The doer of deeds...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife found this quote from Theodore Roosevelt. When I was down in the dumps at being rejected by a school I just knew I was a shoe-in; and the fact that the admissions process was winding down, without me being in...she gave it to me. It was very inspirational!! After much pondering, I realized that this was a life-time commitment. So, I was simply going to have to dust off my knees, quit feeling sorry for myself and do it again and again until I finally got my acceptance letter. Here it goes:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high acheivement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Ladies, please feel free to alter the pro-nouns.

smile.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Members don't see this ad.

Very Good Dave,
Seems as those this timeless bit of wisdom has transcended decades and has managed to assist a soul in need. It worked right? After all, YOU'RE IN!
Congrats again

Congrats on your acceptance, Dave. I spent 5 quality years at Truman State University in Kirksville, so if you have any questions about the 'Ville, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Words of inspiration indeed. Thanks. Sean

First of all, Congrats Dave. I too feel your enthusiasm about FINALLY getting accepted.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tracy (edited April 20, 1999).]

The TR quote was given to me when I was eight years old by my baseball coach after we lost the world series. It still hangs on my wall and a copy is on my desk at work. Over the years, the quote has meant more and more. It is nice to see someone else sharing his wisdom.

WUCOMP Class of 2003

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mike Tracy (edited April 20, 1999).]