Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

The cruelest joke...Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by unicorn06, Nov 30, 2005.

1. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So at dinner yesterday, a group from my college was talking about med school apps and acceptances. After all but two of us had left, my friend told me he was really annoyed with how obnoxious one girl was being about her acceptance and said he was going to send her a fake rejection from her top-choice school. At first I thought he was joking, but he brought it up again today and said he'd done some research into the proper format and everything...I think this would be a cruel and terrible joke...Am I overreacting? Just wondering what you all think...

2. Orpheus333

Orpheus333 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not gonna lie. I'd probably kill some one if they did that to me.

...I guess it depends on how annoying they were ;)

no, I think that is really really bad.

3. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    your friend needs to grow up.........jealous much?

4. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Agree. :thumbup: Any "friend" of mine who did that would quickly become a former friend. :thumbdown:

5. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

That is pretty hideous, and honestly, I'd step in and stop him. Tell him what goes around will come around.

6. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Not cool, not even a little bit.

7. Indryd

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let him do it, but tell the chick and then let him look like an ass when she mails it back to him covered in dogsh!t.

8. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks you guys..she was honestly being obnoxious about her acceptance, but I was thinking I should tell her anyways. I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't overreacting before I took action

9. If he does, tell him to say it's a joke in the last sentence of it, atleast.

10. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That is really mean, but I think that prank someone posted a while back about calling a friend from a med school and pretending to be the Dean inviting him to interview was worse. Apparently, the person "playing" the prank worked at the med school in some regard, and so the caller ID did say the name of the school and the guy bought it. The worst part was that he told the guy to come on halloween, and to feel free to dress up because he (the Dean) would be too. Apparently the guy showed up dressed as a box of lucky charms.

I don't know if this actually happened, but I think that would definitely be worse.

11. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

He said he would tell her the next day so there was really no harm...but a full day of emotional distress sounds like harm to me...Saying it was a joke in the last sentence would work as long as she read the whole letter. She might just read the first line...we're sorry to inform you blah blah blah and get upset and store it away or throw it away or rip it to shreds....I think I will rip my first rejection to shreds when it comes!

12. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ohhhh man.

:D

13. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member

Attending Physician
    When I was interviewing at one school I read through a yearbook sitting on their coffee table and came across one person relating a match day experience. Apparently this guy's friend was more worked up than usual about the match so this guy registered an e-mail id that read something like [email protected] or somesuch. He then types a detailed e-mail saying that this guy failed to match. He copies the letter used the previous year by the NRMP. He then sends the e-mail at 12:01am on the morning of the national match. Apparently the guy didn't examine the e-mail address closely enough and bought the whole thing. It wasn't until after this guy convinced his now weeping friend to check his mailbox that his friend realized it was a hoax (he did in fact match). The story ended by saying the joke was crueler than the guy intended, and they weren't really friends after that, but he hopes that he fogives him someday . . .

How terrible was that prank?

14. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

Hah. As if getting completely embarassed isn't bad enough, being dressed as a box of lucky charms at the time might be the best example of adding insult to injury of all time.
    On the upside, that has the very serious potential of getting someone an interview. I'd give it to him.

15. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.

Attending Physician
    I'd have to give him an interview.

Something like that would negate all the bad things that had happened previously in the week.

16. physiclas87

physiclas87 Member
    5+ Year Member

Something like this happened to my sister, except it was for undergraduate admissions. Two friends of hers sent her a fake acceptance letter from her top choice school, Yale, through an email. At the end of the message, it read something like "haha, did you really think you would get into Yale?" She was completely devastated. Lots of crying. Of course the 3 never spoke again.

Although my little sister did not get into Yale, she got into Stanford, so its all good.

17. tacrum43

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
  18. unicorn06

unicorn06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

That is awful. I usually have a good sense of humor, but I just don't think these things are funny.

19. Faust

Faust Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Snitch!

20. coco

coco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I totally agree. That is SO mean. I can't imagine anyone doing that. This whole process is stressful enough as is and this is the last thing anyone should be doing. It's totally ridiculous. Playing with people's emotions like that is not amusing or funny at all.

21. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I feel the same way . . . actually the fact that the anecdote was in their year book reflected poorly on the school. If that's what the people are like at that institution then I don't want any part of it . . . not that one person's experience should skew one's opinion of a school, but it def. gave me pause.

22. tacrum43

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    What school was this?

23. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    After reading this thread I am terrified that my acceptance letter is a fraud now!

24. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The prank that the OP posted is actually pretty funny. If the girl was seriously being a b!tch about it and flaunting that acceptance then I'd say that she deserves it. Humility and humbleness is something that everyone should learn. =P

25. mtDNA

mtDNA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you know....that is definitely a cruel joke to play, but depending on how obnoxious the girl was, it may be permissible for you to allow it. Seriously, even though you could say that this guy is jealous and immature, I would also have to point out that arrogance is a shortcoming as well. It really bothers me to see so many arrogant pre-meds, I shudder to think of how inflated their egos will be when they are actually doctors...this may be a good lesson for her.

26. mtDNA

mtDNA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

didn't even read Pewls post before I posted the above one. Basically, I am echoing what he says though.

27. While I do sometimes agree that "those" people (and you all know someone who will and should get what's coming to them sooner than later).. I think the avoidance of any kind of drama is in everyone's interests.

It isn't at all humble in my book to be personally "teaching lessons" to anyone, no matter how much we feel they deserve it. :rolleyes:

28. pguin

pguin Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First off, unless this persons planning on putting a hundred bucks into faking this letter it should be pretty easy to see that its not an official letter. Plus she seem to deserve it for being so full of herself. It's stuid to feel sorry for someone because they didnt get into their top choice - feel sorry for those people who havent got into any choice yet! (like me). In summary, it seems like a hilarious joke and you definately shouldnt tell her.

29. it.

it. 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

i predict that the girl gets the last laugh and gets an acceptance from her top choice

30. doctorFred

doctorFred intensive carer
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    at my undegrad's webmail, it's really easy to manipulate the "From:" field with any email address you want, and unless the person views the full headers (which most people are totally clueless about), they think they're receiving a legit email. i knew a lot of people in college who emailed each other with rejection notices from things like '[email protected]@edu.' it escalated pretty quickly. i've pulled this prank several times myself, although not in regards to medical school applications - mostly i sent notices from the president of the university telling my friends they were buttheads and things like that.
    :laugh:

31. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Word. :thumbup: Who elected that guy lord and supreme ruler of the universe that he should feel free to go out meting judgment on the arrogance of others?

32. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    sounds pretty funny to me...

33. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed. That shiz was funny. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

34. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's not such a bad prank if it ends in a happy ending -- but there's unfortunately no way to guarantee that. Instead of a rejection letter, your friend should maybe have the adcom write to her asking for additional photos -- something more risque perhaps :rolleyes: .

35. CTG

CTG Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    pretty ironic coming from you since one of your quotes is "play nice" ;p

36. rhystheprince

rhystheprince MVPhysician
    5+ Year Member

The best way to go about this prank would be to send a fake "withdraw my application" letter with the arrogant girl's name to the AdComs at those schools she's gotten into! MAN! That would be just OUT RIGHT CRIMINAL!

I am JOKING OF COURSE...I believe something like this would be a felony or something like that..."you are sentenced to spend 2 years in federal prison for multiple attempts to ruin the plaintiff's career through correspondence forgery" or something like that.

No matter what, that would be kinda funny though...in a sick, twisted way...?

37. run_4ever

run_4ever waiting........
    5+ Year Member

What exactly constitutes being "obnoxious" about a med school acceptance? Holy crap. The girl has worked her ass off like the rest of us to get accepted. What could she possibly do that so pissed this guy off that he would be that cruel. Sounds like somebody is just jealous to me.

38. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your right...but it's still funny.
    By the way, if that's you on your avatar, you are hot. Just wanted to tell ya! ;)

39. OwnageMobile

OwnageMobile is just a moniker.
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I would make it a phone call, much less to trace. Plus, you could record her reaction. Hell, you could even tell her that you are just kidding in the same conversation, but that would be too humane.

40. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I think it's mean. I don't care how obnoxious the girl is. Haven't we all at times been too prideful or been insensitive about someone's feelings?
    Let's not be too eager to cast stones at others for faults we all share in varying degrees. As far as letting the friend do it, what's the famous expression: All it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    This is a small instance of standing up for what's right, but practice makes perfect!

41. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Stop Snitching!!!

It'll be funny! She was probably flaunting her acceptance and deserves it. Maybe it'll deflate her ego.

42. spitfire5454

spitfire5454 New Member
    7+ Year Member

i would much rather get a fake rejection letter than a fake acceptence letter. at least you can only go up from there as you can still get accepted. imagine if you got a fake acceptance letter from you first choice and you didnt catch the joke. finally, your friends tell you it was a joke.....except you thought it was real and have already turned down the rest of your offers. kind of worst case senario. but a funny expression of iorny as long as dosent happen like that.

43. superdavykinz

superdavykinz zububububu
    5+ Year Member

That's Rachel Bilson from the OC. Watch some t.v.!

44. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You've gotta be kidding me.

I bet you were the kid who tattled on your classmates in elementary school when they were plotting to throw mud at the girls during recess.

This is not an issue of "good" or "evil" here. If this prank shatters the girl's psyche then she was not cut out for medicine anyway. I won't even get into the insults and remarks that were made about me to my face when I was growing up in Indiana as the only Asian kid in my schools. All I can say was that it made me stronger, more confident, and very competent in dealing with all sorts of people and whatever it is they have in stored for me. =P

45. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Since when was this ever about "meting out judgment." This is a person taking action in something he believes in without physically hurting someone.

I suppose helping an old lady across the street without her asking is "meting out judgment" that she's too frail and incapable of crossing the street on her own. Surely you can't be helping her across the street because you BELIEVE it to be the right thing for you to do.

Our actions are dicated by what we personally feel is right. I know for a fact that if someone really, really pissed me off I'd get a kick out of devising some sort of trick or prank on him. One time, my friends and I just bombarded my friend's old boss's SUV with paintballs in the middle of the night. It was hilarious. Apparently the boss was a complete jerk to several of the people in the office and was making personal insults about their families. In addition to that, he was using a ton of pirated software in the office. We all knew that he was very, very well off and would be able to afford any repairs. Sooooo we just unloaded. Were we passing judgment? Nope. We were just doing what we felt was right. =)

46. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    omg--rachel bilson is on SDN.....I had no idea she wanted to be a doctor......no way!! lol :laugh:

47. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    duhh. thanks for the info. :rolleyes:

48. tacrum43

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Just because you feel an action was personally right doesn't actually make it legally, ethically or morally right. Maybe it does for your opinion of yourself, but not neccessarily for the people you affected.

49. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Does the fact that suffering made you stronger excuse what they did? The fact that they taunted you was wrong, regardless of what the results were. Maybe the girl isn't cut out for medicine, but I don't think it's our job to test the strength of people's psyches by putting them through cruel jokes. FYI- I never tattled, but I would go right up to kids at recess and tell 'em to back off if they were being mean to someone. I got enough crap at home without seeing other kids taking it at school...

50. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What's really funny is "pompous" as defined by people dying to get in who haven't might be the same as "excited and proud" as expressed by someone who is so happy they've been accepted and are well on their way to reaching a life goal. If you're her friends, she's probably celebrating with you.

What is wrong with people?! Enjoy your friend's happiness and don't let the other friend ruin it. The person who needs to be stonger is the bitter, scared friend who is so worried he won't get into school that he needs to ruin someone else's joy in order to feel better.

Edit: I notice you never said she was his friend, but you never know what she thinks. Maybe she's more open and thinks she's sharing and doesn't realize he sees it as rubbing his nose in her "victory". When I got on SDN, I realized how much info I missed out on by not being connected to the pre-med advising office and not being involved in the pre-med club, but I'm realizing I probably missed a lot of bullshiz thereby.