The DO advantge over IMGs in obtaining residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The data in the graphs shows how likely are DO grads to be interviewed and ranked by different program directors, compared to IMGs. Data is taken from the 2016 PD survey. Granted, this is not a perfect survey, given the number of respondents, but still, it's the only data out there.

Green #'s are where one fares better than the other (doing worse = red).

Note that I have taken a more stringent view, and grouped seldom rank/interview with never rank/interview.

One of the observations here is that there are two different pools of PDs. One will look at DOs but not IMGs, and vice-versa.

It also appears that overall, DOs have it easier, even in some of the uber-specialties.

I am grateful to efle and Lawper for looking over the data and providing comments.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I took the sheet down to do some mild editing. Be back later!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This is awesome, thank you for this!

Still don't understand how on earth there are still programs that would rather take an international grad over an American one, but that is a conversation for another time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Still don't understand how on earth there are still programs that would rather take an international grad over an American one, but that is a conversation for another time.

Some newer DO school have worse clinical training than certain caribean school that bought up training sites in NYC.

Reactions: 1 users

IMG includes the best trained physicians from all around the world.

Reactions: 1 user
You're thinking FMG...different from IMG, which is US folks who go to Carib. I agree FMGs are very good.
Oh sorry. I thought they were the same. My friends who try to match from China actually call themselves IMG so I figured they were the same

Some newer DO school have worse clinical training than certain caribean school that bought up training sites in NYC.
Could you give an example if you don't mind?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Could you give an example if you don't mind?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Search for students who report that they did all their clinicals in outpatient offices from DO school versus SGU kids who do it in NY hospital centers.

You're thinking FMG...different from IMG, which is US folks who go to Carib. I agree FMGs are very good.

In your attachment they are non-US "IMG"... But for the SDN discourse, sure FMG.

Search for students who report that they did all their clinicals in outpatient offices from DO school versus SGU kids who do it in NY hospital centers.

Honestly the more people I meet from other DO schools I’m starting to really think that what you mentioned above is a lot more the exception than the rule. Unfortantely it’s these types of experience, no matter how common or uncommon, are what taint the experiences of everyone. As of last year COCA changes their clinical rotation requirements and they are word for word the requirements expected by LCME, which is nice.

Reactions: 6 users
Remember AOA can create their own DO residency. Caribean cannot. AOA is equivalent to AMA in legal term (even though much less popular and prestige). Thus DO will always have advantage over Caribean, which has no power in that regard

IMGs from SGU rotate at the same hospitals as MDs in NY and NJ.

$$$$ Talk$$$$ and BS walks. And hospitals love $$$$$$$

Not really dude.

Most IMGs (especially SGU students) tend to rotate at community centres and city hospital "affiliates" that aren't academic in nature and rarely have USMDs around. I've literally never encountered an IMG on any of my clinical rotations as a med student anywhere in the city, they end up going to financially stressed hospitals who need $$$ from the rotators to stay afloat.

Not really dude.

Most IMGs (especially SGU students) tend to rotate at community centres and city hospital "affiliates" that aren't academic in nature and rarely have USMDs around. I've literally never encountered an IMG on any of my clinical rotations as a med student anywhere in the city, they end up going to financially stressed hospitals who need $$$ from the rotators to stay afloat.

They rotate with sinai students when I was doing an away at Sinai.

EB7E7DC3-4D0B-4DC9-B008-7EDDCB26600F.gif
Not anymore.