The constant relocation in this field...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else exhausted by the constant relocation in this field (internship, postdoc, etc)? I've lived in three different regions of the country in the past two years. I'm super grateful for the opportunities I've moved for, don't get me wrong, but moving is so expensive and stressful, plus it's hard to make local friends (or date) when you are only somewhere for a year.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Yes, definitely! I'm on my fourth state in four years. Professionally, it has been great - exciting opportunities, great training, etc. But personally I am tired of making new friends, apartment hunting, and making my wife keep quitting new jobs.

We're settled now, hopefully for the long term. I can't wait to have the same job two years in a row.

Edit to add: My heart broke when I did the travel math for post doc. We spent almost 8% of my post doc gross salary moving to/from post doc. Yucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've always understood this as the nature of the beast. We knew ahead of time we would likely match out of state for internship. And then we make the decisions after that. We could have stayed in the same state as internship for postdoc, and took a lesser postdoc if we weren't offered our top choice. I view moving to different regions as representative of our career ambitions.

Members don't see this ad :)
There needs to be an It Gets Better campaign for grad students, especially us psychologists-in-training. :help:

Reactions: 8 users
This resonates so strongly with me in light of being accepted to a post-doc. I thought I would just feel happy and relieved, but was surprised to find feelings of dread creeping in at the thought of picking up and moving my life again. It probably doesn’t help that I got to spend internship year close to home/family and now have to wrap my mind around leaving them again for 2 years. Really hope it’s all worth it in the end.

I had a really rough time moving from the area where I grew up to my internship. After the initial move and once I connected with peers it got much easier, and the move for postdoc was no problem at all. It was even a bit exciting to see another new area. Looking back on it, I was glad that I moved as it helped build character and give me a different perspective on another part of the country. What helps more than anything is having a cohort of interns or postdocs who are going through the same thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else exhausted by the constant relocation in this field (internship, postdoc, etc)? I've lived in three different regions of the country in the past two years. I'm super grateful for the opportunities I've moved for, don't get me wrong, but moving is so expensive and stressful, plus it's hard to make local friends (or date) when you are only somewhere for a year.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Got to negotiate for those relocation benefits in the job talks. Unless you're in the VA, good luck with that one.

I'm finally settled down. Also moved between several geographic regions. I enjoyed it at the time. Met my spouse at one location. Glad to be settled down now. One benefit from moving a lot was being able to move to a much higher paying job each time, so there's an upside.

Reactions: 1 users
I, too, met Wisneuros spouse while moving.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”

Reactions: 2 users
I matched for internship based on a phone interview and felt I was moving to the moon. Yet I also found that because I was moving to a place I knew I'd only be at for a year, I actually did more and made more of my time there than anywhere else I've ever lived. I went to festivals, learned to hike, explored the region....I would have said "there's time to do these things" if I was there for longer. (And indeed, I've done only a fraction of the things I did on internship in the place I moved for a faculty position.)

I also used my internship year as an opportunity to date with few strings. I believe I told the guy who is now my husband "I just want a couple of really hot flings during this year since I know I'm leaving in July." And......he moved with me at the end of my year.

The point is, I suppose, that YES moving is stressful and expensive, but there are definitely some "adventure advantages" if you're willing to look for them.

Reactions: 6 users
My partner is in med school and has moved about every 6 weeks for the past 1.5 years (and for the next .5) doing rotations in fishing villages in Alaska, in rural Montana, around Seattle, etc. I never found the relocations for psych to be out of the ordinary for academic of health provider positions, or even just regular jobs, now. Most people I know in any position have moved for work several times, and those who haven't have turned down jobs in other places to stay put.

I was able to stay in the SF Bay Area until internship and am going back for postdoc... I think it depends on what and how you prioritize during your training.

Yes, we knew what we were getting ourselves into. Yes, people in other fields have to move. These things don't make the tough parts any easier. As someone who will live in her third state in 3 years in a few months, I feel you, futureapppsy2.

Reactions: 5 users
On the bright side, I am very good at apartment hunting and figuring out moving options/costs.

My partner learned how to use CAD software so he could figure out the minimum size truck we could get away with and which boxes needed to go where. You do certainly learn the art of moving- and moving on the cheap- and minimizing the amount of stuff you accumulate - which on the plus side I guess are all important life skills. Those years cured me of my sentimental, pack-rat habits.

Internship, post-doc, first job, second job. Four different states. I have been in the same place for four years now and it almost feels like home now. Planning to move next year though. :eek:

8 years of training, 4 states for training/internship/Post-doc/job, and I am basically a pro at moving.

I decided early on that I’d move for the best training and opportunities. I have enjoyed living around the country, though not everyone does....and I knew it’d pay off if I put in the time. If you specialize you can sometimes have more options; networking is also hugely important.

Moving does get old. I’m now in a place where I will likely stay for a long time, as it’s a great fit for my lifestyle and professional goals. If/When I eventually leave the field i’d likely stay or at least keep a condo.

I'm sooooo sick of it. I've moved cross-country four times in the past six years (internship, post doc, job, another job after the first one didn't work out). It's really hurt our finances, not to mention my partner's had trouble finding consistent employment due to the constant relocation. On the plus side, we've gotten excellent at moving. At least I'm finally done now, and thanks to a recent raise my finances are getting better, slowly but surely.

I was fortunate to negotiate moving expenses to both my first job after fellowship and then my next job, so that helped...but there are still more costs that pop up that ate into my budget. Definitely try to get relocation/moving expenses bc it gets expensive!

One good thing about changing jobs is the (potential) $ increase. I shoot for at least a 15-20% bump, though again it depends on a lot of other variables. My housing cost doubled, so there is that. :laugh: