The "Dean's List" is an EC? Heh...guess that'll be my only one...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omegadramon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has probably been already discussed to death, but PharmCAS view's the Dean's list as an Extracurricular activity?

But yeah, that's my only "legitamate" one. I did join the Health Careers Society, but I did nothing significant. Can't volunteer at a hospital untill August.

I'm not that bad off....atleast I have all my work experiences going for me.....

Members don't see this ad.

Just my opinion, but I would try really hard NOT to list the Dean's List as an extracurricular. Everyone who's a quality applicant is probably on the Dean's list. It looks like you're trying to fill spaces on a page when you do this on applications. You need to do something as an extracurricular few other students do to separate yourself from the crowd. (for example, Habitat for Humanity, etc., have been done to death, as one of my interviewers told me "Thank God, finally, someone who didn't do Habitat" when she read my application).

If I remember correctly maybe it's a honor/achievement and not an EC?

(for example, Habitat for Humanity, etc., have been done to death, as one of my interviewers told me "Thank God, finally, someone who didn't do Habitat" when she read my application).
I would have liked to have had one of my interviewers look down on anything that I've done in my life. They would have gotten a nice piece of my personality to show. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly maybe it's a honor/achievement and not an EC?

I would think so too, but the PharmCAS instructions on extracurriculars are weird:
PharmCAS said:
EXTRACURRICULAR
Enter related activities you would like your designated pharmacy colleges and schools to review. Do NOT include paid work experience in this section. List activities in order of importance to you. List each activity only once. For instance, if you were on the “dean’s list” for more than one term, list that distinction only once. You may list up to 10 activities. If the activity is ongoing, estimate the future end date. Use MM/YYYY format for dates.
I guess there are some schools that require their Dean's List students to do some extracurricular work outside of earning a grade. Logically, it makes more sense to include the Dean's List as a Honor.:confused:

To the OP, I suggest that you find some extracurriculars to do for this semester preferably not token opportunities like painting a house.:)

I....uh....I did the Breast Cancer walk for the second year in a row.....

I also....um....I was a volunteer for the annual hunger walk!

....Ah, screw it....I'm really grasping for straws. I'll just wait until August, when the hospitals start taking volunteers again.

Is "Magna Cum Laude" an Honor or EC?

....Ah, screw it....I'm really grasping for straws. I'll just wait until August, when the hospitals start taking volunteers again.

Is there a hospice in your town? They really like volunteers, and it would be a very unique place for you to volunteer. Also, the hospice that I volunteered at has their own pharmacy, so I was able to volunteer in the pharmacy; it was pretty neat.

Good luck!

Those are worthwhile opportunities if you can talk about them. I'm sure you have extracurriculars...everyone does. What do you do when you're bored? Don't tell me all you do is work and then study and sleep. I'm sure you're interested in music (maybe you play an instrument?) or maybe you are interested in art (do you draw or like museums? if so, maybe you can volunteer there for a bit to make your interest 'official') Heck, I put down meditation as one of my extracurriculars. I do enjoy meditation, and so I got involved with my university's gym center where they offer courses in meditation. ECs don't have to always demonstrate you're the greatest pharmacist that will ever walk the face of the planet. They just need to point out the you that's inside. For example, if you love reading books, maybe you've helped out at a book fair (no matter how small it is) or helped at the local library, or read books to kids, or whatever! Your interest show the adcoms who you are, not what you are.

For example, that breast cancer walk thing you've done two years in a row. It might seem small to you, but if breast cancer means that much to you, maybe you can get further involved and talk about that as an EC. That being said, make sure you cover your bases, you do need some sort of science/healthcare/pharmacy experience in either work or EC.

Those are worthwhile opportunities if you can talk about them. I'm sure you have extracurriculars...everyone does. What do you do when you're bored? Don't tell me all you do is work and then study and sleep. I'm sure you're interested in music (maybe you play an instrument?) or maybe you are interested in art (do you draw or like museums? if so, maybe you can volunteer there for a bit to make your interest 'official') Heck, I put down meditation as one of my extracurriculars. I do enjoy meditation, and so I got involved with my university's gym center where they offer courses in meditation. ECs don't have to always demonstrate you're the greatest pharmacist that will ever walk the face of the planet. They just need to point out the you that's inside. For example, if you love reading books, maybe you've helped out at a book fair (no matter how small it is) or helped at the local library, or read books to kids, or whatever! Your interest show the adcoms who you are, not what you are.

For example, that breast cancer walk thing you've done two years in a row. It might seem small to you, but if breast cancer means that much to you, maybe you can get further involved and talk about that as an EC. That being said, make sure you cover your bases, you do need some sort of science/healthcare/pharmacy experience in either work or EC.

Ah, thanks for all of the advice.

I have plenty of science type work experiences, so I'm not worried about that. It's just that my application doesn't feel 'complete' because I don't have any hospital/pharmacy experience for an EC. However, I appreciate all the ideas you all have given me.