Fellow [Any Field]

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student
"As the secretary for the Committee on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA), my primary undertaking for the next four months will be assisting the committee on their petition with the U.S. Department of Education (ED) to remain the accrediting agency for osteopathic medical schools.

The COCA has to make its case to the ED every five years, and the committee has always done remarkably well in its previous petitions for recognition. We’re going to spend some time reviewing our processes to make sure that we remain one of the best accrediting agencies around, and I’ll be helping the COCA commissioners implement any improvements needed."

Interesting

Reactions: AlteredScale
OP
M

meliora27

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Perhaps LCME could make a stronger push and argue that all doctors trained in the US be graduates of programs that are held to the same standards.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Perhaps LCME could make a stronger push and argue that all doctors trained in the US be graduates of programs that are held to the same standards.
Do you think this new VP is trying to reach out to LCME in any way? By what she's said, it seems like she wants this internal review and self assessment to better enhance the entire group but she does seem to seem a bit ambiguous with what specifically she plans on doing.

Good post!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Do you think this new VP is trying to reach out to LCME in any way? By what she's said, it seems like she wants this internal review and self assessment to better enhance the entire group but she does seem to seem a bit ambiguous with what specifically she plans on doing.

Good post!

Who even knows tbh. I doubt she'll be the hero who ends reckless DO expansion or the one who melds us with LCME or accomplishes anything big at that...

Reactions: Seth Joo

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
She was a previous voting member of COCA. So I would assume her views are similar to the current leadership. I highly doubt anything different than the status quo.

Reactions: Mad Jack

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Who even knows tbh. I doubt she'll be the hero who ends reckless DO expansion or the one who melds us with LCME or accomplishes anything big at that...
The "any improvements needed" doesn't bode well with me.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The "any improvements needed" doesn't bode well with me.
The LCME is way ahead of COCA when it comes to accreditation and keeping up standards, LCME's are much higher, there has been a reckless expansion of new schools, and there are now too many DO schools, many with poor clinical education.

Mr. Mojo Risin

On a moonlight drive
2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2014
L'America
Status
Resident [Any Field]
"As the secretary for the Committee on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA), my primary undertaking for the next four months will be assisting the committee on their petition with the U.S. Department of Education (ED) to remain the accrediting agency for osteopathic medical schools.

The COCA has to make its case to the ED every five years, and the committee has always done remarkably well in its previous petitions for recognition. We’re going to spend some time reviewing our processes to make sure that we remain one of the best accrediting agencies around, and I’ll be helping the COCA commissioners implement any improvements needed."

Interesting
What exactly is interesting here? The LCME must also petition for renewal of recognition as well as implement any changes necessary to comply with recognition criteria.