The Doctor Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisconsindoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a link showing the salary that would be offered to a job applicant:

http://www.staffpointe.com/search.asp

Examples:

Massachusetts Family Practice/OB LL7149xnear Boston$120 to $300 K (per year)

South Carolina Gastroenterologist LL7106xSouth Carolina$250 K (per year)

California Pediatrician LL3034xsouthern$130 K (per year)

Florida Orthopedic Surgeon LL3004southeast$250 K (per year)

West Virginia Orthopedic Surgeon LL6381W Virginia$350 K (per year)

As you can tell, a lot matters on where you get the job once you are done being a resident. So be smart on your job search and good luck to all of the future doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

Massachusetts Family Practice/OB LL7149xnear Boston$120 to $300 K (per year)

I havent done much research on salaries or anything like that but this big gap between possible salaries has always made me wonder, not just FP, but any type of medicine. Its even in one state....120-300 K is quite the span. Can anyone off an explanation??

I havent done much research on salaries or anything like that but this big gap between possible salaries has always made me wonder, not just FP, but any type of medicine. Its even in one state....120-300 K is quite the span. Can anyone off an explanation??

Depends on your duties. Some practices have each member on call 1-2 times/week and 1-2 weekends/month. Others have no call. Some practices are more laid back and have different types of surgeries spread throughout the day while others are more streamlined doing the same surgery 12x/day. Some have 7 weeks off/year, others 4 weeks off. Some end the day at 4:30p.m., others 7p.m.

Being on call 3x/week vs no call can be the difference of 100k/year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your duties. Some practices have each member on call 1-2 times/week and 1-2 weekends/month. Others have no call. Some practices are more laid back and have different types of surgeries spread throughout the day while others are more streamlined doing the same surgery 12x/day. Some have 7 weeks off/year, others 4 weeks off. Some end the day at 4:30p.m., others 7p.m.

Being on call 3x/week vs no call can be the difference of 100k/year.

Interesting....thanks:thumbup:

Here's what I found on the 2008 Edition of the US News & World Report on Graduate School Rankings for average starting salary:

Family Medicine --> $143,000+ /yr
Cardiology --> $268,000+ /yr
Joint Replacement Surgery --> $407,000+ /yr

The Number One Reason:

Coasts and highly desired areas----> Supply is way up + low demand = low salary
Middle of the Road USA-----> supply is down +high demand = more $$$$$

The Number One Reason:

Coasts and highly desired areas----> Supply is way up + low demand = low salary
Middle of the Road USA-----> supply is down +high demand = more $$$$$
Don't forget the relation to payor mix and the effect being in a well insured can have on a physician's salary.