The Deaf Community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdh516

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my Human Development class tonight we had a guest speaker. He is a psychologist doing post-bac work on the elderly Deaf community. He brought up a lot of really good points, but something that really struck me was what he had to say about the medical profession and its care of the Deaf.

Many doctors are unaware of the special needs of the Deaf, and because of obvious language barriers, are unable to properly diagnose or treat patients. Additionally, many members of the Deaf community do not seek medical help because they feel that doctors can't help someone they can't understand.

Our speaker said that there are interpreters available to help the doctors and the patients, but often doctors feel they can get by with a family member serving as interpreter or they just don't want to pay the money to hire one.

I have no experience with this population, but as an aspiring Geriatrician (something like 12.3 million Deaf people will be elderly in 2015), this seems like something that we should address.

What experience does anyone have with the Deaf, and what do you guys think about how medicine can better help such a large group of our population?

Members don't see this ad.

The radiology group I'm rotating with right now has a deaf pt coming in for a mammogram. They (the physicians) have to hire an interpreter for the pt visit and this will cost them more than they charge for the mammogram.

hey can anyone tell me anything more about this? my gf wants to be a psychologist in a deaf school. It seems like there isn't much of a need for this, as there aren't many schools for the deaf; I'm not sure where she got this idea from. she's a psych major and is also taking sign language She lives in the NY area. Does anyone know of any agencies she can contact? i'd greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
awesome!! thanks so much, Dr,. Mom

I can give you the name of the psychologist who spoke to my class, he might be able to help her. Just pm me if you want more info.

sdh516 Yes health care for the deaf can cause a problem. It is VERY expensive to get an interperter but not only that it just isnt as effective as being able to talk to someone face to face with out the third party translating back and forth. This could also cause a problem if the deaf person wants to talk about something sensitive with the doctor.

English is the #1 language spoken in states.. followed by spanish.. and then sign language.

I'm not sure that there is a simple easy fix for the problem. Since your interested in workign with an older population that may well have many deaf people in it you could see what you could do about learning sign. Maybe even just enough to even just understand what someone is telling you even if you cant effectively communicate back it is a step forward. I'm glad that I learned signed because I do plan on workign in a field of medicine where I anticipate I will have my share of deaf patients.

I took a class titled "intro to deaf culture" which was pretty interesting. One thing that stuck with me from the class that I hadn't known before was the prevelence of Deaf Clubs in most cities. If I remember correctly, they have a high place within the deaf community in terms of social and cultural interactions. If you really want to know from a first hand source, I'm sure if you found one of these clubs in your area, someone would be more than happy to help you out.
As far as experiences go, I actually got to put my remedial fingerspelling abilities to good use as a physical therapist aide. It probably wasn't any faster than jotting notes on a paper, but the patient seemed to enjoy our conversations (however remdial they may have been).

DocStretch said:
One thing that stuck with me from the class that I hadn't known before was the prevelence of Deaf Clubs in most cities.
You WOULD think this.. I was pretty involved with the dead club where I lived before and now I've been spending weeks trying to find the deaf community where I am now.. and to my dismay it is sorely lacking.. :(
I did find someone who did tell me that they would keep me posted on social events but I'm sad that there isn't a deaf club where I could go weekly for social stuff.

Hey All,

I am what is known in the deaf community as a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults). Both of my parents are deaf and I am currently a pre-dental student but I surf all of these threads. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will be more than happy to try to address any interest that you all may have. Even if I don't know the answer, I can ask my parents and many of their friends as a resource. If you are interested in ethical issues surrounding treating deafness, I would love to harbor discussions on this topic. In fact, I am interested in any topic conceivable on deafness in health care as this topic is something that is something deeply personal to me.

I have no hearing loss whatsoever, which is fairly normal as 90-95% of the children of deaf adults have normal hearing. I have grown up in deaf communities all of my life, attended a deaf church, visited deaf colleges, high schools, you name it. I have fond childhood memories of playing with other deaf kids on the playground at deaf schools when my father was the dean of boys there. I speak American Sign Language quite fluently, and it is my first language.

It is neat to see the interest in the deaf community expressed here by future MD's as American Sign Language is the third most used language in the United States after English and Spanish. (This is mentioned earlier on this thread as well) This accounts for a significant percentage of the population and their needs are often misunderstood. This I have observed countless times serving as an interpreter in countless situations - medical or otherwise.

I started out pre-med in college and if I had applied to medical school, and if I had got in, and completed med school, I know that my top choice for specializing if I had specialized would have been ENT. (A lot of if's, and most med students change ideas of specialties in med school anyway, but I just have a feeling about this one all the same) Call it a glimpse into another life, if you want.

I figured that with my fluency in ASL and my contacts in the deaf community, in whatever speciality I choose, I would be able to reach a deeper level of treatment in the deaf community. I still love medicine, and study it in my free time when I am not working at the hospital or taking pre-dental classes. I guess I am an idealist - I am still pursuing this dream of medicine (whatever shape it may take) with the passion that only other pre-meds or pre-dental or pre-whatever can understand...

The deaf community is unique in that it is an isolated culture and as the majority have hearing parents and hearing children - the culture is learned from their peers. It is just like any other culture with its own rules, unspoken expectations, and ways of behavior that are more often than not misunderstood by other cultures. I am what is known in many missionary contexts as a Third Culture kid, one who grows up in a culture that is neither my own or that of the host culture. A bridge between two worlds - and this is what makes me uniquely qualified to address the unique situation that is the deaf community. Neither culture understands each other fully, and both communities (hearing and deaf) depend on us CODA's to explain each culture to the other.

So, thats a little about myself and I'm definitely offering myself as a resource anytime. PM me, email me, post on this thread, whatever, I don't care. Ten years from now, if you're in a practice and bump into that deaf person, and by some miracle, I am still on SDN - don't hesitate to contact me... I have a heart for the deaf as I grew up among them and I know how often they could have been better served on countless occasions had the hearing person had just a little bit of knowledge about deaf culture. So fire away!!

P.S. I plan to post on this thread again at a later time with some thoughts on medical situations specific to deaf patients. So, stay tuned!!

sdh516 said:
In my Human Development class tonight we had a guest speaker. He is a psychologist doing post-bac work on the elderly Deaf community. He brought up a lot of really good points, but something that really struck me was what he had to say about the medical profession and its care of the Deaf.

Many doctors are unaware of the special needs of the Deaf, and because of obvious language barriers, are unable to properly diagnose or treat patients. Additionally, many members of the Deaf community do not seek medical help because they feel that doctors can't help someone they can't understand.

Our speaker said that there are interpreters available to help the doctors and the patients, but often doctors feel they can get by with a family member serving as interpreter or they just don't want to pay the money to hire one.

I have no experience with this population, but as an aspiring Geriatrician (something like 12.3 million Deaf people will be elderly in 2015), this seems like something that we should address.

What experience does anyone have with the Deaf, and what do you guys think about how medicine can better help such a large group of our population?

I think it would help to have some physicians who can sign.

Ajay said:
I think it would help to have some physicians who can sign.

I agree. This has been one of the activities I've participated in during college. I've taken a few courses at a Residential School for the deaf. They have taken us through the actual residential school and encouraged us to try to interact with the children there, and I have learned so much from the experience. First, the children are more than willing to help you learn (and laugh at you all in good fun if you mess up and sign something wrong). The teachers also have stressed to us that the deaf students do not perceive their deafness and their need for signing as a disability any more than the hearing would view their ability to speak and hear the spoken word as a disability. It is simply their means of communication.
I think that these classes really impacted the way I thought about some of the difficulties faced in the medical setting. Deafness, just as a spoken language barrier, or a lack of education, can reduce the ability of the physcian and patient to have open lines of communication and for the patient to really become an active participant in their treatment.

I saw a really good documentary about deaf culture called "Sound and Fury" two or three years ago...I think it was originally on PBS but you can rent it (I got it from a Blockbuster).

It's mainly about how one family that has both hearing and deaf members deals with cochlear implant technology and the decision about whether or not it is right for their children. I was really struck by how much some deaf people identify themselves through their deafness, and how this culture and community is more important to them than the perceived benefits of hearing. You don't see communities like that for the blind, paraplegics, etc. but it seems that having a seperate language really allows them to bond and form an identity around being deaf. It was quite moving and very interesting, it made me much more aware of how some deaf people view the world. There are definitely some medical ethics issues that the film raises, and even though I didn't necessarily agree with the choices the parents made it raised a perspective I wasn't aware of before. Anyone else see this? If not, you should go rent it and share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
This issue is going to be very, very important when the ramifications of the IPOD come to bear. A good portion of the population chooses to walk around all day playing music that is slowly damaging their hearing. I think that public education is going to become important in the battle against hearing loss, and I hope that it results in better and more consistent health care for the deaf.

hey all,
I'm also really interested in the Deaf community, and particularly how doctors can better serve deaf people and families. Psycho doc, there is a HUGE need for professionals in deaf schools (and in general), so fluency in ASL can only help. When my deaf friends found out I was going into medicine, they were so excited; they said it's near impossible to find a dr who's fluent in sign. Additionally, there are many differences b/w hearing and deaf culture that go beyond language (so a medical interpreter isn't the answer). There are many cultural differences that I never even thought existed until my friends clued me in.
I also thought "the sound and the fury" was a really good documentary, in that it exposed the debate of deafness being a culture vs a disability. I met the dad from it last year (or two years ago?) and he was a really interesting guy. More people in his family (including his wife) had gotten cochlear implants since the filming ended, but he said he never would get one. An issue to be debated till the end of time...
and ASL is such a completely awesome language. imho, it's more expressive than english, no contest. i recommend learning it! :)
anyway, i could post forever but i'll cut it off. let's continue this discussion! Cause there's a lot to be said...
-FB
p.s. pm me if you want

Problems the Deaf Have in Talking With Their Doctors

Summarized by Robert W. Griffith, MD
September 3, 2004

Introduction
If health care is to be effective, complete and effective communication between clinicians and patients must occur. This presents a challenge for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. With the increase in the aging population, more and more patients are faced with such challenges. Harvard scientists have studied where the main difficulties lie, and gathered suggestions for improving the situation. Their report in the Archives of Internal Medicine is summarized here.

What was done

Group interviews were conducted with 26 deaf or hard-of-hearing patients at an independent living center in Boston, Massachusetts. There were four groups - men and women were seen separately, as were the deaf and the hard of hearing. The two deaf groups used American Sign Language (ASL) with the help of a translator, and the hard-of-hearing groups used Communication Access Realtime Translation (phonetic input translated into English on a screen display). All the interviews were transcribed verbatim, and then analyzed independently by three investigators.

Results of the analyses

The numbers of subjects per group were 8 deaf women, and 6 each for deaf men, hard-of-hearing women, and hard-of-hearing men. The deaf subjects' ages ranged from 23 to 51, and the hard-of-hearing subjects' from 30 to 74. Otherwise, the groups were very similar.

The subjects reported difficulties with insurance coverage for hearing aids, audiology services, and prescription drugs. But most complaints related to communication problems. There were six main themes:

1) Conflicting views about deafness: Most physicians, often unconsciously, have fundamental assumptions about deafness that undermine the doctor-patient relationship. This can lead to serious underestimation of the patient's intelligence and willingness to co-operate. Hard-of-hearing people felt that doctors don't take the situation seriously - they merely talk louder, but show no sensitivity or compassion.

2) Different perceptions about what constitutes effective communication: Physicians often request what the patient may feel are inadequate modes of communication - lip-reading, note-writing, or bringing a family 'interpreter'. Doctors don't understand their responsibility to ensure effective communication, which may be costly in time, equipment, or hiring medically-savvy interpreters. With the hard of hearing, doctors often speak too fast and hurry through their checklist.

3) Risks of inadequate communication: Negative outcomes of poor communication include: misunderstood diagnosis, instructions, and information about drug side effects.

4) Difficulty communicating during physical exams and procedures: Not knowing what the doctor or technician is going to do next can be frightening, even alarming. Failure to follow instructions (e.g. "hold your breath" during a chest x-ray) can necessitate repeat procedures.

5) Interacting with office staff: Often it's hard to know when the receptionist calls your name. And when asked to undress, did they say "take all your clothes off", or just some of them?

6) Problems with telephone communications: Physicians don't often have teletypewriters (TTY) or telecommunication devices for the deaf (TDD). And hard-of-hearing patients have great difficulties with office staff who speak indistinctly, and with automated telephone systems.

Suggestions for improvement

The study participants were asked to suggest the main areas to be tackled, in order to improve the situation. Their many suggestions included the following:

1) Basic training for all office staff, including clinicians, should raise awareness of the specific needs of deaf and hard-of-hearing patients, and provide appropriate protocols for dealing effectively with such patients.

2) Resources and equipment should be upgraded to include provision of an ASL interpreter, TTYs, TDDs, and audio sound systems, when needed. A vibrating pager may help with getting the attention of a deaf patient.
Clinicians should ask the patient about their preferred method of communication, and try to utilize it.

3) When communicating, the clinician should always look at and talk directly to the patient, rather than the ASL or family interpreter.

4) Patients should be periodically asked to repeat back critical health information (diagnosis, treatment measures, medication instructions), to ensure that they've understood the important messages.

The published report includes many more suggestions, as well as striking anecdotal accounts that indicate the need for them. If doctors are to provide effective patient-centered care, they must make the effort to meet these needs of the deaf and the hard of hearing. As a patient, you can gently point this out to them.

For anyone who's interested, check out the ASL program at UCSD's med school.

I'm going to hazard a guess that most people in the deaf community probably didnt lose their hearing from loud music.. Can anyone help me out on this one?

i was so exciting to find an ASL thread on sdn. i took 5 semesters back in undergrad, but there is no way i would feel comfortable signing in a medical setting, without an interpreter. interpreters are trained, certified, and very familiar with medical terminology. i'd be thrilled to use my rudimentary skills to say hello to the patient and introduce myself, but i would want an interpreter in order to get the medical message across correctly.

Interesting topic, and i belive that I can relate. This might be the only topic on SDN on which i can be considered an expert!

I was born deaf. I have about a 80-90 decibal hearing threshold, so in other words, i can't hear anything without hearing aids. I was born to two hearing parents, so i was raised with both sign langauge and oral. I had a cochlear implant when I was 13, and now my hearing is quite good. I can lipread and make my way around the current world quite well.

I've always done well in school, which I attribute to being oral for most of my life. Many deaf students have a hard time with english and end up in remedial courses because of communication difficulties. I still require interpreters in classes, but i've been able to get by quite well in school.

I'd like to become a doctor, and i wonder if there are any barriers for a person like me. (can communicate orally, but use an interpreter in classes) I think the idea of treating deaf patients would be pretty neat because i can relate to them. I know an interpeter at uno who was a nurse, and decided to learn sign langauge to help with deaf patients.

Anyways i try to do as much as i can to improve my hearing. I did undergo a lot of speech therapy during elementary and middle school, and i attribute my ability to speak and listen to that therapy. I even took up a musical instrument in the 5th grade (viola), and i was implanted a year later. I still play, in the college orchestra now. It's just a matter of practice, and playing in orchestra has helped my ability to listen to sounds and play in tune, etc. I still struggle in noisy environments though. Wonder if i can use that as a positive for the admissions process...any bit helps right?

--on a side note, if you want a lot of experience with deaf patients, creighton is probably the place to be. It's one of the major centers for cochlear implants, as well as speech therapy. I've spent quite a bit of time there.

While you'll certainly find obstacles golfboy there's no reason you can't become a physician.

It's random but since I've lived near the LA School for the Deaf for a long time I've had a lot of contact w/ the deaf community. Last year I decided to learn ASL and am still taking courses...
It was incredibly frustrating initially but is now something I truly enjoy. We've got a decent-sized deaf community here and it's huge in nearby Lafayette. I think there's a lot of Usher's resultant of the French heritage???

Anyway, I was curious how a deaf person might get through medical school (I mean how do you oscultate the heart/lungs?) but was assured by my teacher she knew many MD's that were deaf pre-college.

While I don't know the specifics it's apparently not necessarily uncommon.

Thanks for sharing the story, I'm glad the implant worked for you, and good luck with your studies. Being so successful in a "hearing" world bodes well for any of your future endeavors.

golfboy said:
--on a side note, if you want a lot of experience with deaf patients, creighton is probably the place to be. It's one of the major centers for cochlear implants, as well as speech therapy. I've spent quite a bit of time there.
And yet their deaf community is sorely lacking :-/

I figured being so close to the Iowa school for the Deaf and having Boys Town here there were be many deaf organizations and Deaf clubs.. but no..

Megalofyia said:
And yet their deaf community is sorely lacking :-/

I figured being so close to the Iowa school for the Deaf and having Boys Town here there were be many deaf organizations and Deaf clubs.. but no..

Interesting... My dad used to work at the Iowa School for the Deaf as the dean of boys. We only lived in Council Bluffs for a year though and it was several years ago. (BTW both my parents are deaf)

I remember there being quite a significant deaf community there (mostly affiliated with the deaf school), but then again Iowa / Omaha / Council Bluffs is not an area which has a very high concentration of deaf people. (like D.C., Baltimore, San Francisco, and Rochester-NY)

As it turns out I finally found some people in Omaha. They were telling me that the people in Council Bluffs has a community that's having issues and is hard to get into .. that they dont really accept new people well.

Anyways these Omaha peeps are awsome and I only wish I had been in touch with them when I first arrived since I'm leaving in two weeks. :(

i havent taken any asl classes yet, but i am extremely interested, i just have to find somewhere near me that offers them...

i learned some sign words and the alphabet in grammar school as a way to talk during class and not get into trouble. i actually had the opportunity to use it while volunteering in the ER. apparently the single sign interpreter at that hospital was out sick or something. crazy. that instance among others ive witnessed in which a language barrier has seriously threatened a patients life has inspired me to study languages (french, spanish, and chinese... common ones for sure, but even so, its scary how often there isnt anyone around to interpret in an emergency. pointing to where it hurts just doesnt cut it in many situations...sign is definitely next on my list)

Hi all,

Just a quick (maybe dumb) question. Do most/some of those in the Deaf culture (who only use sign normally) know enough English to type out what they mean? That would seem like a possible solution in a healthcare setting- going back and forth typing on a laptop or something. That would take out the middle man, and allow the direct communication that is so important between physicians and their patients. I know that sign and English are fundamentally completely different though... I'm not sure any technology could replace a human interpreter though, if the Deaf person did not know English...

Also, just a note on the "Sound and Fury" movie- the parents who chose not to have their child given a cochlear implant during the movie later on did have her implanted.

Thanks!

If an interpreter is not available I think pen/paper or laptop would be a great way to communicate. I think the difficulty lies in trying to go from a visual language, to a written language.

p.s. to the person who interpreted in the ER: Way to go! My ASL instructor told my class way to many stories about non-certified interpreters trying to help out, getting the signs messed up, and getting big-time sued. So now i'm scared to bust out any signs:(

Hi all,

Just a quick (maybe dumb) question. Do most/some of those in the Deaf culture (who only use sign normally) know enough English to type out what they mean? That would seem like a possible solution in a healthcare setting- going back and forth typing on a laptop or something. That would take out the middle man, and allow the direct communication that is so important between physicians and their patients. I know that sign and English are fundamentally completely different though... I'm not sure any technology could replace a human interpreter though, if the Deaf person did not know English...

Also, just a note on the "Sound and Fury" movie- the parents who chose not to have their child given a cochlear implant during the movie later on did have her implanted.

Thanks!

Yes. Some of us are very intelligent, and what we find, is that when we speak, the doctor speaks back, even while he knows the patient is totally deaf.

I countered this problem by bringing a tablet and a pen. I am equally as capable of reading and writing as any doctor or engineer. This reduces the financial burden on the doctor, is a legally acceptable way to bridge the language barrier (even though I speak verbally 4 languages and am fluent in ASL but unfortunately I am 100% deaf), and yet I still find myself being refused treatment due to my being deaf.

One physician had a video interpreter, who interpreted almost everything incorrectly, technology in my mobile device was more accurate and I was able to correct these problems before things went sideways.

I read on here that one doctor would refuse to see a deaf patient and would create excuses to enforce that. I can attest that to be a very poor choice. Dr. Moazzam Kahn, Fairbanks, Alaska, made that choice as my regular physician one day. Wrote "I refuse to see or treat you because you are deaf." Well, I left his office and filed a police report for ADA. 2 weeks later, I find myself in the Walmart parking lot at 1am with the ambient temperature hovering at -54F outside, and Dr. Kahn is asking me to jump start his car because he left the headlights on and it wont start. I looked him in the eye and told him that I will not help him because his skin is too brown, and to let that be a lesson in discrimination against anyone for any reason. His wife almost killed him on the spot.

Please choose to be kind to your patients. They need you. One of these days, you will need them.

And back to my studies I go!

Great site folks!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Some of us are very intelligent, and what we find, is that when we speak, the doctor speaks back, even while he knows the patient is totally deaf.

I countered this problem by bringing a tablet and a pen. I am equally as capable of reading and writing as any doctor or engineer. This reduces the financial burden on the doctor, is a legally acceptable way to bridge the language barrier (even though I speak verbally 4 languages and am fluent in ASL but unfortunately I am 100% deaf), and yet I still find myself being refused treatment due to my being deaf.

One physician had a video interpreter, who interpreted almost everything incorrectly, technology in my mobile device was more accurate and I was able to correct these problems before things went sideways.

I read on here that one doctor would refuse to see a deaf patient and would create excuses to enforce that. I can attest that to be a very poor choice. Dr. Moazzam Kahn, Fairbanks, Alaska, made that choice as my regular physician one day. Wrote "I refuse to see or treat you because you are deaf." Well, I left his office and filed a police report for ADA. 2 weeks later, I find myself in the Walmart parking lot at 1am with the ambient temperature hovering at -54F outside, and Dr. Kahn is asking me to jump start his car because he left the headlights on and it wont start. I looked him in the eye and told him that I will not help him because his skin is too brown, and to let that be a lesson in discrimination against anyone for any reason. His wife almost killed him on the spot.

Please choose to be kind to your patients. They need you. One of these days, you will need them.

And back to my studies I go!

Great site folks!

This thread is 13 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.