The doctor job? /job hunting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommyz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my job search for an MSK physiatrist ( Westchester or Connecticut areas) I came across a website called The Doctor Job, where you pay them to do a search for any possible jobs and send your resume, with the assumption that they find jobs that are unlisted.
1) Does anyone know about this site?
2) Have any ideas for finding a job in Westchester or CT?

Members don't see this ad.

The best jobs are unlisted. But is will be much cheaper to cold call practices in your area of interest. Use google map, AAPM&R member list and hospitals in the area of interest to narrow your list. I recently started cold calling in my area of interest and I was told by 2 practices that they are hoping to hire someone next summer but they were too lazy/busy to hire a recruiter and/or advertise the job opening.

I would hook up with 1 or 2 recruiters (they are free for you) and put them on the case, keeping in mind the advice above that sometimes the jobs that are handled by recruiter's are less popular and that is why they hired a recruiter (of course not always)

secondly, I agree with the advice regarding calling hospitals and practices in the area, also ask at your program for alumni in that area

of course, there is the Academy's job board

the Connecticut area seems to have quite a few PM&R jobs, especially in the Hartford area

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I signed up with a few online recruiting companies 2 years ago, when I changed jobs. They had nothing for me. I found my own job by cold calling. Now two years later I can't get my name off the websites and they call my cell 5x a week asking if I am looking for work in Michigan or Pennsylvania, or Florida. Very annoying.

I signed up with a few online recruiting companies 2 years ago, when I changed jobs. They had nothing for me. I found my own job by cold calling. Now two years later I can't get my name off the websites and they call my cell 5x a week asking if I am looking for work in Michigan or Pennsylvania, or Florida. Very annoying.

fwiw I used St John assoc and the other big name PM&R only firm (I forget their name). I never get any unsolicited calls from either.

I used Linda Farr and Merrit/Hawkins in the past. Now Linda just calls the office "to touch base" once a year. Neither found me jobs.

I am looking for a position in the Westchester or SW Connecticut areas and am having some difficulty.... advice?

In my job search for an MSK physiatrist ( Westchester or Connecticut areas) I came across a website called The Doctor Job, where you pay them to do a search for any possible jobs and send your resume, with the assumption that they find jobs that are unlisted.
1) Does anyone know about this site?
2) Have any ideas for finding a job in Westchester or CT?

I hope you did not sign on with this service. Heed the warnings posted by others on this forum and on other websites. It is run by mainly one person, and not an organization as the website will lead you to believe. He will grossly inflate the number of letters that are sent out, not that you will have any way to verify exactly how many were mailed out.

I used them a few years ago, and was extremely disappointed with the lack of results, the horrible customer service, and in finding out that there were no letters sent to most of the key practices or offices in the area that I was looking in. What I finally did was what I should have done initially, instead of trying to rely on a third party to do it- I pulled out a professional membership director, and in conjunction with a web search, identified all the practices in the area, and sent out several dozen CV's and cover letters. I then went on four interviews, got offers for all of them, and then proceeded to pick the one I though was best. None of these offers came from using thedoctorjob, even though this is what it was supposed to do (for several thousand dollars).

I recommend doing your own search of all the practice in the area you're looking at, and sending out your CV and cover letter to these groups, practices or hospitals. It does not sound like that large of an area, so it should not be too hard to put together this list yourself. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
how do you get on a mailing list for job offers?

how do you get on a mailing list for job offers?

Are you sure you want to do that? Your mail box will be full of "wonderful opportunities to expand non interventional pain management in a beautiful rural town in West Virginia " or "medical directorship with a good mix of subacute and inpatient rehab in North Dakota"

So far recruiters have been extremely disappointing. But if you are still interested contact the following people.

1) Jay Rensink
St. John Associates, Inc.
(800)737-2001 x235
(812)332-2727--fax
[email protected]

2) Randy Aswani
http://minermason.com/
[email protected]

3) Rick Clark
http://www.medstaffmatters.com/
[email protected]

4) Linda Farr