Apr 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I thought putting this thread here would get more views. I have a question. I have an offer to got to dental school(texas school). YES its an amazing feeling to be deemed worthy of attending a dental school. But the acceptance falls on hard times, especially when I never imagined being accepted after I applied so late in the cycle. Its a big enough personal matter, than it will interfere with my studies, and would be much more convenient, to start next year. In all honesty, I don't mind, and I'm in no hurry. We live and die. I just enjoy life too much to stress out about this stuff. As far as the type of student I am, without trying to be too full of myself. I have a great GPA and DAT score. I'm a very competitive student, when you factor in the intangibles. So aside from you guys thinking I must be crazy to decline such an offer. What would be the implications of declining an offer? Ideally, I would love to reapply and get in next cycle. Would a dental school look down on this?

timwatley

7+ Year Member
May 5, 2009
OR
www.ohsu.edu
Status
Pre-Dental, Dentist
If you're a competitive applicant there isn't much of a need to worry, you've got to do what you've got to do.

If you interview at a school and hate it...why would you be crazy for passing it up? People take this stuff too seriously.

Jan 25, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I thought putting this thread here would get more views. I have a question. I have an offer to got to dental school(texas school). YES its an amazing feeling to be deemed worthy of attending a dental school. But the acceptance falls on hard times, especially when I never imagined being accepted after I applied so late in the cycle. Its a big enough personal matter, than it will interfere with my studies, and would be much more convenient, to start next year. In all honesty, I don't mind, and I'm in no hurry. We live and die. I just enjoy life too much to stress out about this stuff. As far as the type of student I am, without trying to be too full of myself. I have a great GPA and DAT score. I'm a very competitive student, when you factor in the intangibles. So aside from you guys thinking I must be crazy to decline such an offer. What would be the implications of declining an offer? Ideally, I would love to reapply and get in next cycle. Would a dental school look down on this?
Have you asked them if you can defer the admission for a year? I'm not sure whether or not some schools do that, but I thought it would be worth checking about. If you have a personal matter to deal with that with interfere with dental school, then I saw you should wait the year. You said you're a very competitive applicant, and I believe it will be easy to explain the situation in your personal statement. I think the implications will be that schools will want a reasonable explanation why you would pass up an offer in a past cycle. If the personal matter is legitimate and you explain it, then I think it will be a non-issue. Best of luck. :thumbup:

Jan 16, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Have you asked them if you can defer the admission for a year? I'm not sure whether or not some schools do that, but I thought it would be worth checking about. If you have a personal matter to deal with that with interfere with dental school, then I saw you should wait the year. You said you're a very competitive applicant, and I believe it will be easy to explain the situation in your personal statement. I think the implications will be that schools will want a reasonable explanation why you would pass up an offer in a past cycle. If the personal matter is legitimate and you explain it, then I think it will be a non-issue. Best of luck. :thumbup:
Totally agree that you should tell the Texas school what is going on in your life. This way, if it is a school that you would be interested in attending next year, they will have no reason to look down upon your application. In other schools' eyes, it should bear no relevance. If you are given interviews next year, a personal matter should be simple to explain.