The Day After.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jokester

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so how long should you wait to send out thank you notes to your interviewers?
and what's the procedure regarding Letters of Intention? Should you only send them when you get waitlisted or if you interview at a school and decide you really like it there, can you send a Letter of Intention right after the interview? one day after the interview? two days? a week?
I don't want to look desperate or overly-eager (though sometimes I feel I am both :rolleyes: )
thanks for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, don't wait on the thank you's. If you are anything like me, if you put it off you'll never do it. Plus, I think people are way more likely to remember you if they get a note quickly, and if they don't meet with the committee right away, you might get to sneak in one more good impression before they seal your fate. Lots of people will tell you that a thank you won't help, but I'd say that it certainly can't hurt and if you end up going to the school, you might feel more comfortable approaching that person for advice down the road.

Letters of intent didn't work for me at all, so I've no advice on that one. :)

I usually have a draft of my thank you letter sitting on my computer. After the interview, I format it a bit to add tidbits about something specific about the school and my interview. Then I mail it out the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I send handwritten thank you cards. Is that weird?

I also have an interview prep book that says not to send one at all, cuz it's annoying. What do you think?

Annoying??? To get a thank you??? What interview book are you reading? Is it specific to med school? I'm just curious 'cus I've never heard that bit of advice before.

I'm wondering about the letter of intent, too. I've read it's useful if you wind up on a waitlist, but nothing else.

Theresa

Originally posted by TheresaW
I'm wondering about the letter of intent, too. I've read it's useful if you wind up on a waitlist, but nothing else.

Theresa

Thats what I hear too. Only do LOIs in the spring or after being notified you are waitlisted. They really move you along a waitlist if you send one in.

Originally posted by TheresaW
Annoying??? To get a thank you??? What interview book are you reading? Is it specific to med school? I'm just curious 'cus I've never heard that bit of advice before.

It was a generic interview book, aimed primarily at getting a job. It's a pretty popular one, Sweaty Palms .

Aren't thank you notes a little tacky and useless? The school that I interviewed at said that they were going to make their decision that afternoon after the interviews. So what is the point of sending a thank you note? Plus it?s the adcom?s job to interview you. They are not doing you any favors.

I really don't think their necessary. What do other people think? Do you think it will increase your chances? I think the interviewers pretty much made up their minds before they even receive the note.

You should keep in mind that interviewers have variable amounts of influence on the admissions committee at different schools; at some places they are sit with the committee when your file is reviewed and in others they simply write something up and have little further input.

Also, depending on the school, you may be put into a fixed list, and no letter is going to change that. Personally, I wrote letters addressed to the Admissions Committee instead of thank you notes. They weren't letters of intent; they were simply letters thanking the school for giving me an interview and letting them know what I liked about the school and why I would want to go there (which after interviewing, can be put much more thoughtfully than on your secondary before you even see the place.:mad: )

-Z

I agree in that I really don't think it is going to affect any decision. It is, however, courteous. Many of these physicians do take a big chunk of time out of their schedule to help with this process. A thank you is just a note of appreciation. If you appreciate what they've done for you, send a thank you. I don't think I'm gonna send a thank you to my interviewer who showed up a half hour late, but certainly to the others I enjoyed. Use your discretion.

They see through it. It's not going to make a bit of difference. They won't be sitting on the fence about your application and then suddenly say, "Wait, this person really kissed our butts nicely with this beautifully handwritten note that they wrote because they thought it would make a difference. Lets accept them now!"

Originally posted by soonerpillow
I also have an interview prep book that says not to send one at all, cuz it's annoying. What do you think?

That really makes sense if you think about the number of interviews this person is likely to do over a few weeks.

When I was in an online class the prof said not to send him any "Thanks for this, or that sounds great...." email responses. He said it's not necessary and just creates more unnecessary work for him. Who whould'a thunk that!? :confused:

Originally posted by Wardens
I agree in that I really don't think it is going to affect any decision. It is, however, courteous. Many of these physicians do take a big chunk of time out of their schedule to help with this process. A thank you is just a note of appreciation. If you appreciate what they've done for you, send a thank you. I don't think I'm gonna send a thank you to my interviewer who showed up a half hour late, but certainly to the others I enjoyed. Use your discretion.

I'm with Wardens on this. It's about courtesy. I don't expect it to have any influence on my application.