The Devaluing of the White Coat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Laboratory workers were the first to wear the white coat, because it put a barrier between the various caustic/colored/poisonous substances they were working with and their clothing. Physicians started wearing white coats about a hundred years ago in an effort to seem more scientific and knowledgeable. Physicians are in no place to complain about various lab workers wearing white coats. They just aren't. If they really want to have their own distinctive thing, they need to come up with their own thing, not steal someone else's and then complain when the original wearers are wearing it.

Jesus, this is like the idiots who claim that America is a white country, and what are all these American Indians doing here. They were here first. You're the Johnny Come Lately. It makes you sound like a fool to complain about this.

Who cares who was here first. Buffalo were here before them, so does the land belong to buffalo?

Pro-imperialism.

NP's LOOOOOVE their white coats.

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares who was here first. Buffalo were here before them, so does the land belong to buffalo?

Pro-imperialism.

NP's LOOOOOVE their white coats.

Bacteria were here before buffalo, so does the land belong to bacteria?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this really the crap people are worried about? Here's a clue, if you're proud of what you doing you're kind of like the honey badger....you don't give a ^#$%. I avoid wearing my white coat whenever possible. My feeling of achievement is walking to a patient's bedside and saying "hello, I'm one of the orthopaedic surgeons". Honestly, it's not even that, but knowing that the puck stops at you're feet--you're the one who knows what to do or not do. I've worn scrubs, shirt and tie, white coats and even boxers on an interesting celebration of No Pants Day by our department. None of it is any concern. Knowing what to do is.

Is this really the crap people are worried about? Here's a clue, if you're proud of what you doing you're kind of like the honey badger....you don't give a ^#$%. I avoid wearing my white coat whenever possible. My feeling of achievement is walking to a patient's bedside and saying "hello, I'm one of the orthopaedic surgeons". Honestly, it's not even that, but knowing that the puck stops at you're feet--you're the one who knows what to do or not do. I've worn scrubs, shirt and tie, white coats and even boxers on an interesting celebration of No Pants Day by our department. None of it is any concern. Knowing what to do is.

just curious, couldn't you wear shorts? or hell, even a kilt? :)

Let me be the first to say that it's a ****ing white coat, not a sports uniform or anything significant. I think everyone in this thread is taking doctor fashion a little too seriously.

The white coat is valuable because it keeps fluid and solid off of your nice dress clothes. That's it.

I would much rather have a jersey with my school colors that said "TheMightySmiter, MD" on the back. My jersey number could be my Step 1 score, just to prove to everyone how awesome I am.

Note that, because of how awesome I am, I'm just going to assume that I'll have a sick Step 1 score.

My god this thread is stupid. There is no value in a white piece of cloth and a cat could wear it for all I care.

I thought they wore scrubs, though. :confused:

funny-pictures-kitten-doc.jpg

Laboratory workers were the first to wear the white coat, because it put a barrier between the various caustic/colored/poisonous substances they were working with and their clothing. Physicians started wearing white coats about a hundred years ago in an effort to seem more scientific and knowledgeable. Physicians are in no place to complain about various lab workers wearing white coats. They just aren't. If they really want to have their own distinctive thing, they need to come up with their own thing, not steal someone else's and then complain when the original wearers are wearing it.

Jesus, this is like the idiots who claim that America is a white country, and what are all these American Indians doing here. They were here first. You're the Johnny Come Lately. It makes you sound like a fool to complain about this.

You dont get it. While its true that doctors stole white coats from scientists, the reason everybody wears them today is SPECIFICALLY because they are attached to the relatively high status symbol of physician. The reason nurses and everybody else wants the white coat has NOTHING to do with scientists.

If you doubt this, conduct the following experiment: switch the doctors coats to purple instead of white and watch for a few months to see what happens. I GUARANTEE you that after a few months you'll see non doctors throw away their white coats and get the purple coats instead. I'll give you an even more extreme example -- If doctors started wearing wizard hats en masse, after awhile all the pretenders would follow suit.

My point is this -- despite all the politically correct BS you hear about non-doctors wanting to keep fluids off of them, or to look "professional", its all a crock of ****. The ONLY reason non-doctors want to wear white coats is because they want to pretend to be us.

The white coat was most devalued by this recent medical school phenomenon called the White Coat Ceremony.

It has certainly contributed, but its not as big of a driver as penis envy.

FYI -- now most pharmacy schools, dental schools, NP schools, PA schools, nurse midwife schools, and hospital janitor schools now have their very own white coat ceremony. How special. :rolleyes:

My mom is a Director of Nursing so she gets to wear a white coat. In fact nurses in general get a white coat ceremony too, at least at my school.
As much as I respect nurses, I don't get this.

I guarantee you that the nursing schools didnt use the "white coat ceremony" until AFTER med schools started doing it.

At least the nurses are no longer required to wear little caps some of which were identical to those worn by British housemaids in the early 20th century.

I would go to nursing school in a heart beat if they required those naughty nurse outfits. :D

I guarantee you that the nursing schools didnt use the "white coat ceremony" until AFTER med schools started doing it.

What even is the point of it then? Like someone said earlier might as well tattoo "doctor" or "nurse" somewhere if it's for recognition. I'm excited for the ceremony, to be honest, because I like celebrations of achievements--not coats.

I don't really care for the ceremony, mostly I guess because I feel like I haven't sccomplished anything yet. I mean yeah I got into medical school somewhere, but I already celebrated that a lot when I got the letter in the mail. I'm matriculating at a med school? Whoop de do.

On the other hand, my parents are batshyt insane excited about the ceremony. It's kind of funny because i'm a nontrad and my parents both have white hair and collect SS. But they are packing their bags and flying across the country just to see me pick up a lab coat. That's kind of cute.

Maybe the white coat ceremony is really a spectacle for friends and parents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would much rather have a jersey with my school colors that said "TheMightySmiter, MD" on the back. My jersey number could be my Step 1 score, just to prove to everyone how awesome I am.

Note that, because of how awesome I am, I'm just going to assume that I'll have a sick Step 1 score.

Ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

White coats should be banned outside of the chem lab. Any place where infection is a concern or infectious material is handled should use disposable protective gear.

I understand the political aspect of the white coat, but really it's just a disease vector with pockets.

The only relevant question here I have is at what point of your medical training can you stop wearing white coat and dress business casual?

The only relevant question here I have is at what point of your medical training can you stop wearing white coat and dress business casual?

To be completely blunt, it depends on your age/gender/ethnicity and your sense of pride. If you do not fit the typical patients' concept of what a doctor should look like, without a white coat you might be assumed to be a nurse or a tech. You might also get a harder time from security without a white coat if you're a male minority.

Some institutions are also stricter than others.

Personally I haven't worn a white coat since third year.

White coats should be banned outside of the chem lab. Any place where infection is a concern or infectious material is handled should use disposable protective gear.

I understand the political aspect of the white coat, but really it's just a disease vector with pockets.

So is, um, all clothing? Doctors are supposed to don protective equipment in an isolation room. The fact that many of them don't is a compliance problem and has nothing to do with the type of clothing they choose to wear.

So is, um, all clothing? Doctors are supposed to don protective equipment in an isolation room. The fact that many of them don't is a compliance problem and has nothing to do with the type of clothing they choose to wear.

I'm not talking about an isolation room, I'm talking about essentially all patient interaction.

Obviously changing scrubs or wearing a new disposable gown for each patient is not possible, but clothes used in patient interactions should be changed at least once per day.

Some doctors have their coats washed once a day - the vast majority do not.

Agreed. Let's give this coat to people who just walked off the street and don't know anything about medicine (MS1s).

Let's listen to an opinion about medicine from someone who is in no way affiliated with the field of medicine (you).

White coats are for cosmetologists.

I'm not talking about an isolation room, I'm talking about essentially all patient interaction.

Obviously changing scrubs or wearing a new disposable gown for each patient is not possible, but clothes used in patient interactions should be changed at least once per day.

Some doctors have their coats washed once a day - the vast majority do not.

I think it depends on the amount of contact involved in the patient interaction. My orthopedic surgeon wore a tweed suit in the consultation room and no part of his clothing came anywhere near my body. (Most of the interaction involved looking at radiographs and talking with me about the treatment plan.)

Interactions that involve contact with body fluids are a different ballgame.

I think it depends on the amount of contact involved in the patient interaction. My orthopedic surgeon wore a tweed suit in the consultation room and no part of his clothing came anywhere near my body. (Most of the interaction involved looking at radiographs and talking with me about the treatment plan.)

Interactions that involve contact with body fluids are a different ballgame.

Okay, maybe I should have said patient contact instead of interaction. [:)]

There's an idea for interview day. :laugh:

But what happens, he mused, if you wear pimp clothes every day? Or a priest’s robes? Or a police officer’s uniform? Do you become habituated so that cognitive changes do not occur? Do the effects wear off?

What about the priest's robes? I imagine they could go either way.

I mean, the pimp - overwhelmingly a positive mainstream figure. But the priest?

This is pretty offensive. Don't be jealous that I make more as a doctorate-trained NP than you will in primary care.

False statement and will you have the knowledge of a "primary care" physician?

Yes, she will. Dude, the shift to having DNPs as primary outlets for care has been in motion for a while now.

It's mainly due to a shortage of US MDs going into primary care. The AAMC has a plan in motion to change this that will probably crowd out a lot of mid levels at the cost of a possible decrease in salaries.

There is only a place for DNPs if thee continues to be an under supply and they are willing to accept lower wages than MDs.

future doctors and all health care staff:

please do not wear your white coats/scrubs in public, especially in cafeterias/restaurants. it's gross and defeats the purpose of the white coat use.

also please wash them if they turn brown.

thank you.

This is an interesting article:

"Clothes invade the body and brain, putting the wearer into a different psychological state..."

I guess wearing the white coat makes you feel like you are the ****. :)

This is an interesting article:

"Clothes invade the body and brain, putting the wearer into a different psychological state..."

I guess wearing the white coat makes you feel like you are the ****. :)

VenomDie.gif

You sure they meant clothes? Sounds more like a symbiote.

/geek

Well I'm not sure where the strangest place I've seen people where white coats (besides the undergrad nerds at my school who wear them to school every single day)
But I have noticed that when my dad was in the hospital I seen about 4 RNs wearing white coats. My brother-in-law even confused one of them for a doctor because of it. In my opinion, RNs should have a different color coat if they insist on wearing them to work, in order to limit the confusion. :)

future doctors and all health care staff:

please do not wear your white coats/scrubs in public, especially in cafeterias/restaurants. it's gross and defeats the purpose of the white coat use.

also please wash them if they turn brown.

thank you.

and pretty please do not wear your scrubs in public if they have stains on them :(

It's mainly due to a shortage of US MDs going into primary care. The AAMC has a plan in motion to change this that will probably crowd out a lot of mid levels at the cost of a possible decrease in salaries.

There is only a place for DNPs if thee continues to be an under supply and they are willing to accept lower wages than MDs.

I agree with this, but I seriously doubt the AAMC's ability to curtail this change since the fuel, a lack of primary care physicians, has not been extinguished.

and pretty please do not wear your scrubs in public if they have stains on them :(

They often come out of the machines stained. Doesn't necessarily mean they're dirty.

Unless all scrub machines are placed in locker rooms, people will come to work in them. You can rarely count on then being stocked, so most people stockpile them at home.

I mainly use them as pajamas, towels, occasionally pillowcases. :)

A bit like this scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPRz4WqSU4E

This is pretty offensive. Don't be jealous that I make more as a doctorate-trained NP than you will in primary care.

False statement and will you have the knowledge of a "primary care" physician?

Yes, she will. Dude, the shift to having DNPs as primary outlets for care has been in motion for a while now.

Please read what the poster stated. "I make" is present not future. I'm talking about now and could care less about theories in the future. A doctorate-trained NP DOES NOT make more money than a primary care physician there might be an exception but that sure as hell is not the norm.

The 3rd year nursing students here have a white coat ceremony,

I always felt like doctors wore white coat and scrubs at the hospitals I worked. Or they wore business casual attire with a color-coded badge saying PHYSICIAN +maybe a white coat. The allied health professions also had white coats but theybseemed...different somehow.

I always felt like doctors wore white coat and scrubs at the hospitals I worked. Or they wore business casual attire with a color-coded badge saying PHYSICIAN +maybe a white coat. The allied health professions also had white coats but theybseemed...different somehow.

The hospital I'm currently at actually has all of the attendings wearing grey coats to help differentiate them from the sea of white coats they swim in.