The DO magazine, May '08 issue, Gay DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bth7

It's worth it in the end . . .
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-meds!!!!

Check out the articles in this months issue of the DO magazine, the national magazine for osteopathic physicians and students.

Here's my take on the articles:

Many osteopathic physicians and students contributed to this publication. However, I know that there was a great deal of opposition to this article, even before it was published. Osteopathic medicine has a history of difficulty in tackling LGBT health care issues and acknowledging the presence of LGBT physicians within their ranks.
I believe it is worth taking a critical look at Director Crosby's statement in the article. According to Crosby, "the AOA policy prohibits the association from discriminating against any group or individual based on race, gender, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, disability or sexual orientation, including gender identity. This policy is reflected in the orientation manual issued to all AOA bureau, committee and council members, as well as in the AOA's employee manual."

However, the relevant AOA documents state otherwise:

1. The AOA Code of Ethics Section 3: <http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=aoa_ethics>

A physician-patient relationship must be founded on mutual trust, cooperation, and respect. The patient, therefore, must have complete freedom to choose her/his physician. The physician must have complete freedom to choose patients whom she/he will serve. However, the physician should not refuse to accept patients because of the patient's race, creed, color, sex, national origin or handicap.

2. COCA accreditation standard 5.2.2 <http://www.tugsa.net/COCA.standards.pdf>

Recruiting and selection of students for admission to a College of Osteopathic Medicine must not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, or age.

Sexual orientation and gender identity are absent from both policies. Why the discrepancy between Mr. Crosby's statement and the actual documents?

President Aljuni's statement is likewise concerning, "I attribute the fact that this has never been raised as an issue of concern to the strength of the AOA's open policy regarding protection from discrimination of any kind." I have a difficult time with this statement as I know "this" has been raised with him, in person, by many individuals.

Many individuals within the osteopathic family are currently working on legislation within the AOA that would change this situation. Now is the moment to share your story and show your support for gay, lesbian and transgender osteopathic physicians and students, and to thank the AOA for demonstrating the courage the discuss their status.

How to submit letters:
Readers can submit letters for publication in The DO by sending email to [email protected]. Alternatively, readers can write to Letters to the Editor, c/o Patrick Sinco, managing editor, American Osteopathic Association, 142 E Ontario St, Chicago, IL 60611-2864.

Warmest regards & thank you so much for your time,

Bryan Thomas Hopping
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Vallejo, CA
Member, American Osteopathic Association
Member, Gay and Lesbian Medical Association

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you bring this garbage here, you already had this going in the Osteo forum, which I have managed to avoid. Most of us dont care about this issue nor want to touch it with a 400 foot pole.

Wow ... I'm not trying to be insensitive or offensive or anything but the DO that began his to her gender reassignment looks amazing. I never would have guessed she was a transgender individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow ... I'm not trying to be insensitive or offensive or anything but the DO that began his to her gender reassignment looks amazing. I never would have guessed she was a transgender individual.

[*]Brooke Johnson. Life in Transition: Transgender DO provides safe haven for patients. The DO Magazine. American Osteopathic Association. May 2008. p 42-45.
[/LIST]

Dr Christine McGinn, D.O. has an impressive resume:

• Cobra Helicopter pilot for the US Navy
  • NASA flight surgeon
  • Board Certified in Plastic Surgery
  • Member: National Advisory Council for Sexual Health of the Surgeon General of the United States
  • Underwent gender transition in 2000.

An amazing physician. And she's a D.O.!

Bryan Hopping (bth7)

Status
Not open for further replies.