gonna claim the title after 88 if no one can prove a higher number...

I think it was like, 182 likes. Don't quote me on it though. The thread was deleted by the person who started it, so it no longer exists, unfortunately.

Doesn't count if it doesn't exist! Highest I know of is Lawper's sticky with 87 likes...gonna claim the title after 88 if no one can prove a higher number...

We talking about highest likes period?

If so...

O snap..157 is alot...

Highest i know is Goro's Guide to Interviews with 259 likes

Reactions: 5 users
As long as some posts get grandfathered in, I'm good with this.

Just kidding. Necrobump 4 lyfe

I have noticed over the years that he people who come on here have become progressively more thin skinned. Now anything they don't want to hear suddenly is perceived as nasty. This would never have been the case back in the day.

Now, any snarkiness get reported that never would have been reported back in the day. With this, long standing posters, many who would have continued to be useful posters, have been banned for some butt-hurt pre-meds who in all likelihood disappear before medical school.

If you you want this to just be a bunch of pre-meds and early medical students fine. But longstanding posters who are your most seasoned and most useful, should be left alone. Otherwise the utility of this forum is going down the drain.

Reactions: 6 users
I have noticed over the years that he people who come on here have become progressively more thin skinned. Now anything they don't want to hear suddenly is perceived as nasty. This would never have been the case back in the day.

Now, any snarkiness get reported that never would have been reported back in the day. With this, long standing posters, many who would have continued to be useful posters, have been banned for some butt-hurt pre-meds who in all likelihood disappear before medical school.

If you you want this to just be a bunch of pre-meds and early medical students fine. But longstanding posters who are your most seasoned and most useful, should be left alone. Otherwise the utility of this forum is going down the drain.

There's a difference between being thin skinned (which I agree is something that needs to be identified and pointed out) and being harassed or insulted. Getting bothered and reporting when someone uses nothing ad hominem attacks and obejecticely offensive insults is not being thin skinned. The longevity of a poster's history should not protect them from warnings or banning for gross violations of the TOS.

Reactions: 4 users
This forum has been an absolute godsend, my only regret is not discovering it sooner.

Maybe take the non-quantifiable variables more seriously? For instance: first impressions and the traits that add to them; attractiveness, outfit, height, weight, etc. People would like to say that ADCOMs are unbiased and whatnot, but I'd be willing to bet that a fit interviewee makes a better first impression than someone out of shape.

A discussion on how to make this forum more friendly devolves into a flame war.

Classic SDN.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 21 users

Classic SDN.

It's over, no need to bring it up again. It escalated very quickly haha, but all love to Matthew, I meant no harm to my fellow man. I'm sorry buddy @Matthew9Thirtyfive :D

As a lurker maybe my opinion isn't as valuable, but there's a trend I've noticed which I think boils down to a general principle. Sometimes it's not just what you say, but how you say it. If you can give valuable advice without unnecessary condescension, in my opinion that's the better route to take for improving post quality in a community which should be supportive of one another.

Classic SDN.

Except I ignored him and reported his post since he decided to stalk me from a different thread and harass me, so not really. But nice attempt at picking a fight. And just FYI, I'll be putting you on ignore too so that you don't derail the thread like your bro there.

Except I ignored him and reported his post since he decided to stalk me from a different thread and harass me, so not really. But nice attempt at picking a fight. And just FYI, I'll be putting you on ignore too so that you don't derail the thread like your bro there.
It's just a joke, dude. The irony is amusing is all.

Someone has clarified that it's "Sociopolitical forum", previously known as "Everyone", by now, right?
I think so.

Its cool. They still don't know the super secret password.

It's just a joke, dude. The irony is amusing is all.

He may have been joking, but biotic was not. He spent an entire thread attempting to insult me, getting more and more aggressive as I refused to stoop to his level. Then he purposely quoted me here and attempted to drag it into this thread. I just would like to see it dropped and don't want to derail the thread is all.

Ummm knock yourself out

Status
Not open for further replies.