dani9

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
Hi, I have a question. Should I try to finished with all the exams until the end of August? I have been told that some of the residency programs stop accepting applications at the end of September. Is it true? What if I don't have my results by this time-can I still opply?

klubguts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
the big D
Status
The earliest deadline for applications i had was mid-october but this depends upon which specialty you are applying in...the system for entering applications (ERAS) opened early in september this year. When to take the exams (i assume you are talking about step 2 CK and CS) is a topic of various opinions. You should certainly have completed step 1 prior to september, but the others you can take any time. If you rocked step 1, many would suggest putting off step 2 CK. If you want to improve on your step 1, then by all means take step 2 early. The CS exam is a pain, and i don't think residency programs really care when you take this (most i applied to require a passing score prior to starting residency, but you can find this information on the FRIEDA web site). All you NEED is step 1 to apply (many programs screen for interviews using your step 1 score). You will have the option of withholding your subsequent test scores until you receive them, at which time you can send them out to your programs if you are pleased with them (or not if you are not--ie, step 2 less than step 1, for example). I hope the administration at your school will talk with you about these issues soon. Your med school may or may not have certain requirement with regard to these exams and graduation (i have to have sat for both of them). Many med schools also have deadlines for taking the exams, so check with your deans office. Hope this was helpful and good luck.